Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Philly Non-Sports Card Show - May 2022 - Promos
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Philly Non-Sports Card Show - May 2022 - Promos
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hi All:

We'll have a number of promo cards to give away at the upcoming show as will the exhibiting manufacturers. I wanted to post a few of them and will be posting more shortly. As usually, all promos will be given away while supplies last (some will be in shorter supply than others).

Elementals 2 P3 (Perna Studios, art by Danielle Gransaull)

Gamer Girls GG22nsu (5FINITY)

Promo Card Encyclopedia PCE-PH (Todd Jordan)

Also, we will have three red-border Philly Cards to give away.

You can find out more about the Philly Non-Sports Card Show taking place May 21 & 22 at the show website: phillynon-sportscardshow.com

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
LOVE these promos, thanks Harris and Todd

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is the publication of a new Promo Card Encyclopedia also going to take place soon as a card is being issued?

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Was going to ask the same question
If so any info such as price when to be issued etc

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
The back of the card says the PCE online database is coming fall of 2022. It will not be a paper publication as it is just too big now (PCE 2008 was around 170 pages....it would be more than double that size now. And with it online I can show both sides of every card I can possibly get images for.

As for cost, I dont know about that still.

Hopefully someone will find it useful. Thnaks for the interest!

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Todd,

Yeah, I remember when you started talking about doing an online database. Collectors would like an actual book, but in the time since 2008, the cost involved in printing copies has spiraled upward. You might have had to charge as much as $40-50 per copy and you thought about how many copies you'd have to sell just to break even. You thought about how many collectors would be willing to pay $40-50 for a promo guide. A lot of casual collectors would pass on that. Yeah, you could go the Kickstarter route so you wouldn't be forking out as much but it's still a hugely time-consuming task to put it all together and then get it printed and then find ways to sell it and then handle the sales. Some of the 2008 edition listings need updating on top of all the additional listings for 2009 to 2021 or wherever you reach a cut-off point. It's a lot of work just editing what you already had. I see all the work involved for what is basically a one-man band.

Beckett has the same problem with the Almanac. They have cost constraints and time considerations too. There are so many cards and card sets that have been released that it may be unfeasible to assemble a truly comprehensive trading card guide. It would have to be someone's labor of love. Who can afford to put in all the time and not think at all about at least partial compensation? No company can do that. The guide can be only so many pages to charge $34.95 and make enough of a profit to do one the following year but more cards come out every year. The only way it could have worked, I think, is if Beckett had started doing the Almanac about 20 years ago so that collectors would have been used to buying it back then and then gotten into the habit of buying it every year when it would've been cheaper. Adding listings would have been less of a task if it had started that long ago.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the database. It's great that you're releasing promo cards again. What's that artwork from? It looks like something from an old book or something paying homage that that kind of art.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
The back of the card says the PCE online database is coming fall of 2022. It will not be a paper publication as it is just too big now (PCE 2008 was around 170 pages....it would be more than double that size now. And with it online I can show both sides of every card I can possibly get images for.

As for cost, I dont know about that still.

Hopefully someone will find it useful. Thnaks for the interest!

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Todd

Many thanks for the update, personally I would have preferred a physical Encyclopedia.

Somebody else has already got a form of an online image database with over 6,500 cards from their own collection which if I remember you advised us about a while back.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
What Jess said.

John, I too prefer a physical book. But, its just not feasible based on lots of factors, as Jess said so much better than I would. I'm just not a talker I guess. Anyhow, yeah there's a great website with a lot of images and he does a great job. Mine is different and where his is his own collection, PCE is everything and anything that is a card/sticker that wasn't sold as its original means of distribution: promos for card sets (even ones that were issued as promos but were really chase cards with the word "Promo" on them...), comics, video games, home video, movies...toy premiums, food premiums, any product premiums...there will be a great search tool, both sides of the cards will be shown. Theres also the ability to create want lists or inventory lists...

And I find it very book-like (size wise) if you have a tablet to view on.

Believe me, it was a painful choice to stop with the physical book. But a website will allow for more people to access the info than a book, especially a self published one. And that's all I want is to share this information. Whether you are a promo fiend, a passive collector of them, a master set completist, or a sports card person wondering what a card is that they got in a sale. Or if you are selling g on an auction site and just want to snag scans. All if that would make me happy.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post

Here is another promo card that will be given out at the Philly Non-Sports Card Show on May 21 & 22, taking place at The Greater Philadelphia Expo Center in Oaks, PA.

Rittenhouse Archives will hand out this Doctor Who Series 11 & 12 (numbered P2) from their tables at the show.

For more information on the show, visit our show page at phillynon-sportscardshow.com.

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Todd for your reply.

I understand the problems regarding the promo listing being produced in a book form and I agree Jess answered my comment more than adequately.

regards

John

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am up for a on line catalogue even if I have to pay something to be able to access to it.
Publishing costs today would be horrendous not including research and picture wich would add to the end value.
Is there a link to the collection that is already on line
I dont think I have seen it.

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Below are some more cards that will be given away at the Philly Non-Sports Card Show on May 21 & 22, taking place at the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center in Oaks, PA....

Garbage Pail Kids 1a (Topps; art by Chris Meeks, costume by Sam Gras, Saturday give-away)

Garbage Pail Kids 1b (Topps; art by Chris Meeks, costume by Sam Gras, Sunday give-away)

Eule's Vision P3 (Jacob Stem/Chad Heinrich, Saturday give-away)

Eule's Vision P4 (Jacob Stem/Chad Heinrich, Sunday give-away)

For more information on the show, visit our show page at phillynon-sportscardshow.com.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Since we are less than a month away from the show, once again we will be holding an unofficial official gathering after show hours on Saturday, May 21st. The gathering will start at 9:15 at the Uno Pizza at 106 Black Rock Road in Oaks, PA. It’s a short distance from both host hotels on Cresson Blvd, just go out the driveway of either hotel and make a right on Mill Road and follow it across Egypt Road to the shopping strip mall and follow it where it lets off on Black Rock Road, Uno is right across the street. A five minute walk from either hotel and even shorter by car.

Uno Pizza has a nice bar area with plenty of tables around the wall that will work well for our type of gathering, or if available I will request a couple of large tables. Should have ample room at that time of the evening. As usual, it’s just an informal get together, bring a box for a group opening or just come and relax and hang out and talk cards or catch up with other friends and collectors. The menu has a lot on it so there will be something for everyone if you want food or dessert.

Rumor has it that UK Kevin and Curler from Nova Scotia will be in attendance so there will be celebrities! Any questions just let me know.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Since we are less than a month away from the show, once again we will be holding an unofficial official gathering after show hours on Saturday, May 21st. The gathering will start at 9:15 at the Uno Pizza at 106 Black Rock Road in Oaks, PA. It’s a short distance from both host hotels on Cresson Blvd, just go out the driveway of either hotel and make a right on Mill Road and follow it across Egypt Road to the shopping strip mall and follow it where it lets off on Black Rock Road, Uno is right across the street. A five minute walk from either hotel and even shorter by car.

Uno Pizza has a nice bar area with plenty of tables around the wall that will work well for our type of gathering, or if available I will request a couple of large tables. Should have ample room at that time of the evening. As usual, it’s just an informal get together, bring a box for a group opening or just come and relax and hang out and talk cards or catch up with other friends and collectors. The menu has a lot on it so there will be something for everyone if you want food or dessert.

Rumor has it that UK Kevin and Curler from Nova Scotia will be in attendance so there will be celebrities! Any questions just let me know.

Thanks for arranging this Batman! I am looking forward to the show, the gathering, and catching up in person with the regular people as well as the celebrities!!

Posts: 465 | Location: Sarasota, FL, USA | Registered: June 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you are coming Deena!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:

In celebration of the first unofficial official gathering at the new location, SciFi Cards will be offering a limited edition metal promo card to those that attend.

Numbered P70m, this is a metal variant of the show promo available at the SciFi Cards booth during the show. These are limited (numbered to 50), so 1 per person while supplies last. You have to find me to get one, but I'm a big guy, so I'm pretty easy to find.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post

Here is another promo card that will be given out at the Philly Non-Sports Card Show on May 21 & 22, taking place at The Greater Philadelphia Expo Center in Oaks, PA.

Cryptozoic Entertainment will hand out this Outlander Trading Cards Season 5 (numbered P5) from their tables at the show.

The Philly Non-Sports Card Show is just two weeks away now! Hope to see you there.

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Another promo card that's not at the door.

P2 for T. Breyer Unique's Galaxy Girls set coming this summer.

This one will be available, while supplies last, at the SciFi Cards tables at the back of the room. If supplies get short, I will hold some back for those that can only be there Sunday.

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
There are some great promos to collect at this spring's Philly Show.

Count me in for Uno Pizza!

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Didn't want to start a new thread for this... will there be a Card Talk breakfast gathering on Sunday?

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post