Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Chicago Non-Sport Card Show May 21 & 22
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago Non-Sport Card Show May 21 & 22
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Have a great show everyone, I will get to one eventually

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Last minute edition to the daily door prizes...

We will be giving away a 10 Card Eule's Vision 3D Lenticular set each day.

These are First Class lenticulars, and were provided by the creative team at Eule's Vision, Chad Heinrich and Jacob Stem (of Faerie Metal fame).

These will be available as a 2nd prize each day, but the first winner drawn will have choice of the promo set or the box and binder.

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hippiejewel
posted Hide Post
Safe travels everyone. It is supposed to be warm this Saturday. I will have Skinny Pop and cashews with me for snacks.

Jewel Big Grin

Posts: 2035 | Location: Western Burbs of Chicago | Registered: April 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Have a great time at the show this weekend, feel free to buy everything. Wavey

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Great timing. Any non-sport card collector in the area should be salivating. Thumb Up

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope you all are having a great show.

Wish I was there.

Post pics if you have 'em.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Jon, haven't seen you at a show in a while. Hope you can make one soon.
I will be there Friday and briefly on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Just got back from the show a couple of hours a ago. It was a great one! Everyone was so happy to be at a show again, and the dealers were happy to be there. Lots of good stuff on the tables, I picked up some wants from Game of Thrones and Space/Target Moon. Got some great autographs, some nice Benchwarmers, a couple of Game of Thrones and a beautiful Asuka WWE auto. Bought 2 boxes of Walking Dead 4.2 from Joe Leonard for a really good price, and got Glenn and Daryll autos. Dealer Dave Hartman did something really neat, he made an un-official Chicago Card Show set. Only 40 some sets made, with personalities from the show like Ed Webb and Bill and Celeste from Looky Here Cards. He also included Julie (Hippie Jewel) and Me! It's my Rookie Card. The Dinner was small, maybe16 people, but a great bunch. And Ed surprised us with 2 special metal cards. My luck continued after I left. We stopped at my local comicshop and the guy there had a big box with a bunch of Star Trek card sets he had found in his back room. Still have to go through them, but will give away what I don't have.Now, have to go sort some cards...

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you had a nice time. Good to be back at a show. Smile

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Just got back from the show a couple of hours a ago. It was a great one! Everyone was so happy to be at a show again, and the dealers were happy to be there. Lots of good stuff on the tables, I picked up some wants from Game of Thrones and Space/Target Moon. Got some great autographs, some nice Benchwarmers, a couple of Game of Thrones and a beautiful Asuka WWE auto. Bought 2 boxes of Walking Dead 4.2 from Joe Leonard for a really good price, and got Glenn and Daryll autos. Dealer Dave Hartman did something really neat, he made an un-official Chicago Card Show set. Only 40 some sets made, with personalities from the show like Ed Webb and Bill and Celeste from Looky Here Cards. He also included Julie (Hippie Jewel) and Me! It's my Rookie Card. The Dinner was small, maybe16 people, but a great bunch. And Ed surprised us with 2 special metal cards. My luck continued after I left. We stopped at my local comicshop and the guy there had a big box with a bunch of Star Trek card sets he had found in his back room. Still have to go through them, but will give away what I don't have.Now, have to go sort some cards...

Great - Glad you had such a good time

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
I went to the show for a few hours after work on Friday. It was really nice to be at a card show again and it was especially nice to see so many familiar faces. I thought that there was a really nice crowd there. It was gratifying to see so many female collectors there too.

I went there with a goal of looking for some specific cards, but they weren't available. But that just shifted by attention toward filling holes in my "Women of Star Trek" set. I wound up buy some autograph cards from Ed.

Dinner at Burger Theory was really fun. We sat around and caught up on what's happened since 2019, when we last saw each other. As Don has mentioned, Ed was very generous with special SciFi Cards metal variant promo cards. They were a greatly appreciated end to a fun evening.

My wife & I went back to the show today. I once again focused on my "Women of Star Trek" set and got a lot of costume cards and a couple of "extremely limited" autograph cards from Kevin. I was also able to pick up an X-Men 2 promo card I've been trying to find.

Bill and Celeste from Looky Here Cards conducted a social experiment. In their exhibitor information on the show's web site, they said, "At this Show only, the 1st customer to find the Palisades All-American Piggy Patriotic Party Gift figure (a Wizard World, Chicago 2003 Exclusive) in Bill's set-up takes her home!" After many, MANY hints and pointing from Bill, I was able to find the figure and was able to bring it home. (My thanks to Bill & Celeste!) From them, I also picked up a Coca-Cola binder and the base sets for the 4 series of cards. I can add the various promo cards I've collect over the years to the collection.

One card which I was not trying to find was the "Alias: Season Three" A21 David Cronenberg as Dr. Edward Brezzel autograph card. Jeff Allender's checklist site lists that card as "scarce". I was able to buy it for $5.00. David Cronenberg's appearance in "Star Trek: Discovery" season three (and presumably season four) will hopefully cause his "Alias" autograph card to increase in value.

I'd like to especially thank Ed & Kevin for once again hosting this show. It cannot be easy from where they live. This is clearly a labor of love for the hobby for them. Also, I'd like to thank them and all of the various manufacturers for the incredible amount of promo cards that were given to each of the people attending the show.

The Fall show should be even better and I'm already looking forward to it.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That was a wonderful show! A small piece of normal was returned after a long year+ of quarantine. It was great to see all the familiar faces again. Looking forward to the Fall show!

Posts: 2 | Location: Elk Grove Village, IL | Registered: May 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the show reports. Maybe a few others will talk about their experiences at the first show in over a year. It's always interesting to hear what other collectors found and how the dealers did.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
I had a great time at the show. The turnout which included new faces and regulars was excellent. I heard and/or participated in conversations about card supplies, manufacturers, Star Wars, the sources for getting cards, Star Wars, and much more. The guest artist, Randy Siplon, did a outstanding sketch of Grogu for me. Thanks to Ed for making it all possible.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stevetrek:

Thanks to Ed for making it all possible.

We have not heard from Ed, maybe he's still there. Eek

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Great seeing old collecting friends.
The Friday dinner and exclusive promos were nice. Kept busy both days. Looking forward to the Fall show in October.
Thumb Up

I have spoken! - Kuiil

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by stevetrek:

Thanks to Ed for making it all possible.

We have not heard from Ed, maybe he's still there. Eek

Took the long way home... Spent a couple of days with family on the way home.

Getting settled back in. Will update the website and will post here with information on the October 22nd and 23rd show this fall.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post