Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    64th Philly Show 14-15 May 2016
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

64th Philly Show 14-15 May 2016
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Have a safe journey and a great show to all those going. Wish I was. Maybe next year.

Sorry you're going to miss it, Graham. I hope to see you next year!!

Posts: 465 | Location: Sarasota, FL, USA | Registered: June 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Just spend your pounds and come now! Smokin' If you come Debby will come as well!

Shake Head Shake Head Shake Head Shake Head

Without his little cigarettes Debby isn't interested

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
This list of exhibitors for next weekend's Philly Non-Sports Card Show is now on the Philly Show website. See it here:

Philly Non-Sports Card Show - Exhibitors

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted Hide Post
Tony and I will have a binder at the show with a sneak peek of all the Spellcasters II actual printed base and chase cards. This will be the first look at these before we publicly show the images online. Smile

Posts: 2274 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Harris, will the unveiling of the new issue of Beckett NSU be happening at the show?

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Harris, will the unveiling of the new issue of Beckett NSU be happening at the show?

Hi Logan:

Yes, the new issue Jun/Jul '16 of Non-Sport Update will be available at the show. It is shipping right from the printer to the show. I wouldn't really call it an "unveiling" but this will be your first look at the new NSU, as you indicate, with a slightly different page size and some new designs (which I think everyone will really like) but honestly, it's not a huge departure. Our intent is definitely not to rock the boat too much. Smile

Thanks.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elaine Perna:
Tony and I will have a binder at the show with a sneak peek of all the Spellcasters II actual printed base and chase cards. This will be the first look at these before we publicly show the images online. Smile

Thumb Up Thumb Up

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Due to an illness, we've had a last minute dealer cancellation and have two dealer tables available. If anyone would like to set up at Philly Non-Sports Card Show, please get in touch. Email info@phillynon-sportscardshow.com Thanks.

Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
Only four more sleeps...

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody want to trade? I am looking for some Doctor Who Topps 2015 Red Parallel cards and have Red, Purple, and Blue to trade.

My trade list is up-to-date. If you want to trade, just send me an email so that I can bring the right cards to the show.

Of course, I'll be looking to purchase from vendors, too! If you're a vendor and have cards you think that I need, drop me an email so that I'm sure to stop by your table. I am looking to fill in my Harry Potter, Doctor Who, and Game of Thrones Season 4 Beautiful Death gold card gaps as well as other sets I collect.

Deena

Posts: 465 | Location: Sarasota, FL, USA | Registered: June 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
Back from the show now - and what a lot of fun it was! I did take a few pictures, but I can't post them until I get home, so you'll have to make do with a few of my memories of the event.

Saturday was busy. I handed out the first 25 UK CardCast promos, and wandered the hall, getting my bearings. Reintroduced myself to Tom Lichtman of SideKick, and Laura Inglis, who immediately points me at some bargains - I picked up a couple of Warehouse 13 autographs to go with the one I traded with Barobehere; I then found some of the sealed packs for $20 and managed to get the Aaron Ashmore autograph!
Met up with all the artists and bought a cool Deadpool as Groot sketch from the Pernas! There was a good bit of friendly verbal abuse between Tony and I over the course of the weekend (at least, I THINK it was friendly...)
Jacob and Julie of Faerie Metal Photography were extremely nice people and if you ever see them at a show, check out their stunning metal prints - beautiful is an inadequate word to describe them! They handed over the Cliff Tooker tribute card, which was to be sold over the weekend at the prize table - as it turned out, they sold out on the first day - even better, at the gathering on Sunday morning, Bill from Beckett said they would match the money raised for Capital Area Greenbelt, which means the total raised in Cliff's honour is $440! Thanks to all who bought one - they sold out so quickly, I didn't get one for myself! I also met the delightful Natalie, who came inb from California specially for the show, and who brought some nice stuff from Wondercon (including some nice Orphan Black carrier bags!
Lunch was at the Tilted Kilt with Hammer, Batman and Curler - dinner was at the Copperhead, a short walk from the Hilton, at which Tom Breyer generously gave out extremely limited Grimm promos! Afterwards, the traditional Red Robin gathering took place, and a few of us saw the place close for the night (Mentioning no names, but a Certain Editor-in-Chief, and Caped Crusader made an entertaining evening!

Sunday, and more of the same! First, however, the morning gathering, at which Bill from Beckett spoke about the transition from the Toser family to Beckett - to summarise, things won't dramatically change - the same editorial team wil produce the same magazine, but there will be much wider distribution.
The raffle was drawn, and most people got a good prize - particularly memorable highlights were the Ghostbusters Dan Ackroyd autograph donated by Cryptozoic, and the Mars Attacks uncut sheet whic went to Wacky Packs artist George Wright (and it couldn't have gone to a better place!)
Back at the show, I recorded short interviews with the lovely Rhiannon Owens, George Wright, Tom Lichtman, Jacob and Julie Stem of FMP, Danielle Ellison and Samantha Johnson (the latter being the two first time Philly Artist guests!)
I found some nice Doctor Who related autographs from Star Trek sets, including Noel Clarke and Morgan Sheppherd, and an actual Doctor Who/Torchwood autograph - Eve Myles! Also a very nice Ace TARDIS patch!
The podcast will be out sometime after I get back, and I will try to post pictures beforehand, but I returned to the candy store and was just as bedazzled as last time (and now Wolfie can stop drinking for a bit!)
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
A good report Paul. Glad you had a nice time, and I presume most everyone did as well. Looking forward to pictures!

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don!

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quaint1:

(and now Wolfie can stop drinking for a bit!)

Au Res.,
Paul

Danks ery mooch Pul...hic. Drool

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quaint1:
Back from the show now - and what a lot of fun it was! I did take a few pictures, but I can't post them until I get home, so you'll have to make do with a few of my memories of the event.

Saturday was busy. I handed out the first 25 UK CardCast promos, and wandered the hall, getting my bearings. Reintroduced myself to Tom Lichtman of SideKick, and Laura Inglis, who immediately points me at some bargains - I picked up a couple of Warehouse 13 autographs to go with the one I traded with Barobehere; I then found some of the sealed packs for $20 and managed to get the Aaron Ashmore autograph!
Met up with all the artists and bought a cool Deadpool as Groot sketch from the Pernas! There was a good bit of friendly verbal abuse between Tony and I over the course of the weekend (at least, I THINK it was friendly...)
Jacob and Julie of Faerie Metal Photography were extremely nice people and if you ever see them at a show, check out their stunning metal prints - beautiful is an inadequate word to describe them! They handed over the Cliff Tooker tribute card, which was to be sold over the weekend at the prize table - as it turned out, they sold out on the first day - even better, at the gathering on Sunday morning, Bill from Beckett said they would match the money raised for Capital Area Greenbelt, which means the total raised in Cliff's honour is $440! Thanks to all who bought one - they sold out so quickly, I didn't get one for myself! I also met the delightful Natalie, who came inb from California specially for the show, and who brought some nice stuff from Wondercon (including some nice Orphan Black carrier bags!
Lunch was at the Tilted Kilt with Hammer, Batman and Curler - dinner was at the Copperhead, a short walk from the Hilton, at which Tom Breyer generously gave out extremely limited Grimm promos! Afterwards, the traditional Red Robin gathering took place, and a few of us saw the place close for the night (Mentioning no names, but a Certain Editor-in-Chief, and Caped Crusader made an entertaining evening!

Sunday, and more of the same! First, however, the morning gathering, at which Bill from Beckett spoke about the transition from the Toser family to Beckett - to summarise, things won't dramatically change - the same editorial team wil produce the same magazine, but there will be much wider distribution.
The raffle was drawn, and most people got a good prize - particularly memorable highlights were the Ghostbusters Dan Ackroyd autograph donated by Cryptozoic, and the Mars Attacks uncut sheet whic went to Wacky Packs artist George Wright (and it couldn't have gone to a better place!)
Back at the show, I recorded short interviews with the lovely Rhiannon Owens, George Wright, Tom Lichtman, Jacob and Julie Stem of FMP, Danielle Ellison and Samantha Johnson (the latter being the two first time Philly Artist guests!)
I found some nice Doctor Who related autographs from Star Trek sets, including Noel Clarke and Morgan Sheppherd, and an actual Doctor Who/Torchwood autograph - Eve Myles! Also a very nice Ace TARDIS patch!
The podcast will be out sometime after I get back, and I will try to post pictures beforehand, but I returned to the candy store and was just as bedazzled as last time (and now Wolfie can stop drinking for a bit!)
Au Res.,
Paul

It was great to meet you Paul. Smile

I'm sorry that Tony loves to joke around a lot. I hope that you took that as his show of fun and not anything bad. Tony can be quite a handful but is never serious about his verbal bantering. They are meant to be in fun. Wink

Posts: 2274 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted Hide Post
It was really great to be at the Philly Show again. It never feels like we're working or doing a show. It always feels like family. It was really great to see some old and new faces. It's the only time of year that we get to see our friends and fellow card collectors too. Smile

We are sorry that we had to leave early on Sunday. We had a family emergency, but we hope to make it up in the future. Smile

Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
No problem Elaine - I know he was joking... But was I? Wink
Au Res.,
Paul

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I didn't take too many pictures (will try to post some later), but as always, I had a great time at the show. Thanks to everyone (attendees, the Tosers, my fellow dealers and manufacturers) who always make it such a fun weekend.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hola from Cali!

Had a great time attended the Philly NSU card show.  Got to meet fellow Cardtalkers and it was a thrill to finally meet Roxanne and Marlin Toser and the NSU crew. Also got to meet some of my favorite artists, our lovely friends from the UK, Bill D., Deena and Kevin Jr (yay!) as well as hug a few familiar faces (you know who you are).

There were so many cards to look at and drool over but I had a plan and stuck to it. There were collections that made me envious and the dealers were so passionate about cards taking time to tell me stories about how the scored certain cards.

Made a few purchases for myself and others in SD but the fun times were hanging out with each other and spending some time with my buddy Harris. And of course, getting promos to share back home. Loved that the hotel was near both Red Robin and Chess and Checkers but didn't have to worry cause both Deena and Curler were glad to give me lift (thanks!).

Made it back safely and I don't think I can travel red eye ever again.  It is rough and I'm still exhausted from traveling from SD to Allentown within a 50 hour period.  Won't do that again.  But for Harris and the NSU family, it was worth it!  I hope that others from SD or anywhere take a chance and experience a future Philly show.  It truly is an event for the card collector and NSU community. One thing that was repeatedly told to me by others is that they come for the camaraderie more so than for the cards and having been there, it's a very true statement. 

Thanks to everyone for making the trip worth the exhaustion. You all were very kind and made my first trip to PA a memorable one!

Ciao,

NL

Posts: 806 | Location: san diego | Registered: December 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
It was lovely to see old and new (NL) at the show. Seemed to spend a lot more than I expected. Got 2 lovely commission sketches from Danielle Ellison - plus another couple of sketches a disappointing box of STNG cards plus some metal cards. Saw the new Perna set - Very nice. At the Sunday Card talk meeting we had an interesting talk by Beckett regarding the future of NSU - all seems to be OK, but didn't hear for Editor Alan which is usually a fun talk. Tom Breyer gave out some Grimm cards at the show and in the Evening - Thanks Tom. Fun show to come to - my 6th Spring show in a row, well worth the vist. It was good to see Paul Bines from the UK and Curler from Canada too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,