Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA at Comic-Con
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted
Like last year, PSA will have a booth at Comic-Con with some nice giveaways. They are at booth #5617 this year.

They'll have PSA Graded samples of Rittenhouse Game of Thrones cards and 1992 Impel X-Men trading cards along with free copies of the August 2014 issue of SMR (Sports Market Report) magazine, while supplies last

Despite its title (and a few pages with a sports-card price guide), this is VERY MUCH a non-sports card themed magazine, and a high quality full color one at that.

The articles include good ones on the previously mentioned Game of Thrones and X-Men cards, plus some nice features on vintage Mickey Mouse and Zorro TV show cards plus a feature on Godzilla collectibles and more.

Godzilla is featured on the magazine cover, and as they did last year with the "Walking Dead" inspired original art painting that graced last year's Comic-Con SMR magazine, they will be giving away the acrylic-on-canvas Godzilla cover art by artist Arthur K. Miller, valued at more than $3,000, already custom-framed to be carried directly out of there by the lucky winner on Sunday chosen from those who entered random drawing at the PSA booth earlier in the convention.

I actually already have the magazine as I was sent an early "comp" copy since a couple of months ago, I was contacted by Kevin Glew, the writer of the article on the "Game of Thrones" cards, basically with a questionnaire about them, which I was happy to fill in and return, since it is one of my current favorites. Along with my comments, those of a few other collectors, and some from Rittenhouse boss Steve Charendoff himself, the writer put together a really excellent piece, an archival quality encapsulation of the details and value of the first three GoT sets, with card values that were very much accurate at press time. Rittenhouse provided the card images used, and they are sharp and well chosen.

When I filled in the questionnaire, I wasn't totally sure where or even if my comments would appear in actual print, but now that they are, it is a bit of a thrill to see them on the printed page, especially considering this magazine should have a pretty large print run, considering quite a few will be given away at Comic-con in addition to those sold elsewhere along with subscriber copies. (Cover price is $5.95 on this magazine). I can now have a tiny sliver of the sense of what it must be to have the God-like power of someone like Harris Toser.

Anyway, check the magazine out, especially if you can get a complimentary copy in San Diego later this month. It's very much worth a read, with well written text and copious full color photo illustrations throughout.

Here's a look at the cover art from the issue in question. I'll definitely be entering the contest for it. Would love to hang this on the wall!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3325 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I wonder if anyone will take a PSA card to them to have it removed without damage so it can be put in a binder?

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Very interesting!! I wouldn't mind picking up a copy of this issue of SMR.

Also....God-like power...ha! But thanks, chesspieceface.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I should note that the various NSU Magazine features on the three "Game of Thrones" card sets that have been released constitute the original compendium of excellent information regarding this line of cards, but it is nice to have a full overview of all 3 sets in a single magazine.

Looking at the magazine again, pretty much all of the features were written by the same Kevin Glew. Along with the Tosers, the various NSU columnists, and lone fountains of information like Misters Cracknell and Allender, Kevin must be among of the hardest working people in card reporting!

Posts: 3325 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think Ryan and Kevin work harder than I do to fill the fountain. I still have to pay attention to that pesky day-job. Smokin'

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post