Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Baltimore Comic Con 2015

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6236037711/m/5117047776

August 09, 2015, 07:25 PM
Batman
Baltimore Comic Con 2015
Harris and I are attending on Friday anyone else thinking of attending?

August 11, 2015, 12:26 PM
barobehere
I just left Baltimore. I was at Bronycon with my son.
August 17, 2015, 06:42 PM
WandringRebel
They've just announced that Katie Cassidy and Paul Blackthorne (both known for roles on "Arrow") will be at the show this year.
The artist lineup is always impressing and there are always a fair number of artists in attendance that have worked on sketch cards.

August 18, 2015, 09:31 PM
Ted Dastick Jr.
quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
They've just announced that Katie Cassidy and Paul Blackthorne (both known for roles on "Arrow") will be at the show this year.
The artist lineup is always impressing and there are always a fair number of artists in attendance that have worked on sketch cards.

Ugh. I really hope this isn't a harbinger of them trying to turn this into another Wizard-type of celebrity-driven show. The best thing about the Baltimore Comic Con is it's usually strictly about COMICS. I haven't attended in a few years so this may have been happening recently, I just hope it doesn't spiral into something else. Frown
August 20, 2015, 10:31 AM
Darth Smittyous
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
Ugh. I really hope this isn't a harbinger of them trying to turn this into another Wizard-type of celebrity-driven show. The best thing about the Baltimore Comic Con is it's usually strictly about COMICS. I haven't attended in a few years so this may have been happening recently, I just hope it doesn't spiral into something else. Frown

Peter Mayhew was there last year, so maybe the promoters are starting to branch out a bit. Edward James Olmos will also be at the show this year.

I have mixed feeling about this. I do like the comic focus of the show, and I don't want to see regular show attendees (meaning dealers and artists) get pushed out my celebrities. However, I don't see the promoters adding celebs as a necessarily bad thing. I usually go to the show any way, but I am more likely to do so now, as I would like to meet Katie.

As a resident of the DC metro area, the Philly Wizard World show is the closest opportunity to meet more of the higher profile celebs, and I haven't been to that show in years. WW Richmond started last year, but I think it was actually worse this year than last. Awesome Con in DC has gotten big over the past few years, and seems to have a balance between comics, artists and celebs, though it would not surprise me at all if it becomes a WW show too.
August 20, 2015, 11:55 AM
Raven
Back in the day when there were small comic and card shows run by local promoters, the purpose of adding a couple of guest signers was to increase attendance.

Every one of the promoters told me that they did not expect to make any money on the guests at all, just breaking even was the goal. But the guests brought in people that wouldn't normally attend and they would buy something else from the tables.

As with everything else, this doesn't necessarily work anymore because it has become too much. There are too many guests at one time, the lines are too long and take away too much time, the autographs cost too much, the people coming for the guests may have no interest in the rest of the merchandise being sold or they have no money left over, so they don't buy anything from the dealers.

I think celebrities can be a great draw for a show, but it has to be done right. And that is the problem. No one seems to know how to do it right!
August 20, 2015, 06:23 PM
Graham
The way it's done in the UK is that you get a numbered ticket. You only queue when your batch number is posted. That way you don't have to wait in a queue for hours. The dealers are happy with this because, as you say, there may be people there that don't usually go to shows, that would now wander, browse and maybe purchase something.
September 20, 2015, 12:15 AM
Batman
Anyone going on Friday?

September 24, 2015, 11:53 AM
non-sportcards
I will be helping Terrys Comics again. Don't know the booth number but the show isnt that huge so people should be able to find us. Card wise also should be Wayne from Zenos Books.