Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    June 5th Chicago Expo & the Action Figure Show
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

June 5th Chicago Expo & the Action Figure Show
 Login/Join

Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
Paul
make sure you think of us that are too far away to travel to this show
if there are any extra Breygent promo's Smile

Posts: 438 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hippiejewel
posted Hide Post
See you all tomorrow......

Jewel Big Grin

Posts: 2035 | Location: Western Burbs of Chicago | Registered: April 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Went to the Midwest show today and had a great time. It was great to see everyone, Paul and Diane, Ed, Iggy, Bill from Looky Here, Hippie Jewel and Kennywood. I don't think any other card talkers were there.
The show was divided into 2 rooms, one for cards, one for toys. It was sad to see the toy room was packed much of the show, at least more than the card room. I went through the toy room, didn't see much I was interested in, but one dealer had cards! He had singles of Cereal Killers, so I am now down to only one need for this set. i also picked up a boxed set of 50 Creepy cards - covers from the old Harris magazine.

In the card room, I got a Buffy figure of Willow from Looky Here, a boxed set of American Vintage Cycles Series 2 for only $5. I picked up some inserts from Star Wars galaxy 6 and some Bond needs from Iggy - who always has the best prices.

Got a bunch of stuff from Ed, a box of James Bond Mission Logs. It had many inserts that had been in my first box, including the relic card, and Ed was kind enough to swap me some of my needs. I picked up a 3 pack of Monsters, Zobies and Freaks, I'll post my results later, but got some neat cards. The best was one pack of Classic Movie Posters from Breygent - got a neat Adam Cleavland sketch of a giant spider smashing a truck - and an autograph, Gary Conway.
Lastly, bought a box of Benchwarmer Vault from Ed. Got 5 autographs and a Kiss card, and a box of Benchwarmer 2003 Series 2, which had 2 more autos.

The feel of the show was a little somber - Paul announced he would cease to host the Midwest Show after the September finale. He always manages to throw a good party. Once again I won a door prize, this time the 75 Years of Fun Mickey Mouse Fimography Boxed set.

It was great talking with everyone, had a fun time. Promos for the show were the 2 Breygent offerings, very nice of Tom and Stewart to provide these for a small show like this. Ed also had another of his Alien cards at his table, and these are fun, nice of him to do these for us collectors.

Look forward to the final show - Paul has promised a celebrity breakfast. Hope to see more of the regulars there.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great show. . . sucks I couldn't make it. . . especially given the news. . .

Any indication why Paul was going to cease running the CECE? Is there anyone lined up to continue running the shows?

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I would like the promos if anyone has extras to trade, I got a lot show exclusive promos to swap. That's sad news about the show, I hope someone steps up to fill the void. Kudos to Paul for all the hard work he put into these shows. Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of venom5liter
posted Hide Post
Had a long week so I didn't get there until around 1 PM just to pop in. Hope to see everyone in the Fall.

Trade List | Want List | NonSport Collection | Wrestling Collection | Facebook

Posts: 1857 | Location: Sugar Grove, IL, United States | Registered: October 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hippiejewel
posted Hide Post
Ed was kind enough to trade for one pack of LOST relic cards. They did a nice job. I do know that I'll never complete this set. But it was fun to trade for it.

I asked Diane why they were stopping and she told me that they wanted to do more hands on things for the charity. Which I can understand. But I do agree that Paul and Diane and their helpers make everyone feel welcome.

September will be bittersweet I'm sure.

Jewel Big Grin

Posts: 2035 | Location: Western Burbs of Chicago | Registered: April 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Sunday was a busy day.

Started loading in a 7am and was mostly ready at 9am for the early birds that started showing up.

The room was quite busy in the morning, with less people toward the end.

Sales were good. Base sets were the winners if you count the number sold. Many went to the Toy Show people who came in and had not seen the cards before, so they were just starting collecting. Boxes were strong too.

It was good seeing Jewel, Don, Kevin, Mike, and several regulars that I don't think are actually on Card Talk.

Made a few trades and purchases too. So I came home with 6 more binders full of cards that I didn't leave home with.

Paul's announcement had most people surprised. I have it on very good authority though that the show will continue on in some form after September. New name for sure. CECE will always be Paul's show.

Have a few pictures on Scifi Cards Facebook page.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear that Paul will no longer be doing the CECE.
I'm in the midst of a forced move to Chicago and I was psyched about being a half hour away from the show. Even planned on setting up in the Spring.
I sure hope someone picks up the ball.
I wish you all the best, Paul.
I look forward to seeing where you go next.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post