Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    ★ ★ Chicago Non-Sport Card Show October 3rd & 4th ★ ★
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

★ ★ Chicago Non-Sport Card Show October 3rd & 4th ★ ★
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Back from FL just in time to reload for Chicago.

Thanks to all those that have contacted me about trades.

Anyone else interested please check out my THREE postings on the Card Trading thread...
especially the...COMPLETING SETS...post.

Bring what you have we will try to work somethin out, ya'll.

See u thar. Wave

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:
Fundraising Announcement

There will be 2 fundraising efforts at next month's show..

First, Paul will be set up with all sorts of offers for those that want to support the Pediatric Oncology Treasure Chest Foundation. One of the big pushes is items for teens, so Paul is looking for gift cards, DVD's, and maybe even boxes of cards that teens may like. This is a forgotten segment of the kids that the Treasure Chest Foundation supports.

Second, is a fundraiser I'm doing...

For those that have been to the Chicago Show, you'll probably remember Bill from Looky Here that is always set up right in front of the entry doors.

Well, Bill is battling colon cancer as I type this. And, he still plans on being at the show. But the family is experiencing some financial shortcomings from medical bills along with the normal day to day things that accrue while Bill is undergoing treatment.

So, to support Bill and his family, I'm dusting off a metal variant promo, P5m with art by Daniel Gorman. These were originally given out at SDCC this year by Faerie Photography to showcase their great metal cards. I have 50 left of the original 101 printed. So, I'm going to give anyone that donates at least $20 for Bill and his family a Shiny new promo card. 100% of the proceeds goes to Bill.

So there's our two fundraisers. Each a worthy cause.

Ed

I've had several inquires, so here's the scoop...

If I have copies of the metal promo left I will make them available to anyone who wants to donate. The funds will be transferred directly to Bill. I'll even pick up the postage. However, with my pending move they may not ship until November. I'll try sooner but no promises.

Ed

As Ed mentioned earlier in the post, the room will be abuzz with fundraising activity. Bill has a beautiful piece of original artwork of Indiana Jones, done by Connie Faye. It is a piece that the lucky winner will be OH SO PROUD to put in their collection.
Raffle tickets will be available for just $ 5.00 per ticket or 5 tickets for just $ 20.00.
The artwork will be on display at the CECE table, so please stop by and help support this fundraiser for our good friend Bill.
The money will be going for a good cause and you will have multiple chances of winning a great piece of ART.
Secondly, I will be appearing at the show, on behalf of the Pediatric Oncology Treasure Chest Foundation. I will have the Treasure Chest of Art, promo cards, and art prints available for sale and also raffle items.I will be hosting numerous silent auctions throughout the weekend. I will be accepting donations of DVDs, CDs, and Gift Cards as well as trading card sets and unopened boxes and Sealed toys. So, please if you have extras or unwanteds, please bring them to the show for donation to help children with Cancer. All help is greatly appreciated.I will have the table outside the main entrance of the show.
Take care and see everyone in a few hours.
BTW, who all is coming to the dinner on Friday night ? I plan on the festivities.
Thanks, Paul

Posts: 955 | Location: HICKORY HILLS IL | Registered: April 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Hope you have a GREAT show Thumb Up

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Busy day in Chicago today. Looking forward to another day starting early in the morning.

We had a great informal dinner gathering and people were treated to a surprise of a Dexter promo from Tom and Breygent and a metal version of the shop P9 promo with art by Mikey Babinski courtesy of Scifi Cards.

Looking forward to seeing more friends tomorrow, but I'm sure there will be a fair share of goodbyes as the show winds down tomorrow as it's my last show in Chicago.

Off to bed, have to be there early in the morning.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice crowd at the show today. . . Looking forward to being able to walk around a bit tomorrow since I'll have help. . .

Definitely will be a bummer not seeing Ed at the shows anymore.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Another great show, and I'm going back tomorrow. Made some super trades today with Loves Me Some Cards, Rod S. xtime and Greg Geerts.
Picked up Bill DeFranzo and we had lunch before the show. Bill had his first White Castle meal, and as far as I can tell, he is still okay.
The 2 dinner cards were a nice surprise.
Will post pictures and a full report on the NSU Blog later this week.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
treated to a surprise of a Dexter promo from Tom and Breygent and a metal version of the shop P9 promo with art by Mikey Babinski courtesy of Scifi Cards.

Ed

GREAT news for those attending - NIGHTMARE for Dexter Collectors Clap Frown

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eng621
posted Hide Post
Had a great time today! Was able to pick up a few sketch cards, autos and a few inserts. Also a SOTE metal card set with an Auto card from Hugh Fleming.

I can't wait till the next show!

Posts: 113 | Location: Yorkville,IL., USA | Registered: April 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hello All,
Thanks for everyone that came out. Thanks Tom, for providing the nice card for dinner. Special thanks to everyone who particpated in the raffle for Bill and made donations to the Pediatric Oncology Treasure Chest Foundation.Thanks Connie for that wonderful piece of art! The raffle was a HUGE success. We were able to take in several DVDs and some cards as well.
I had a great time at the show, as always.It was nice seeing the people again and can't wait til Spring for the next one.
Again, Ed, we wish you and your family well, and a safe journey to your new digs.
If anyone has anything for the Foundation, please check my website and sign up for our newsletter. I will be updating with the show schedule and product/donations will be accepted at all the shows I will be at.If in doubt, please email me directly at cecexpo@gmail.com.
Thanks again for everything!
Paul

Posts: 955 | Location: HICKORY HILLS IL | Registered: April 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Back home in MO.

In a word...FANTASTIC. Dance

Great visiting with old friends...Don, John, Lou, Carl, Iggy, Sharon(Lovemesomecards), Jon, Rod, Greg, Paul...and made some new friends.
Show was busy both days with quality collectors.
Ed arranged a nice lot of exclusive promos including two dinner promos. We had about 20 attend the dinner Friday night. Order the Brickhouse or Farm burger with homemade chips. Drool More than enough food for two people, and the service was top notch.
Lots of buying, selling and trading going on. An abundance of modern sets, chase, sketches, autographs, pieceworks, wax boxes and packs. Plus, a lot of rare vintage cards...Lost in Space, Outer Limits, Three Stooges, and more.
As always, the hotel was clean, comfortable and accommodating. Smile
Normally I post an inventory, however it is enough to report that on this trip I barely had room to haul it all home. Eek
Thanks to Ed and Kevin for arranging a great show.

See you all in April. Wave

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Don's Chicago Non-Sport Card Show show report is now online on the NSU blog:

More Cards Than You Could Shake a Stick At

Along with the review are a bunch of pictures from the show.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Great report and photos. Glad to see everyone had a nice time. Smile

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice write up, Don!

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Thank Jon. It was a good show, no complaints.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Rod S

Are you still looking for some Game of Thrones Season 3 parallels. If so, please email me. Sorry, I could not make it to the show.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Rod S
Please email me x4741@hotmail.com, thanks.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Brimaster
posted Hide Post
Sorry to bring up this old post but I was wondering if anyone knows how Bill from Looky Here is doing?
Do not think I will not be doing the Chicago shows anymore and have not gotten any responses from e-mail inquiries so just was thinking about him and how he is doing.

Thanks and again sorry for bump this older post.

Posts: 855 | Location: Somewhere | Registered: April 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Bill posts on Facebook occasionally. He is still undergoing treatments, and keeps up his usual good spirits. His wife Celeste, his co-workers and his own positive outlook keep him going.Hopefully he will beat the cancer and can get back to being a regular nerd like all of us.

He still goes to the shows, and I saw where he one of the first to sign up for an event in Sept that Paul M is planning.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Brimaster
posted Hide Post
Thank You Don!

Much Appreciated.

Posts: 855 | Location: Somewhere | Registered: April 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
Brimaster, thank you for bumping this thread. I had been also thinking about Bill as of late.

Don, thanks for the update. Glad to know that his spirits are up. I'll have to try and connect with him through Facebook.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post