Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Collectormania - Milton Keynes 13-14 June
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collectormania - Milton Keynes 13-14 June
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted
Anyone going? I notice a few signers have dropped out.

Hoping to be there Saturday morning

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Why are you hoping just get up and go! Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Why are you hoping just get up and go! Big Grin

Ha ha ha ha ha

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
When Collectormania was in the shopping centre, it felt like something special. The big plus for the dealers and organisers was that it was free and attracted a lot of passing trade that wouldn't normally go to a show. It also had the added attraction of introducing children into our wacky world.
After a few years, the show was transferred to MK Dons soccer stadium. This felt a bit souless and open to the elements, but it was still free.For quite a while, we were promised the conference halls, which again would give protection from the weather. This eventually happened. Again, the show would remain free.
The next show has an attached charge of £5.00 for early-bird entry. The reason for this, we're told is the extra cost of using the halls. £5.00 is not a great deal, except for two two reasons this show.
1. It has been moved back to the open air of the stadium. Great if the weather is good, but I've witnessed star signings where they're wearing gloves and overcoats.
2. Those people that have photoshoots at the beginning of the day have to pay the charge.

With 11 guests (so far) dropping out, I think this is one I'm going to give a miss. The organisers need to raise their game or I can see this show disappearing Shake Head

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
We were going but am now not doing so, hope everyone going has a nice time.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I never knew of this show back when it was in the shopping centre and have only known of it at the MK Dons Stadium, which I think is horrible and bizarre venue.

Over the last couple of years it does feel that this event, and its guest list, has become something of an afterthought compared to LFCC which continues to get bigger and bigger.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I agree with Graham that the show at the shopping centre was fun and made a good day out regardless of the weather.

We have had some chilly mornings at the MK stadium! I liked the the new Hall last time I went and I still think this should be one of the Top shows that showmaster run. I will be interested to see what this show brings.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
It's not only signer's who have dropped out, dealers have aswell, if you are going you may want to check first that the people you are going to see are actually going to be there.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of red99
posted Hide Post
Which dealers aren't doing it that normally do Wolfie?

Posts: 180 | Location: UK | Registered: April 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by red99:
Which dealers aren't doing it that normally do Wolfie?

I best not quote individuals as I may be wrong and then I will be in trouble...........again. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Had a message from a collector at the show. "Fiasco" was the word he used Shake Head

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Probably got something to do with the weather. Holding an outdoor show in this country is just asking for trouble Shake Head .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
It was a fiasco, hall was double booked so some vendors were in a large tent on the outside of the stadium. Water had got in under the bottom of tent and soaked some sellers stock, one seller from Belgium lost original movie posters as they had some on ground. They still charged the £5 early bird but didn't tell us at the gate it was a tent we were paying for. This lot are crooks Mad

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I feel very lucky that I did not go to this but I also feel very sad that this show has gone from a fantastic free show in the shopping centre to a wet tent with an admission fee. Shake Head

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Weird one this show. Haven't been for two years and it definitely feels like it is going downhill.

I turned up at about 4pm on Saturday as I only needed to meet one guest, and apart from a fair amount of cosplayers, the show was near enough dead. I have never seen the concourse so empty even that late in the day. The tent the stalls were in was pretty shambolic with drips from the ceiling and sandbags lined up on the floor trying to keep the rain out. Around the concourse there didn't seem to be all that many dealers. Felt like there was a bit less than usual, but maybe that's just my perception because they were all spread out. This show was nice in that it is a very relaxed affair now, but it really pales in comparison to LFCC which is far more impressive in every respect.

On the upside, Steven Williams was a superb guest who really made the effort with everyone. Was clearly enthusiastic about being there. It would be perfect if every guest were as pleasant.

I was also quite pleased with my modest trading card haul seeing as I tend to mostly eBay these days. From Umbrella Trading Cards...
- Bond Archives 2015 Philly P3 Promo for a more than reasonable £3
- Star Wars ESB Illustrated 10-card poster set for £6
- a cool ESB illustrated colour sketch of Vader for £25 by an unknown artist who I have since found out is Joel Biske
For reasons far beyond price, I was in a bit of a pickle at the show and Paul at Umbrella is a great dealer who I would thoroughly recommend to anyone.

Finally, I found one stall had an Alien Legacy Inkworks binder I have wanted for years. The seller did it me for a tenner down from £20 without me even asking. Very happy with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post