Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    C2E2 - April 26-28, 2013
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

C2E2 - April 26-28, 2013
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kennywood,

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've been blogging about it already. . .

The Kevin Smith Q and A looks awesome, and it's cheap. . . Wish I would have been able to get premium tickets for that. . .

Also the Hunger Games prop display should be very cool.

Last year was *very* light on non-sport dealers. . . Hopefully there is a better presence this year.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually I don't think it's a cost issue. . . C2E2 draws a huge crowd, but it seems like a lot of the attendees are not collectors. . .

Several dealers have set up over the years, but they don't seem to do very well with cards.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Well, it is a bit of a cost issue... If the cost was not so expensive I might give it another try.

But, the year I set up I was charged for:
Booth Space
Tables and coverings which they got wrong
and... I had to pay to get a pass to unload at the loading dock! Confused

I lost some serious money at that show. Too big an investment to try the waters again.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
. . . Are there any dealers going to C2E2?

I don't see a single card seller listed on their site. . .

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of venom5liter
posted Hide Post
I think I might go this year, but only to meet Ron Perlman.

Trade List | Want List | NonSport Collection | Wrestling Collection | Facebook

Posts: 1857 | Location: Sugar Grove, IL, United States | Registered: October 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
. . . Are there any dealers going to C2E2?

I don't see a single card seller listed on their site. . .

I think I found the problem...

I downloaded the Exhibitor PDF on the website, primarily looking to see if space was still the same price. They don't have pricing in it at all, but they did have some interesting facts:

• The age and gender graphs are pretty much as expected.
  • I was surprised they even showed the graph that the attendees are 76% Caucasian. No other ethnicity was over 9%.
  • 48% of the 41000 attendees spent LESS THAN $100. Given the price of autographs, that does not leave much for dealers.
  • And if you figure in the next level, 82% of the people spent LESS THAN $200

Now, I'm sure this does not count admission, if it does then it's even worse.

With per cap spending that low, there's not much money floating around especially when you consider autograph and photo prices at the show.

Now I understand...

Ed

•  
    Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Ahh, the old 80/20 rule. . . I have no idea how this compares to other conventions, and at first I was thinking that was shockingly low (and it may be) . . . but thinking the other way that means that around 7500 people spend $200+ . . . that's what -- 1.5 million dollars just assuming all of them spend $200.

I have no idea if that is good or bad, and it certainly looks like they aren't spending money on cards as fewer and fewer card dealers and manufacturers are showing up. . . sad.

Picture of Scifi Cards
    posted Hide Post
    Actually, they break it down in more detail:

48% Spend less than $100
    34% Spend $100-$200
    13% Spend $201-$499
    4% Spend $500-$999
    1% Spend $1000+

Now, I have no idea how they come up with 41000 attendees. If that is one per badge issued, then it's not so bad.

But, those sales are spread between 300 exhibiting companies and 400 members of Artist Alley. Plus the huge number of guests with autograph fees and photo fees.

Obviously, they're getting more people in the door now. Might be worth revisiting the show one day, but I still have nightmares about that show.

Ed

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
    Obviously, they're getting more people in the door now. Might be worth revisiting the show one day, but I still have nightmares about that show.

Ed

Honestly . . . as much as I'd love to have non-sport dealers at the show year after year less card dealers set up. . . Whatever those folks are spending money on -- it doesn't seem to be cards. . .

I always find the crowd to be very interesting -- more like a bunch of people that are in Chicago who are looking for something to do rather than collectors who are seeking out a convention. For all I know they could be spending $200 on admission and food -- it wouldn't be hard to do if you are at the show for several days.

Wizard World on the other hand was jammed with dealers last year, and lots of 'em said they did very well so hopefully we'll see a big crowd then. . . Not sure when GOT2 and Parks and Rec come out, but I was hoping to find some at C2E2. . . not likely now, even if they are out. . . Of course I'll be looking at the Chicago Non-Sport show too. . .

Jon

posted Hide Post
    Shh. . . I was trying to keep that to myself. . . Kidding, but I will be picking up some sets of that. . . hopefully they're Breygent products. . . been trying to find a bigger pic, but haven't had any luck.

Bronze Card Talk Member
    Picture of Szym
    posted Hide Post
    If they are Breygent, I will have to hunt these down or trade a set to someone who got more than one (Hint, hint...) Wink

Posts: 878 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    I just asked Breygent, and was told that they did NOT do these Deadworld promos

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    258 West will have an exclusive card at the show

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Junior's will be set up! We have cards!

Is 258 West setting up?

posted Hide Post
    258 is on the exhibitor list now. . .

Titanium Card Talk Member
    Picture of wolfie
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kennywood:

Due to a fractured vertebrae, Adam West has cancelled.

Holy fragmentation! If i've told him once i've told him a thousand times not to go climbing up the side of buildings using only the bat rope.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
    posted Hide Post
    Adam West cancelled an appearance at the Edmonton Comic & Entertainment Expo last fall using the same excuse... a fractured vertebrae. Makes you wonder what the caped crusader is up to at his age.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I'll be photoblogging live from C2E2 tomorrow, the posts will be uploaded to webjon.com. Can't wait for the show -- hope to see some card talkers there!

Jon

Titanium Card Talk Member
    Picture of wolfie
    posted Hide Post
    Thank you very much for posting the pictures and report Kevin, i enjoyed it very much. Wavey

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post