Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SDCC 2014
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that, I would love to contact you but your email is not in your profile.

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That was me and I've posted twice that these are available on the board.

I'll put you down for one Wolfie.

NL

quote:
Originally posted by Martian Commander:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
For some reason Topps refuse to attend our shows here in the UK so getting promos or anything else is out of the question over here. If Topps in America want to send me some I will gladly hand them out to collectors at our shows.

I do wish we (as a company) would do more shows on the entertainment side and that is something I have always pushed for. As for the UK, that would be managed by our office over their.

I did give a stack of promos to someone from NSU so perhaps she can help you out! If not, PM me and I'll see what we have left (which isn't much but I haven't been back in the office yet to check).

Posts: 806 | Location: san diego | Registered: December 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Hearts:
The little guy at Topps reminded me of a kid with a beard. They had a Garbage Pail promo card and one of the Mars Attacks puzzle cards. Everything else was for sale. Did buy a couple of cool MA promos. Not the best PR.

Considering i'm in my mid-30's I can't say that's an insult. Rather flattered when I get carded.

As for PR, you're not wrong. But as a one-man operation who planned, coordinated and executed our entire appearance single-handedly on a tight budget-- including working with the show to plan the appearance, shipping product, set-up and tear-down, designing the event ad, designing and managing production of exclusives, marketing our appearance and hiring/managing local staff-- I think it was as good as it was going to get.

My hope is that what success we did have will convince the decision-makers that a bigger and broader presence in the future is worthwhile.

As for everything being "for sale"-- that was a necessity in order to pay down the costs of flying out to California and setting up at SDCC.

Still, I did think it was important to have some promos, and the freebies we had were fun and enjoyed by most fans. I know a lot of folks had a blast with the scavenger hunt, especially the more casual fans. This kind of thing is great for you diehard collectors, but also important to attract those fans that are not familiar with our products, both Topps' own and the licensed material that we showcased on the puzzle set.

Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you're talking about the other guy-- just realized we are both really short with glasses and a beard! ha!

Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
Glad you were there.
Ace Thumb Up

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
MC, I said I was glad you were coming before it started. I told you in person I was glad you were there while you were there. Now, I'm telling you I'm glad you were there one last time, and adding thanks for all the hard work you did personally to make it happen.

East coast folks may be a little spoiled since that's where most card companies are located, so it's easier to for them to attend conventions in their own backyard. Well, this "Westie" is very grateful to you and the skeleton crew you had for making the trip.

See you next year (hopefully!).

Posts: 3326 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
MC, I said I was glad you were coming before it started. I told you in person I was glad you were there while you were there. Now, I'm telling you I'm glad you were there one last time, and adding thanks for all the hard work you did personally to make it happen.

East coast folks may be a little spoiled since that's where most card companies are located, so it's easier to for them to attend conventions in their own backyard. Well, this "Westie" is very grateful to you and the skeleton crew you had for making the trip.

See you next year (hopefully!).

HAHA! No sweat. I had a lot of fun, despite having laryngitis and working 12 hour days. I hope to do it again.

Wish you'd announced yourself, Chess, i'd have liked saying hello (although it sounds like I did!)

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
We're glad you were there too! Nothing wrong with limiting how many promos you hand to 1 person at any given time.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martian Commander:
But we will not change our policy on promo handouts. We have to keep it fair to everyone. That means limiting promos to 2-3 per person, assuming they ask nicely. The only people I recall limiting were those few who came to the booth every hour asking for more-- on all 5 days.

I see nothing wrong with that policy. SDCC is too far for me, but I've been to my share of Cons in NYC and there are too many people who are looking for anything free, whether they know what to do with it or not. So by the time collectors who actually support the products get there some choice freebies, if not all of the free stuff, is gone.

On a somewhat related note, many of those SDCC exclusive and highly limited cards that have been advertised for sale and are offshoots of other sets that have been released, or are close to release, are fantastic. Too fantastic in fact for my liking.

Promos are one thing, selling out the entire run of super Con exclusive cards through one or two sources is another. I don't know what the policy is here, but I hope manufacturers come up with something because these great sketches and autograph cards belong in the product and not scooped up by whoever hits the booth first or already sold off before they even make an appearance. Just MHO.

Posts: 10400 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post

Kung Fu Girl

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ace of Hearts,

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post

Steam Punk Girl

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post

Harley Girl

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post

German Girl

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post

Captain America's Shield

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post

Police Box

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post

Ghost Girl

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post

Bat Girl

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post

Darthmobile

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post

Suicide Girl/Bob's Burger employee

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post

Lego Smaug