Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Wizard World Big Apple Con Report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wizard World Big Apple Con Report
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted
A reasonably nice Saturday morning drive and train to Penn Station and as soon as I got out to the street I ran right into Harris, Sharon and Angie and went across the street to the show at the Penn Plaza Hotel. It was 11 and there was still quite a line to get in, so Harris went ahead with his press pass and I was able to get a wristband and get a place in line so I was in after about 25 minutes of waiting. Seems Tom Felton was drawing a big crowd as the fall show was nowhere near this crowded. We walked around and saw Jane, Monica, John, and Val. Stopped and talked with Dave Fox, Brian Kong, and Sara Richard. There were just about zero cards to be found, but we did get the UD Marvel Kree-Skrull Wars packs that were in the bags being distributed upon entry. We also scored some 501 Legion promo cards at their table. We then went downstairs and saw Jane waiting to get "Simpsonized", and she told us she saw James Marsters and he looked awful. Shortly after that Harris and I saw him and Jane was right, he looked like Buffy had just beaten the **** out if him! I hope he's ok, he really did look awful. That was it for the show for us at that point.

We then set off on our New York adventure, I know very little about New York, Harris has some knowledge, but he had his trusty phone with many apps to help get us to a record store in Brooklyn, were we also had lunch at a fancy bar/restaurant with some fancy prices, $10 for a grilled cheese sandwich! It was, however, a very fancy grilled cheese sandwich. Big Grin

We then returned to Manhattan and hit another record store and Forbidden Planet, Harris got some CD's but we found nothing at Forbidden Planet. Went to check out Washington Square Park, interesting people watching, and then off to meet back up with Sharon and Angie for dinner at Guantanamera, a Cuban restaurant, the food was very good and we all had dessert, although everyone passed on the dessert that Harris claimed had human milk in it. Enough said about that! Eek

We then walked back towards Penn Station, through Times Square, it was a nice night so we took our time in Times Square and even found Midtown Comics, which was a nice store, and they even had non-sports cards! I got 5 packs of Marvel Beginnings and pulled a Roger Stern autograph card.

Arrived at Penn Station and said goodbye and was lucky to catch the train back to New Jersey right away so I was home before 11, it was a long day but even though the show was a bit of a letdown (but not unexpected), I had a great time just hanging out in the city for a day with Harris, Sharon, and Angie. Next up, WW Philly, which is usually a good show. Thumb Up

We missed you, Alan! I don't have any pics, but Harris took a few that he may post later.

Posts: 5790 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
sounds like a good time Smile

I love Midtown comics

good pull on the packs
- its nice that you can pull packs now with UD
knowing that the correlation is good and someone hasn't pulled the rare

would be interested in a Skree-Skull pack if you have an extra
I have a marvel Stussy pack will trade for it ??

Posts: 438 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One day tickets were $25 at the door. It was $20 if you bought them online in advance. But there was a $4.87 processing fee Roll Eyes

I arrived around 1. There was no line to get in but there was a great deal of confusion. So it took me about 10 minutes for me to get inside.

I got the Fanboys comic that I got at Celebration IV in Los Angeles signed by Dan Fogler.

Dan Fogler's table was right next to Tom Felton's.

I shopped around for comics and cards in a very crowded and hot vendor area. As Batman said, there were no card vendors. I was pleased to pick up variants for Fringe (the backstory to the TV show) and Formic Wars (the backstory to Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game).

Then I attended James Marsters's QA. He was quite energetic and very popular with the girls and women in attendance. I'm sorry for the poor picture. But if his demeanor is any indication, he seems to be fine.

Then I sat through MOCCA's Comic Book Club's improv comic book talk to get a good seat for Tom Felton's Q&A. It was pointless as the panel was not very entertaining and the staff cleared the room afterwards.

Tom Felton was very popular. It was a very entertaining Q&A.

According to Morena Baccarin, this convention was her first since V was cancelled. Since she didn't need to keep the hair short anymore, she is growing it out - which is her reason for the hat. The Q&A was cut short by the moderator after someone from the Howard Stern asked questions about her race.

Thanks for reading Smile

Posts: 128 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: April 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Editor-in-Chief
Picture of A_Biegel
posted Hide Post
quote:
We missed you, Alan! I don't have any pics, but Harris took a few that he may post later.

I was there in spirit, Batman!

~Alan

Posts: 189 | Location: Bayonne, NJ USA | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
As Batman posted above, it was a good day out. I love NYC so I'm happy to go to Big Apple Con, even if there isn't all that much for card collectors.

Here's some pictures of the show to go with his report above.

Tom Felton from Harry Potter

Kristanna Loken from Terminator 3

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post

James Marsters

Artist Jimmy Cheung

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post

Artist Sarah Richard

Artist Dave Fox

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
And here are a couple of pictures from Midtown Comics

Midtown Comics has a number of cards for sale

And not only that, but they have $400 Green Lantern sneakers. Only 300 pairs made. You WILL buy them!

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Also, cool post chen12. Too bad we missed you.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for dropping by the table...always a pleasure talking shop with you! I'll post sketches when I have them organized....

By the way, if you ever need recommendations on cool places to check out, Krissy and I have a long list Smile

I MAY go to Philly, as about 20 people asked me if I would...we'll see...

Posts: 55 | Location: NY | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post