Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    MCM Birmingham ComicCon. November 21st & 22nd 2015
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MCM Birmingham ComicCon. November 21st & 22nd 2015
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Liv Tyler prices. £45 auto and £60 photo or £150 for the "liv" a little pass!!!!

Posts: 12157 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Liv Tyler prices. £45 auto and £60 photo or £150 for the "liv" a little pass!!!!

Liv'n Large! Eek

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
well that will pack the punters in.........NOT!

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What has she really done in recent memory besides the Lord of the Rings films, and the 2008 Hulk film ?

Posts: 4006 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I will be interested to hear how this goes from anyone going on the Sunday. The sensible part of me says this is crazy money but equally it would not surprise me if there are a lot of takers, especially amongst younger attendees not used to the good old days of proper conventions where there was a chance to chat to the guests and they would happily sign for free when you bought one of their photos.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
They don't call em Cons for nothing. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Thanks to the cyber attack on TalkTalk, I'm having problems accessing my email. If anyone has emailed me I will get back to you as soon as I can access my email.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alric
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:

Also noticed that the website now has a bar graph for how many tickets have been sold and 98% of the Saturday early entry tickets are gone Eek .

Not sure why this would be, I don't see any must see guests or attractions (other than the famous double act of Wolfie and Harris Big Grin ) . Maybe they have heeded past complaints about overcrowding and cut the number of tickets available.

I am sure it is the cosplayers - This show (and memorabilia as a whole) is going more this way.

Sold out for early entry on Saturday now. Hope they make some kind of announcement regarding this as there are usually a lot of walk ups on the day that are not going to be happy otherwise.

Wonder how the increase in cosplayers is affecting business for stallholders. Can't think it's good news for card and memorabilia dealers.

If you want to see how the change in the show effects the traders then you only need to look at the London show and try to find the non Manga dealers there !

Posts: 176 | Location: Kent, England | Registered: August 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I will be bringing a lot of mylar card holders, mainly single card size but a few larger, to the show as in previous years.

If anyone would like some let me know via the e-mail in my profile and we can arrange to meet up. This offer also goes out to any of the stall holders and artists who I know often run short.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I'll be there on Sunday - I've just pre-booked my General Admission ticket - and will be bringing along some of the Starbucks Doctor Who eComic cards if anyone wants one. There 'maybe' an hint of cosplay about me this year (though it's not the main reason for me being there - that is, of course, Wolfie!), depending on how I feel Sunday morning...
Au Res.,
PAul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to seeing you along with everyone else, please save me a Dr Who card. Wavey

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Tickets for saturday are as good as sold out so i hope they got their figures right or another nightmare is on the cards.

Sunday as usual is expected to be a more relaxing day.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, hopefully they have not done what the airlines do and oversold in the expectation 10% don't turn up Roll Eyes .

It's in Hall 5 which is the biggest one so hopefully they will take advantage of the extra space and widen the aisles.

At least there should be no confusion over which queue to get into ( last time they were letting in pre-paid first and then those that paid on the day ) as there should only be one.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just got back from a very busy NEC. Much better than the March show for trading card collectors although the dealers still seem to be having trouble getting enough spending customers.

I would say the organisers got it right in terms of how many tickets they sold, it was busy but I had no trouble moving around or getting to any tables.

Started off by going to the NSU table and renewing my subscription, getting the variant issue, and the Star Wars Rebels stickers Thumb Up .

Saw Graham and Hammer at the table and commiserated with Harris on how cold it was.

Next got some signed photos of Jemima Rooper for me and a couple of friends. She was really friendly and happy to chat about the various shows she has been in.

Then I visited Cult Stuff and Dean Rogers who were next to each other. Got some promos from the ever generous Jason who also gave me the sketch redemption I had been waiting for. Also got two of his mystery packs which I will be opening later tonight.

Fell's Belle's P2, Sherlock Holmes and Victorian Martians P1,Hound of the Baskervilles P1, The Illustrated War of the Worlds P1, and Sherlock Holmes The Long Stories NTSC1.

I got both versions (matt and glossy )of the last card from Dean Rogers and I bought a case of The Long Stories off him for a very good price.

Handed a bag of goodies to Wolfie while we were taking a break by Dean's table and he gave me the Dustra Inceptions promo.

Visited the artist alley to pick up some of Huy Truong's excellent sketchbooks which he kindly inscribed to the members of my pub quiz team and also picked up a beautiful Artist Return from Carolyn Edwards who gave me the GOT framed print for free Smile .

My last stop was at Paul James( Umbrella Trading Cards ) table where I spent the last of my cash on a Penny Dreadful mini master and two prop cards for less than the price of a box Big Grin .

I then made my way home through the artic conditions with a lighter wallet but much better feelings about this show than the last one.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the show reports & pls keep them coming!

Its fun to hear whats goin on then see some exotic promos like that Fells Belles P2... Very nice.

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BILLZEE:
Thanks for the show reports & pls keep them coming!

Its fun to hear whats goin on then see some exotic promos like that Fells Belles P2... Very nice.

I am sure Jason from Cult Stuff will like your exotic description Smile . He said that he is hopeful of getting the Fell's Belle's set done for next November's show. The problem is that much like the Dixon's Vixen's sets the artist is very much in demand. Aly Fell is currently working on a comic book project but the card set should be the next thing he will do.

Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I went up on Saturday evening, though I only went to the show on Sunday - on Saturday evening I met up with Harris, Batman, Hammer and Mrs Hammer for a most enjoyable Indian curry and drinks.
I just did general admission (11am) on Sunday, though it was nearer to 11:30 by the time I got there and there was still a sizable crowd of people waiting to get in. First stop: NSU to dump my gear, renew the sub and pick up my variant issue.
The show seemed busy - there were certainly a lot of people around, though many of them were queueing for Liv Tyler (I didn't bother - the price was a little too rich for me) instead, I went to see Simon Fisher-Becker (Dorium - the Blue bloke from some of Matt Smith's Doctor Who stories) and got him to sign a copy of his book for me - he also posed with me for a picture.

I picked up a couple of Cult Stuff Mystery packs from Jason and Liza and got a B Jones Sherlock Holmes sketch
and a Hattie Hayridge (Red Dwarf) autograph,
also a "Sherlock Holmes The Long Stories" Proof card. B Jones and Mike Hannan were set up next to Cult Stuff, and I bought a couple of really nice Doctor Who sketches from Mike.

Visited Carolyn Edwards, who was having a very good show, bumped into Matt Dixon and Anthony Lee (who was also doing very well!) and found myserlf watching over Paul Hart's table whilst he went for a comfort break! I got a nice mini-poster for Firefly Online from Paul (thanks Paul!)

A couple of stints helping Harris out at his table whilst he went for lunch and other stuff, and the show was over.
There was a fair bit of cosplay, and the show seems to be edging towards the cosplay/manga/anime area and away from the more traditional collector. It was enjoyable, but I'm not sure how relevant it will be to me in the future if this is the direction they are taking.
Au Res.,
Quaint1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quaint1,

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that I also got, for a very reasonable price from Cult-Stuff, the Daphne Ashbrook and Yee Jee Tso autograph cards from the Strictly Ink Doctor Who 40th Anniversary set - which was nice. All I need now are Paul McGann, Eric Roberts and Sylvester McCoy and I have the main cast from Doctor Who The Movie (which I enjoyed when it came out and re-enjoyed when I managed to find the DVD in a local charity shop for a quid recently!)
Au Res.,
Quaint1

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quaint1:
Doctor Who The Movie (which I enjoyed when it came out and re-enjoyed when I managed to find the DVD in a local charity shop for a quid recently!)
Au Res.,
Quaint1
You should have 'saved that up' to watch tonight in celebration of the Doctor's 52nd birthday. Is it really that long since it all began way back on November 23rd 1963 ? Eek

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just an update. I opened the two Cult Stuff mystery packs and definitely beat the odds as according to Jason about 60% had an autograph and 40% had a sketch. The magno card was 1 :3 packs I think Big Grin .

Both sketch cards by B Jones.