Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Memorabilia November 2011
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Memorabilia November 2011
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I'd just like to say that Harris and i would be happy to do a dual autograph on anything you like for £45. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by markdennett:
£45 is way to much.David Tennant was a no-one before Dr Who.hes got a bloody nerve charging that amount??.makes me so mad that they think they can rip people off like this??.i hope the newspapers get on to this??they will love it?

What on earth are you talking about? How is it a rip off?

If Showmasters don't charge what they need to cover the cost of getting him to the show then nobody would have the chance to meet Tennant, and how would that be good for anyone?

Yes, maybe he was unknown before Dr. Who, but New Who is massive and he was the star of the show for quite a while. I mean how much do you think it would cost for a David Tennant autograph on an official Dr. Who trading card? I'd bet WAY more than £45! Would that be a rip off?

I noticed in another thread you are after the 6-Million Dollar Man Shatner incentive auto. Are you expecting to pay £35 for that card because thats what he charges for a signature at shows? If you're prepared to pay more than that (and you'd have to to get it) then wouldn't that be more of a rip off? If you get to actually meet a rare signer, can select a photo of your preference and maybe get a personalisation as well, then I'd say that's probably worth less than 50 quid if you're a real fan of the man even if its not as cheap as people would prefer.

I like to take my kids to shows.gonna give this one a miss.they will all want to meet Dr Who but i just refuse to pay £45 x 4 for the pleasure.no offence!!

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Wright:
Oh, and Harris will be there!!

And just wait until you see what he charges. Now that I see David Tennant gets £45.....hmmmm....maybe I'll ask 45p...sound about right? Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I'd just like to say that Harris and i would be happy to do a dual autograph on anything you like for £45. Thumb Up

Sounds good. Thumb Up

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
They've also announced Paul McGann for Sunday at the London Collectormania show, Showmasters do seem to pull some big names, a real shame they can't pull them in for Memorabilia.

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
While most people will be seeing David Tennant for his former role as the Doctor, it should not be forgotten that he is currently appearing in the new version of Fright Night on the big screen. So some of his accompanying promotion, and probably cost, will relate to that.

As for others who charge a fortune for an autograph. How about Mark Hamill ? I seem to remember him demanding £70+ each not too long ago.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
£45 is expensive, can't think of anybody recently that has been that much hence my Eek, I wouldn't go as far as a rip-off as you don't have to buy if you don't want to.

It might be a little unfair on those that want it but can't afford it - but that's life.

From what I have heard David Tennant was very good at signing fan items sent to him (for nothing), so is he just charging what he feels is what he is worth for a professional engagement?

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Neither Mark Hamill or David Tennant charge for their autos at the shows. They are paid a fee for appearing and it's the show organisers that set the cost.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Neither Mark Hamill or David Tennant charge for their autos at the shows. They are paid a fee for appearing and it's the show organisers that set the cost.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with the organisers trying to make their money back. A guest can only get through so many signatures in a day so cost per signature = booking fee divided by number of autographs he can sign (approx.) in however many hours they've got to do it.

If it costs £45 per signature for them to try and make their money back (and sometimes the organisers lose money BTW) then that's what it costs. I think its far better for Who fans to have the opportunity to see their idol (when they might otherwise not have the chance) than to not book a great guest like this just because they can't bring the auto price in at £20 of whatever.

Seriously, if people can pay STUPID money (and I'll unclude myself in that one) on autograph cards how can £45 be a rip-off for the star of the show when you have complete carte blanche as to what you get signed and you actually get to meet them as well? I'm not saying £45 is peanuts, because it really isn't, but seriously, a bit of perspective as to what you actually get for your money wouldn't go amiss.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markdennett:
I like to take my kids to shows.gonna give this one a miss.they will all want to meet Dr Who but i just refuse to pay £45 x 4 for the pleasure.no offence!!

If you're the fan - couldn't you just get an autograph and take your kids to the table when you get it? Guests seem to be very interactive with the kids so I can see that working and would be my best suggestion. As long as you all have 'virtual tickets' that's entirely do-able.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
The Tennant photoshoot is sold out @ £35 and I imagine, time permitting, most of those people will try to get the photo autographed. Even at £45.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alric
posted Hide Post
With the timeing of the return of the photos from the photoshoot and the popularity of David for signings I doubt many will get the chance to get them signed before the end of the show.

Posts: 176 | Location: Kent, England | Registered: August 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Sophie Aldred (Ace) and Sarah Sutton (Nyssa) have been added as Sunday only guests.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
A few new guests listed as well as:

Hi-De-Hi 31st Anniversary Reunion
MEET: Jeffrey Holland~Spike, Nikki Kelly~Sylvia Garnsey, Barry Howard~Barry **Attending Sunday ONLY!, Paul Shane~Ted Bovis, David Webb~Stanley Matthews, Tony Webb~Bruce Matthews, Judy Buxton with more T.B.C

VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED Reunion
Barbara Shelley (Anthea Zellaby), Teri & Lesley Scoble (The Children)

CAPTAIN KRONOS VAMPIRE HUNTER REUNION
Horst Janson (Captain Kronos), Caroline Munro (Carla), Lois Daine (Sara Durwood), Wanda Ventham (Lady Durwood), Brain Clemens (Director & Screenplay

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The Kronos Reunion is fantastic. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ill be tagged on the end of treksearchers table as normal

Posts: 312 | Location: united kingdom | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
..........and don't think i won't come and find you. Eek

posted Hide Post
ill hide behind treksearcher ?

Posts: 312 | Location: united kingdom | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of DaveSB
posted Hide Post
Harris: Is there going to be an Card Talk meet at this show as normal?

Posts: 2606 | Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia | Registered: January 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of DaveSB
posted Hide Post
Has Harris gone MIA?

Posts: 2606 | Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia | Registered: January 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveSB:
Has Harris gone MIA?

I missed this. I wasn't planning on a Card Talk session this time. It's gotten harder and harder to plan this at the NEC and we didn't have one last year. So unless there is a public outcry, the answer is probably no. Frown

But....Don't let this stop you from coming out to the show. I'll have some goodies to give away as will some others, from what I understand. And I'll have specials going on at the table, like a reduced subscription rate. Looking forward to the show.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post