Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2021 Philly Shows
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
Just got the email tonight...

May 2021 is outright cancelled.

October 2021 is in search of a new venue. Apparently the Merchant Square Mall is not hosting any 2021 events. Which is OK by be as the ventilation in that room is poor in the best of times.

Seems they are hoping to stay in Allentown if they can find a suitable location.

Hopefully they'll do something virtual in May again, we'll have to wait and see how that goes.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Was afraid of that.
Not familiar enough with the area to suggest another venue but I am hoping it moves a little closer to Philadelphia.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Maybe a move down south with help. Birmingham, AL is nice in May. Sections of the city is industrial like Allentown. Harris could find some new hiking trails! Come on! It's a win win!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm kinda hoping the new venue they find for Oct is so nice that they move the show there permanently. Every time I come home from the show, I am sick for 3 days. The air in there is just so bad.

Also, on a positive note, if there is a new venue maybe Rittenhouse will start setting up again. The venue was their reasoning for not coming, so if the venue changes, maybe they will start coming again.

Posts: 67 | Location: NC | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cubby5454:
Also, on a positive note, if there is a new venue maybe Rittenhouse will start setting up again. The venue was their reasoning for not coming, so if the venue changes, maybe they will start coming again.

That would be fantastic!

Ideal would be a space within the host hotel. I get that Allentown has become the unofficial home of the show, but moving it closer to a more metropolitan area like Philly could only be a good thing.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
They can hold it outside under tents in June. Solved it.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I hope it works out the Philly Show is such a great tradition
it would be devastating to see it go away. I have full trust in Roxanne, Marlin and Harris to figure it out.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
I hope it works out the Philly Show is such a great tradition
it would be devastating to see it go away. I have full trust in Roxanne, Marlin and Harris to figure it out.

Totally agree

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
Sad to see the May 2021 show cancelled but its the right thing to do. Hopefully things get better over the next few months, and there can be a Fall 2021 show

I trust Roxanne, Marlin, and Harris will be able to find a suitable location going forward

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
I am not surprised to see the May show cancelled. I am not expecting to receive a vaccination before the summer months.

I hope the new location isn't too far from an airport if it is moved from Allentown.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
The convention center in Oaks, PA is a much better choice. I’m a Philly native and that’s the best spot outside of the city itself.

https://www.phillyexpocenter.com/

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Hope that it is close to Pa International airport.

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
It’s a about a 35 or 40 minute ride, but I have to ask, how far away are you coming from, because I can’t imagine it’ll be worth a far trip.

The show is small and the dealers have dwindled from the quality it was years ago.

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haljordanfan:
It’s a about a 35 or 40 minute ride, but I have to ask, how far away are you coming from, because I can’t imagine it’ll be worth a far trip.

The show is small and the dealers have dwindled from the quality it was years ago.

Isn’t it like the epicenter of the non-sport card experience? Confused
I always think about going, but don’t want to use the majority of my funds on a flight and lodging. Roll Eyes
But now with all this current Non-Sport trading card hype, wouldn’t it be good time to dust of those old 1990 Marvel Universe boxes and other singles to sell at a show dedicated to non-sport cards? Smile

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
For me it is an 1 hour 45 minute drive to Allentown. I spend more on tolls and gas than I do at the show but I still enjoy going to see on-line friends and what is out there.

I do feel that a change in venue would be a good thing to refresh the show. As mentioned above it would probably draw Rittenhouse back.

Also I would gladly pay a couple extra dollars entrance fee or a little more table fee for a nicer location.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
quote:
Originally posted by Haljordanfan:

Isn’t it like the epicenter of the non-sport card experience? Isn’t it like the epicenter of the non-sport card experience? Confused
I always think about going, but don’t want to use the majority of my funds on a flight and lodging. Roll Eyes
But now with all this current Non-Sport trading card hype, wouldn’t it be good time to dust of those old 1990 Marvel Universe boxes and other singles to sell at a show dedicated to non-sport cards? Smile

That’s what we call EBay my friend......

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I disagree with your opinion of the show, plenty of dealers and collectors at the show, lots of other show related activities, like Red Robin, Card Talk gathering, card auctions, promos, etc, plenty of new and vintage cards, and the best part of the show is networking with old and new friends. I guess eBay is fine if you don’t like to have any type of experience or interaction with shows.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
I disagree with your opinion of the show, plenty of dealers and collectors at the show, lots of other show related activities, like Red Robin, Card Talk gathering, card auctions, promos, etc, plenty of new and vintage cards, and the best part of the show is networking with old and new friends. I guess eBay is fine if you don’t like to have any type of experience or interaction with shows.

Totally agree, Great variety of dealers. Certainly worth the journey and a great chance to meet other collectors too

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
I agree with Batman. The show is much more than just nameless people walking around nameless dealers. I've met lots of people and learned a lot about the Non Sports Cards Hobby over the years. While the show could probably use a new venue to help update things a bit, its still one of the major Non-Sport Shows and deserves credit for its place in the non-sport hobby. If you don't enjoy it, that's your opinion, but instead of putting it down in this forum, maybe list some issues, and come up with some suggestions to make it better.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
To the last 3 comments, I didn’t say that I hated the show. Unless I missed me saying that. Please point that out for me if I did.

The show needs to be updated from the lackluster facility it’s in. The bathrooms are disgusting, the food is horrible and there’s nothing around the area. Charge more $ per person for entry and rent a hotel in the far NE of Philly, Bucks or Montgomery counties.

Like ifish73, I’ll kick in a few extra for a place that is cleaner.