Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Memorabilia - Birmingham November 19-20
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Memorabilia - Birmingham November 19-20
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Harris, is that promo part of the variant issue that you alluded to above ?

I understand that this is exclusive to the show and not part of the variant issue

Yes, just as Hammer says, this is an exclusive card that will be given away free to collectors who visit the Non-Sport Update table at MCM Birmingham Comic Con. It is not part of and separate from the variant issue we are working on.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Nice to have a Memorabilia promo - thanks to Iron Dead Studios Thumb Up

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my train tickets today ,looking forward to seeing what is there .

Posts: 50 | Location: U.K | Registered: August 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brown123:
Got my train tickets today ,looking forward to seeing what is there .

Make sure you find the NSU table and come and say "Hello"

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will do around 11 15

Posts: 50 | Location: U.K | Registered: August 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

Just to clarify on a couple of points.. MCM only bring in a few guests which are usually at the top of their web page, all other guests are brought in from outside agencies such as Fantom Films or Disappearing Planet, etc so although the quality can vary at least there is a wide selection and hopefully something for everybody.

With regard to dealers, specifically Jason from Cult Stuff and Dean Rogers of TopCards, last time there was another event at the same time so Jason went to the other one but Liza was at Mem. I know Dean and I doubt he will be there as I don't think he's done anything about booking a table. Will let you know if he has though...

I do cards for Cult Stuff and Unstoppable Cards and I'm going too so maybe I'll see you there... Wink

Posts: 3 | Location: UK | Registered: November 01, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Here are the details on this year's variant issue.

With the release of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story around the corner, it seems appropriate this year's cover should be Star Wars focused. In fact, both our standard Dec/Jan issue and the variant cover will feature imagery from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. The standard issue features the "light side" on the cover with the movie's heroes while the variant issue features the "dark side" (villains).

Our standard issue will contain promo cards for Star Trek 50th Anniversary from Rittenhouse Archives and Monty Wolverton II: Woverton's Woman from RRPArks CARDS (four different are randomly inserted one per copy). The limited-edition variant issue contains both of these along with an exclusive sequentially-numbered Rogue One Mission Briefing promo card found exclusively in the variant issue. The magazine's features and departments are the same in both issues. This is a change from past variant issue where you only got the exclusive -- this year, you get the exclusive AND the regular promos. The issue will be on sale at MCM Birmingham Comic Con for £11.

Below are images of the two covers. I hope to see some Card Talk members at the show.

ABOVE: Standard Dec '16/Jan '17 Non-Sport Update cover

ABOVE: Variant Dec '16/Jan '17 Non-Sport Update cover

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Thumb Up

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Here's some further info on Non-Sport Update at the MCM Birmingham Comic Con.

Non-Sport Update MCM Birmingham Comic Con Show Email

As the link notes, we'll be set up at stall J9.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Let's hope we aren't snowed in!

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Does anybody know which dealers will be there? It would be useful if UK dealers told us they were coming and contact details for anything we might want to order. UK dealers seem to operate a secret service!

One week to go and not one dealer has confirmed they will be there. This is not a good way to attract collectors, we can only assume they will not be there.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Blue Horseshoe
posted Hide Post
Derek's Trading Cards will be there as usual.

Dave.

Posts: 280 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I had a reply from Dean Rogers at Top Cards. They said " the cost of renting a pitch there is just too much now so just would not be viable " .

This is the problem when the majority of the attendees are cosplayers who do not seem to buy anything, just walk around showing off their costumes.

It's not just trading card dealers either, I have noticed a drop off in autograph and comic book dealers as well.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
The last Memorabilia I went to was in 2014 to meet Honor Blackman and Shirley Eaton (who were both lovely).
I had the unexpected pleasure of meeting wolfie for the first time, Harris and treksearcher who is sadly no longer with us.

Besides the above I really wasn't that enamoured with the show at all and had changed light years since I last attended 5 years before. Maybe people prefer the slicker more 'professional' atmosphere (compared to the old carboot style approach) but I really didn't.

Now it's just tonnes of advertising, less stalls of all varieties, the signers just shoe-horned in without barriers from cattle like human congestion (I thought that was actually really unpleasant for signers in their late 80's being gawked at by punters), and as has been mentioned, all the costumed people walking around - generally just getting in the way. I get enough of the latter at the various Comic-Con's Showmasters run and I can't say it thrills me at those events. There were parts of the hall were you literally couldn't move. The organisers must be rubbing their hands over ticket sales but I really didn't enjoy myself, it was a chore to just try and look around and I couldn't be bothered in the end.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I think i am correct in saying Umbrella Trading Cards will be there so look out for Paul & Dawn. Smile

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Harris

Attending this show for the first time in years, can I ask you if its possible to put a couple of the variant copies aside for myself and a friend who is also attending, we will be there on Saturday at around 11:30 (got a fair old drive to get there)

Thanks
David

Posts: 357 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by david963:
Hi Harris

Attending this show for the first time in years, can I ask you if its possible to put a couple of the variant copies aside for myself and a friend who is also attending, we will be there on Saturday at around 11:30 (got a fair old drive to get there)

Thanks
David

Sure, I can do that. I've made a note of it.

See you at the show.

posted Hide Post
I used to go regularly. I live about 5 mins from the nec in a little village next to solihull.

The last two times I havnt enjoyed it. It's so ram packed that you can barley move, worse still, they halfed the space one year which made it like a tin of sardines. It's also packed wth kids dressed up, which I guess is fine, but it's changed from what it used to be, which is adult collectors, and plenty of card stalls.

It's also expensive for what it is. £10 to park if I remember correctly, doubled from a few years back, expensive to get in after your 30 min to 1 hour queuing, maybe even £10 again. I made a decision I wasn't going anymore two years back.

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish:

It's also expensive for what it is. £10 to park if I remember correctly, doubled from a few years back, expensive to get in after your 30 min to 1 hour queuing, maybe even £10 again. I made a decision I wasn't going anymore two years back.

Things have changed since you were last there, it is more like £16 - £20 to get in for the whole day and at least £12 to park the car.

Picture of paul hart
posted Hide Post
I will be there and so will Derek so no excuse
To not be bothered! Smile
Infact as im next to Harris unless you have incredibly bad eyesight-you will see me Wave

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post