November 13, 2016, 10:47 AM
brown123
Memorabilia - Birmingham November 19-20
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
quote:
Originally posted by david963:
Hi Harris

Attending this show for the first time in years, can I ask you if its possible to put a couple of the variant copies aside for myself and a friend who is also attending, we will be there on Saturday at around 11:30 (got a fair old drive to get there)

Thanks
David

Sure, I can do that. I've made a note of it.

See you at the show.

Hope there will be some still left when I get there .
November 14, 2016, 02:09 AM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by paul hart:
I will be there and so will Derek so no excuse
To not be bothered! Smile
Infact as im next to Harris unless you have incredibly bad eyesight-you will see me Wave

Thanks for letting us know Smile
November 18, 2016, 11:05 AM
Goldfish
Need some advice!?

It's says advance Saturday tickets sold yet and just a Ltd number of tickets available on the day.

If you turn up later in the day for the last couple of hours, surely you will be able to get in? Thoughts?
November 18, 2016, 11:23 AM
Triple-Frog
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish:
Need some advice!?

It's says advance Saturday tickets sold yet and just a Ltd number of tickets available on the day.

If you turn up later in the day for the last couple of hours, surely you will be able to get in? Thoughts?

It's hard to know for sure. I can tell you that the vast majority stay the whole day, coming out every so often to get refreshments or just have a rest. Because you can get your handstamp allowing re-entry when leaving the hall it is unlikely they will sell any more tickets on the door once they have reached capacity even if later in the day the hall is half empty. They won't know if people who have left the hall will be coming back or not.
November 18, 2016, 01:01 PM
steve j
I'll be away by 12 noon.
November 18, 2016, 01:06 PM
Goldfish
I'll probably give it a miss. They have got quite greedy with jam packing it out to the point f you can hardly breath, let alone browse, so maybe it's for the best.
November 19, 2016, 10:43 AM
Triple-Frog
Back from the show. I was in by 09.10 and gone by 11.00. It was nice to see some familiar faces but sad that I could only find four trading card sellers and the same number selling autographs. Only a few years ago those numbers were in double digits.

This show really has gone downhill in the last few years and is now more of a fashion show than anything else. I will probably not bother with the next one in March, the first I will have missed in over ten years. The trouble is attendance is up so the show runners are happy, it's the numbers of people spending money that are down which is why for the first time I can remember there were empty tables.

Had a nice chat with Harris at the NSU table, got my subscription renewed and bought three of the variant magazine for me, John Levitt, and Wolfie as well as a couple of the Philly show promo packs. Harris also gave me some show exclusive Iron Dead Legends promos to distribute.

Saw Derek and bought a couple of base sets and a box of 9 pocket pages. Also spoke to Paul at Umbrella cards and got some bargain UFO auto cards from him. One thing I learned from both was how much Brexit and the fall in value of the pound is hurting the business.

First time I have bought a box of the pocket pages in the UK, it was always cheaper to get them when I was in the USA but not anymore Frown .

Finally had a chat with Carolyn Edwards and picked up the Spellcasters II AP she did for me Eek .

Have a great time in Dublin Harris Big Grin !

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Triple-Frog,
November 19, 2016, 12:47 PM
brown123
Back from the nec ,got my variant copy of the NSU mag, nice star wars promo ,nec was pack and could not believe how long it took to get in .

Harris/Hammer did I leave my list book on the table when I bought those couple of promo cards ,it is brown about half the size of A4 sheet of Paper ? .

Neil
November 19, 2016, 04:05 PM
H_Toser
Hi Neil:

Great to see you today. I did not see this when we closed up the stall today but I will be on the lookout for it tomorrow. If I do spot it, I'll give you a shout. One way or another, I hope it turns up.

Harris

November 19, 2016, 04:30 PM
brown123
Thank you Harris .
November 20, 2016, 04:22 AM
david963
First one I have been to in quite a while, One reason for going was to get Jamie Bamber to sign a picture for me to complete the trio with Katee SackHoff and James Callis, nice guy and had quite a chat with him.

Picked up some bits from the card dealers that were in attendance but not much, got my magazine from Harris as well

All in all I would only give the show a C- maybe even dropping to a D, far too crowded for my tastes and just not enough card dealers to make it worth my time going again unless there is someone I specifically need to see,
November 20, 2016, 01:48 PM
H_Toser
Neil:

We found it! Please email me your mailing address and we can send to you. I left it with a U.K. resident to make it easier.

Harris

November 20, 2016, 03:05 PM
brown123
Cheers Harris ,I will get a e-mail sent shortly.

Neil
November 21, 2016, 09:57 AM
hammer
Had a good weekend assisting Harris at the NSU table, the walk ways seemed a bit wider this year. Got a couple of autographs and a disappointing box of Gotham.
November 22, 2016, 06:28 AM
Quaint1
After initially thinking I wouldn't bother this year, I was able to go - met up with the usual (if somewhat numerically depleted) gang and picked up a few bargains, including a couple of LOTR autograph cards (Bernard Hill and John Noble) for £10 each, and some of Carolyn Edwards seasonal greetings cards (and a signed Doctor Who variant cover), otherwise, there really wasn't that much for a card collector any more.
Au Res.,
Paul

p.s. Neil, your notebook is on it's way...

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast
November 22, 2016, 01:30 PM
steve j
Arrived at Memorabelia only to be herded like sheep single file into the arena.

Had a walk around the arena, and couldn't believe the lack of card sellers. Only Derek and Paul Umbrella had stands (no pun intended). I met with Harris and Hammer to renew my subscription and purchase a few variants, then moved on.

I found the whole experience very disappointing. I love hunting through files to find something I really want. Picked up a few Masterworks boxes that were previously ordered and three boxes of who. I found a few sketches I liked and a few leather limited firefly cards. That was it.

I left at 11:15hrs. I think this is possibly my last visit to memorabilia which is very sad, I don't know whether its due to the Pound / dollar exchange rate or just pure lethargy.

I didn't run into anyone, not even Wolfie, and that's never happened before!!
November 23, 2016, 01:22 AM
catskilleagle
And I thought some shows were expensive here. There used to be a great collectibles show in San Mateo, California (stopped running in the early 2000's). It had several card dealers and was about $8 to get in plus $8 to park by the end of its run. I used to park on a side street and take a healthy walk.

Next month, there's a show in San Jose, CA that used to cost $4 to get in plus $8 to park but I just saw that admission just jumped to $10. One of the two card dealers moved out of state so I was less interested in the show - still went once this year but it's not worth it when there's less to look at for a card collector.

Every show wants to be the San Diego Comic Con and work their way up to what SDCC charges but they aren't adding any value for collectors. With all the expenses of going to SDCC, you can at least offset that somewhat with all the freebies at the show whether you collect cards or posters or whatever. The San Jose show has no freebies and neither do any of the others around here, one of which charges $25 per person.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish:

It's also expensive for what it is. £10 to park if I remember correctly, doubled from a few years back, expensive to get in after your 30 min to 1 hour queuing, maybe even £10 again. I made a decision I wasn't going anymore two years back.

Things have changed since you were last there, it is more like £16 - £20 to get in for the whole day and at least £12 to park the car.