Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    The Great Allentown Comic Con! - 2011 MEGA SHOW! Nov. 19-20th
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Great Allentown Comic Con! - 2011 MEGA SHOW! Nov. 19-20th
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted
The Great Allentown Comic Con!- The Only Pop-Culture, Scifi, and Comic Convention in the Lehigh Valley - Inaugural 2 Day Mega Show Event!

Saturday November 19th 2011 10am-6pm
Sunday November 20th 2011 10am-5pm
Merchants Square Mall - 1901 S. 12th St Allentown, PA 18103
Admission: $8/1Day or $12/Both; Kids 12 and under FREE!

Over 10,000 SqFt of Dealers - Golden age-Current, Collectible Toys, Cards, Pulp, and Vintage Memorabilia!
Special Prizes, Door Prizes and Artists/Media Guest Panels all weekend, Special original art fundraising auction Sunday!

Fundraiser Auction Details - We will be supporting the Toteman Epilepsy Awareness PSA comic book, and attempting to raise enough funds to print over 10,000 comics to be give for free to schools and medical facilities to further the education and awareness of Epilepsy. visit http://www.totemansworld.com/ for more information!

The 501st Legion- Garrison Carida® will be accepting toy donations all day Saturday at the show, as well as available for photos with fans and enthusiasts of all ages. In addition, we will be holding a special Garrison Carida® led panel on costuming and fan based cosplay.

Guests Include:

MEDIA GUESTS:

Disney Studios Animator – Terry Naughton!

Underbelly Video!

From Star Wars:

Chewbacca - Peter Mayhew!

Clone Wars Yoda - Tom Kane!

From Star Trek:

The Doctor(EMH) - Robert Picardo!

AUTHOR/CREATORS:

Peter David!

Michael Jan Friedman!

Steven H. Wilson!

Phil Giunta!

ARTIST GUESTS:

Chris Moreno!

Tommy Castillo!

Khoi Pham!

Tom Smith!

Neil Vokes!

JK Woodward!

ZEES Moreno!

Lauren Perry!

Chris Grillo!

Tom Schloendorn!

K. Michael Crawford!

Primo Cardinalli!

Bob Hall!

Dane Cypel!

Raphael Moran!

Charles Dowd!

Adam Shub!

Dawn Griffin!

Tim Collins!

And Many More!

PUBLISHERS:

Hound Comics!

Ultimate Comics Group!

Captain Action!

Underground Comixxx!

Come Get UR Geek On! At The Great Allentown Comic Con!
The Great Allentown Comic Con!

Posts: 6 | Location: PA | Registered: March 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
will Robert Picardo be signing autographs and do you know how much they'll be? Big Grin

Posts: 378 | Location: New Milford, CT | Registered: February 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'll be at this show too. Smile

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder that the show is this weekend. There's a schedule of panels on the show website, I'll try and post a quick report sometime on Saturday or Sunday.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mccheese8472:
will Robert Picardo be signing autographs and do you know how much they'll be? Big Grin

He is charging $25 if you buy a photo from him. If you bring your own item to sign is $20 for his signature

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'll post another report (with pictures sometime on Monday). For now, here are a few thoughts on day 1.
There were a LOT of people. I heard rumors that there were over 500 people, which is pretty good for a show of this size. LOTS of artists and comic book dealers. There were a couple of vendors with some toys and DVD's and I believe there was also one dealer with game cards. Mr. NonSport was the only dealer I saw (during my brief walk around) with non-sport cards. He had a couple tables with some base sets, Wacky Pack signles and insets, wax packs, and autograph, costume and sketch cards. The 501st Legion was also on hand and I picked up 4 or 5 different cards from their Garrison Carida members (I was able to get a couple spares for trading). I had an assortment of promos on my table (my own and some P1s for recent Rittenhouse releases). I think that's pretty much it for the card portion of the report.
Most of the actors were charging $20 for their signature. In addition to artists and actors there were also a number of authors including Peter David and Michael Jan Friedman, both of whom were promoting their new releases from Crazy 8 Press. Roxanne Toser came by and we chatted for while about the layout (it is basically the same layout the NSU show uses but somehow they crammed in a LOT more tables for this show.
There are also talks going on during the weekend (click on the Show Information tab of AllentownComicCon for a schedule). Talks for Sunday include former Disney animator Terry Naughton, actor Robert Picardo, How to Draw Smurfs (kid oriented) and a charity art auction at 4pm.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Day 2 of the show and it was almost like going to a different show. Many of the artists and dealers were only there for 1 day (including 501st Legion) so there was plenty of new stuff to check out. There were also different panels and a charity auction so anyone who was at the show for both days actually had a lot to keep them occupied. I managed to sneak away from the table long enough to speak with artist Terry Naughton, who worked as an Animator for Disney on films like Beauty & the Beast. Terry is actually an illustrator and was showing much of his non-Disney work (but he was drawing Disney characters for folks too). I also spoke with artist JK Woodward and picked up a quick sketch from him (see photo below). He's a Star Trek an Doctor Who fan as well and has done some great Doctor Who/Star Trek illustrations in the hopes of convincing IDW they should do a comic book. JK also provided the cover art for the Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes comic book. Below are photos of the cards that were given out at the show as well as some photos. There will be more photos on the NSU blog later this week when Harris has a chance to get home and recover from his trip to the UK. Smile

Cards being given out at the show (I was giving out P1s for assorted Rittenhouse set but didn't take a photo of them)

Voice Actor Tom Kane doing an interview

Peter Mayhew

Super Sox. Cool pop culture themed stockings.

Artists Neil Vokes and Bob Hall

Writer Phil Giunta preparing for the show on Sunday morning. I provided the artwork for the cover of his second book (tentatively due out summer 2012)

Artist RAK setting up his display.

Front and back of JK Woodward postcard. JK was doing quick sketches on the back of his postcard for $1.

Another postcard being given out at the show