Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Get Paul Bines to the Philly Show! Updated 10/2
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Get Paul Bines to the Philly Show! Updated 10/2
 Login/Join

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Come on people! We don't want to disappoint America? We need Paul in Philly! Think about it! It will be the best Philly show ever. I have even got my wife willing to let me come if Paul comes. Think about it: One guy with a fun British Accent and one guy with a funny Southern accent! The misadventures are limitless!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Where do you stand at the moment? I know I have bid on several items only winning one (the Randy Green Power Girl Sketch). How close are we? It is only 2 weeks til it is over and I would hate for Paul to be only a few dollars off from being able to attend. What about it fellow cardtalkers? There are still a lot of cool items to bid on.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the current bidding as of right now we stand at about $750. That should be enough for the plane ticket, so we at least have that covered. The focus now is trying to get enough for the room as well. But as it stands I think we will almost defintely see Paul at the Philly Show!

Posts: 31 | Location: Hickory, NC | Registered: June 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
$750 will cover a flight with an outside toilet, ESTA and a duvet in the back of Batman's pick-up Eek Big Grin

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I found a flight from the Birmingham, England to Allentown for total (taxes and everything) for $834 and I bet I could do better if I had time to look. It can be done but only with your help. Here is a change to bring one of the most popular card talkers to the US, are you going to help make it happen? We donate to everything else in America. Why not give 5 or 10 if that is all you can do to get Paul over her for the show? Heck, it's free to donate. If all you can do is 3 bucks(the cost of a pack of cards)it will help.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate your spirit Barrett!

By the way, Paul will fly from London, not from Birmingham. And the good thing about that is that it will be less expensive to fly from London then from Birmingham. Bear in mind we are also trying to raise funds for Paul's Allentown stay in addition to the flight. Paul has agreed to live on a diet of cards, pogs, and Guiness while he is in the U.S. Big Grin

I agree with what you say....we donate to all sorts of things here....why not help Paul realize a dream? You can give $10 or $15 and help. I donated and have also offered to let that silly podcaster stay here at my place when he is not at the show.

Once again, here is the link to Chris's ChipIn page. You can donate on the right-hand side where it shows the progress.

http://paul2philly.chipin.com/get-paul-to-philly-show

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for their support and encouragement! We only have a couple of weeks left and still a few great cards still up for auction!

Posts: 31 | Location: Hickory, NC | Registered: June 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
My offer still stands, if it will help! Wavey

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
It occurs to me to ask, Barrett - y'all have a fun British accent? Big Grin
Au Res.,
Paul (who DOES have a funny Southern accent - a Southern UK accent...)

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
To truely speak Southern English you have to drop the g at the end of every word ending with a g. EXAMPLE Walking= walk-in. No matter what soft drink you have it is a coke. "I would like a coke." does not mean you want a Coca-cola it could be a Pepsi.
And it does help to know southern cookin' as it is used in methaphors constantly! Example "We really need to help out Paul, I heard he is on an R/C and Moon Pie diet." Bonus points to the not southern cardtalker who knows what that means!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Barbara C
posted Hide Post
Royal Crown Cola and a dessert cake. The cake in similar to Tastycakes, and extra points to someone who knows what that is and who does not live near the Philadelphia area. Razz

Posts: 3139 | Location: New Castle, DE USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Good guess, you got the items right but not the phrase. My wife just lost out on a job in New Castle, DE. She was one of 2 canidates for a professorship there.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
My offer still stands, if it will help! Wavey

What was your offer Batman?

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
He offered to pay for the whole thing if someone would just ask him. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
At the risk of digressing further, there are certain similarities between what you describe Barrett, and so-called Estuary English, generally spoken in the South East.
We drop the G's too, contract and combine words, (innit - isn't it) and use colourful
Metaphors...
Au Res.,
Paul, like, you know, innit.

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
The Only Way Is Essex!! You guys across the pond must look it up, worst TV ever but that's what makes it fun to watch!

I'm in the most South East tip of the country, probably nearer to France than Essex!!!!

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
So, what is your excuse (card talk community)for not at least donating 3.00(the cost of a pack of cards) to this? I would like to hear them! Time is running out on what would be the most exciting guest in Philly card show history (excluding the time I came).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: barobehere,

Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
My excuse is that I'm trying to find a nice card to auction that might help, this one is going up for auction tonight and all proceeds from the sale will be donated to this worthwhile cause. A masterpiece by Don Pedicini Jr, I will post a link once listed.

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would really like to see Paul get to the show so please bid on this card to help out.

Posts: 377 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jason, terffic card! And naturally to you also, Don, as always great work!