Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comic-Con 2011
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
I may very well be UK bound in 2012!

Sorry, due to over capacity, all spaces are taken Big Grin

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why it's been so difficult this year. I've been a couple of times and never hit a brick-wall like this year.

I think this may well be my last attempt, I've spent too much messing around this time.

I may consider visiting a Philly Show in the future as it's mainly Trading Cards I'm interested in any-how.

If the show moves to Vegas, gets new Organisers and it has a larger capacity I may reconsider, but the Show appears to have outgrown San Deigo at present.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
I may very well be UK bound in 2012!

Sorry, due to over capacity, all spaces are taken Big Grin

Is that no luck for you Graham as well?

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I looked at Twitter before and there seemed to be a groundswell of unhappy people. And in the very short time I was reading tweets, 40 more had come in. There appear to be hundreds of tweets about Comic-Con, if not more.

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robomole
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,
I actually just finished registration for all of the individual days. It doesn't cost much more than a 4 day pass so if you still want to go, try and get the individual day passes before they are gone too!

Posts: 209 | Location: El Cajon, California | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
I finally got a 4 day pass!

The TicketLeap twitter mentioned that passes were not really sold out, and suggested to keep trying -- so I did, and roughly two hours later, I have a pass... I think Confused They charged my credit card and I got a confirmation email, but I can't get to the screen with the confirmation number because of the 'over capacity' message.

EDIT: Finally got my confirmation number. The page is pretty accessible now, but it also looks as if they have now really sold out of 4 day passes and the one days for Saturday only.

Man, I remember sending in my registration form in Jan/Feb and my friend faxing his in the day before prices went up in March. Now, they sell out on day one (or, technically, day 1.3).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jason00,

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of slackjawedyokel
posted Hide Post
I just checked the site and it looks like eveything is sold out now. Is this for real? Or is it more crash issues?

Posts: 889 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cause & Effect

08' Cause - Twilight - Effect Comic con sells out like normal a couple months before the show, Twilight fans boost cost of tickets on the secondary market (Ebay & Craigs list.

09' Cause - SDCC limits Per-view night Effect - Pre-view night sells out in Nov.

09' Cause - Due to Pre-view night selling out in Nov - Effect - People scramble to get whats left of the 4 day passes and they sell out in Feb

09' 4 day passes and Pre-view night sell out quickly - Effect people buy their 4 day passes at the show

10' people bought their 4 day passes at the show selling out Pre-view night at the show Effect - People freak out about not getting a pass.

10' People Freak out about getting a pass - Effect - 100,000 people rush to get their tickets at the same time shutting down SDCC's Website

10' SDCC Crash - Effect more people fear about not getting their tickets and SDCC chooses to try again in Feb

11' 100,000 people try again to buy passes all at once Effect more hype not enough tickets.

So everyone who goes to SDCC this year, make sure to buy your tickets for 12' at the show early !!!!

Posts: 522 | Location: New York City | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been going to comicon for 10 years now and it has finally got to the point where it is nothing to do with fans and collectors and all about people buying tickets, selling them and making money. I didn't manage to get tickets today and strangely I am not that bothered. I will see if I can get a return 4 day nearer the time, if not so be it. I enjoyed last years comicon but like Batman I think I may have to start looking elsewhere in future (sad as I live in San Diego).

Posts: 258 | Location: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T42:
I didn't manage to get tickets today and strangely I am not that bothered. I will see if I can get a return 4 day nearer the time, if not so be it. I enjoyed last years comicon but like Batman I think I may have to start looking elsewhere in future (sad as I live in San Diego).

Unfortunately I live in the U.K. and due to work committments have to plan Holiday/Flights well in advance, I wish I had the option of "waiting and see".

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
I blame the 'Big Bang Theory'.
Ace

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
It really looks like Comic Con doesn't care about supporters of the past as long as they sell tickets. Unless there's a dealer that wants someone to be their slave for setting up/packing away, I'll start saving for Megacon in 2012.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
Ever since Hollywood got involved is has become nothing but a big promotion for their movies and TV shows. Twilight put the whole thing over the edge.
Originally you had to be a geek to go to Con. It was about the comics, artists and writers. Hollywood came down to get "original" ideas for their movies like TMNT, Rocketeer, Men in Black and many more you probably did not know came from comics and deals made on the floor at Con. You could walk around without bumping into anyone & meet the artist of your favorite Marvel comics. If you got there early you could park in the lot downstairs and Preview Night was for dealers only; later included with a 4 day (full) membership.
Now it is work. The free stuff is not free if you count the costs. I came home smelling of BO from all the people who pushed up against me trying to grab some free stuff they were giving away.
Ace

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Hearts:
Ever since Hollywood got involved is has become nothing but a big promotion for their movies and TV shows. Twilight put the whole thing over the edge.
Originally you had to be a geek to go to Con. It was about the comics, artists and writers. Hollywood came down to get "original" ideas for their movies like TMNT, Rocketeer, Men in Black and many more you probably did not know came from comics and deals made on the floor at Con. You could walk around without bumping into anyone & meet the artist of your favorite Marvel comics. If you got there early you could park in the lot downstairs and Preview Night was for dealers only; later included with a 4 day (full) membership.
Now it is work. The free stuff is not free if you count the costs. I came home smelling of BO from all the people who pushed up against me trying to grab some free stuff they were giving away.
Ace

I my self go for all the TV Show panels. I love it. I gave up on the free stuff after my first year. I hit the floor on wed and Stay in Ballroom 20 pretty much the rest of the con.

There are tons of other shows if your in to comics and stuff like that only, try wonder-Con in San Francisco , C2E2 is still pretty small in comparison. NYCC blew up the last 2 years hitting about 100,000 people but the Comic crowd shows up. There is dragon con if your more in to books and fantasy or cos play.

SDCC you really have to pick one thing each day and focus on that. it pays to come with a plan.

Posts: 522 | Location: New York City | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been to Comic Con twice - once about 10 years ago and once about 3 years ago, the difference in those 7 or so years was enormous.

10 years ago it was a really cool GIGANTIC comic con with some Hollywood sprinkled in.

3 years ago there was a lot more Hollywood, but the real problem was the crowds. It was difficult to move around, it was difficult to see popular things, it was difficult to get into certain panels, it was difficult to get show exclusives (as many were scooped up to be immediately flipped on eBay).

In the last 3 years it has blown up. I can't even imagine what the crowds are like now.

I'd definitely go to Comic Con if I had the opportunity, I LOVE San Diego, but it the crowds and Hollywood take over have really dulled my desire to go to the show. . . not to mention just trying to buy tickets.

It would be cool if they did the show over two weekends or something -- the one for Comic stuff only and one with all the Hollywood stuff.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I've been to Comic Con twice - once about 10 years ago and once about 3 years ago, the difference in those 7 or so years was enormous.

10 years ago it was a really cool GIGANTIC comic con with some Hollywood sprinkled in.

3 years ago there was a lot more Hollywood, but the real problem was the crowds. It was difficult to move around, it was difficult to see popular things, it was difficult to get into certain panels, it was difficult to get show exclusives (as many were scooped up to be immediately flipped on eBay).

In the last 3 years it has blown up. I can't even imagine what the crowds are like now.

I'd definitely go to Comic Con if I had the opportunity, I LOVE San Diego, but it the crowds and Hollywood take over have really dulled my desire to go to the show. . . not to mention just trying to buy tickets.

It would be cool if they did the show over two weekends or something -- the one for Comic stuff only and one with all the Hollywood stuff.

Jon

Its about the same as 3 years ago. crowd wise. They hit their max 3 years ago. so its about the the same.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
If one thing was proven this year, it's that San Diego is now too small. 2007 was my first visit and I couldn't believe the scale of the show. 2009, parts became a chore. The fights that broke out for a free tote bag. Queuing for a con exclusive (which I wanted) whilst a bloke who had already got one was listing his on Ebay and queuing for a second. No cut off point for talks.Once the freebies had been given out, there is usually a mass exodus - I got into the Dexter talk 15 minutes after it started due to seats becoming 'free'. The list goes on...
Truth be told, I enjoyed the people I met and got reaquainted with, more than the show. This isn't to say I wouldn't go again, but with the ticketing situation the way it is, it's going to be a while.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
If one thing was proven this year, it's that San Diego is now too small. 2007 was my first visit and I couldn't believe the scale of the show. 2009, parts became a chore. The fights that broke out for a free tote bag. Queuing for a con exclusive (which I wanted) whilst a bloke who had already got one was listing his on Ebay and queuing for a second. No cut off point for talks.Once the freebies had been given out, there is usually a mass exodus - I got into the Dexter talk 15 minutes after it started due to seats becoming 'free'. The list goes on...
Truth be told, I enjoyed the people I met and got reaquainted with, more than the show. This isn't to say I wouldn't go again, but with the ticketing situation the way it is, it's going to be a while.

I gave up on the free stuff long ago, not worth the head ache, for panels Like I said above , I normally find 1 room where there will be a lot of panels I want to see and just stay in that room all day. Makes for a present time, then party at night !!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
And all these reasons are why I now go to Dragoncon instead..alot more fun, friendlier fans and great guest lists. Never had this kind of fun at Comic Con.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
I'll be there again this year. This will be the first time I will not be at Preview Night. I think I have missed only one year since 1989. A lot has changed in 20 years. I was never there just for the comics. There was the cards as well.
Ace