Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Memorabilia 21-22 March 2015
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Memorabilia 21-22 March 2015
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Wright:
The guest list is terrible for this event, must be desperate to start pulling in Eastenders cast!!! I would pay £20 to not have a photo with Ricky Groves but each to their own. I'll be along Saturday for the morning and will get an earlybird just so I don't have to stand for 2 hours queuing!!

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

For the first time in the longest time I won't be making the show when I'd actually like to go. I mainly want Danny Webb for Alien3, Colm Meaney is always a welcome addition as he's not too frequent a guest. Laurie Holden is a great addition for X-Files fans, and of course the Walking Dead.
I know that's only 3 names but I only go for a couple of people at most shows - whoever has organised them.

Was Memorabilia ever really known for amazing guest lists?

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Wonder how attendance numbers will compare with November

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alric
posted Hide Post
Apart for picking up a large order of cards, Colm Meaney is he main reason for me going. He will complete my poster for the DS9 main Crew Smile

Posts: 176 | Location: Kent, England | Registered: August 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
sad news to report that Cult-Stuff will not be attending the show and Unstoppable do not attend. It won't quite be the same without Liza, Jason & Kay. Frown

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
sad news to report that Cult-Stuff will not be attending the show and Unstoppable do not attend. It won't quite be the same without Liza, Jason & Kay. Frown

Do you know why Cult Stuff is not there Confused . I was hoping to find out what is going on as I have had no response to e-mails regarding redemptions for the last two months.

Looks like trading card dealers are going to be thin on the ground at this show Frown . I took a look at the programme and several dealers from November are not on the list.

Just found out Dean Rogers from Non Sport Trading Cards will not be there either due to family issues.

Only three card sellers I could find are Paul Hart, Derek's trading cards and D & M Cards. Looks like I will be going home around about the time general admission starts at 11.00. At least I will get to see the Rugby Union and Man.City V WBA.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Triple-Frog,

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Umbrella are there too

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Umbrella are there too

I missed that Smile . Hopefully pick up his latest promo.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well it was very busy but not a lot to interest trading card collectors. As I suspected I was in at 09.00 and gone by 11.00.

Had a chat with Paul from Umbrella cards( thank you for the promos Thumb Up) and also Wolfie ( thanks for the Dr Who lenticulars Thumb Up ). The Man Who Fell to Earth cards were being sold at the show, some nice looking sketches.

The only person I wanted an autograph of had not turned up and nobody knew if/when she was going to arrive so in the end I actually spent less in cards at the show than I did on the early entry ticket Roll Eyes .

Hopefully November will be better but if what I heard is true some of the dealers who did not come did so because they are not happy with the current organisers.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I'm turning Japanese, yes I'm turning Japanese, yes I think so. Elephant

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Memorabilia is over for another show and possibly Memorabilia is over altogether. Frown

The show has changed completely over the last few years and has become a large Cosplay / Manga event. Everywhere you look there are people in costumes, stall after stall of strange looking Japanese type stuff, Pokémon and Yu-gi-oh cards aplenty.

The variety of stalls seems to have been lost, now it is just a sea of the same sort of stalls and tables, mixed with gaming and cinema advertising.

Where does this leave non sport card collectors? For the first time I can remember there was no manufacturer presence at Memorabilia and half the dealers I can think of did not attend. For the dealers that did attend things did not look good, I can only hope they did better than it appeared or they may decide to be elsewhere aswell come November.

Maybe the time has come for the card dealers and old style memorabilia sellers to get back to shows like the Toy Fair at the NEC and connect with a new audience as the glory days of this show seem to be over for this type of collecting.

I may, in time, be proved wrong, hope so.

A big thanks should go to the card dealers who did attend, Umbrella, Paul Hart, D & M, Derek and Anthony, hope I didn't miss someone. Big Grin

Big thanks to Mr Frog who once again gave me a nice bag of cards to sort through, very much appreciated. Smile

Next up Milton Keynes in June, let's hope for better things.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the review Wolfie! Wave

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Second year attending Memorabilia (the March one, specifically, didn't bother with the November one), and it was far better than last year. Better organised, more space, better seating availability, and only one card dealer I expected to be there who wasn't (Dean Rogers, as mentioned above). Apart from him, I'm not sure who else it was reasonable to expect to be there?

I expect large numbers of cosplayers at every show now, so that aspect of it wasn't a surprise (or a disappointment) at all.

Spent a healthy amount of money with Umbrella, and the ever-reliable Derek, and went home happy.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alric
posted Hide Post
Having seen what happened to Comic Con (Which generaly gets referred to as the Manga show by friends) in London over the years it was fully expected that the same would happen to Memorabilia.
The show obviously had issues, which is why the new team bought it but its a shame that they are changing it so much that it will soon have no connection to what the show has always been advertised as and just be the Manga show NEC.

Posts: 176 | Location: Kent, England | Registered: August 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of the 'shows' are going that way sadly. The money is coming from the autograph obsessives and costuming folk. There's little or no interest in minority stuff like card collecting now.
Sign of the times and a sign of the greediness of many organisers. Just my opinion.

Posts: 288 | Location: Behind the sofa! | Registered: April 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Quist:

There's little or no interest in minority stuff like card collecting now.

I know what you mean but I think there is massive intrest in card collecting, look at the match attax and dr who battles in time cards. Kids were buying them up all over the country but they have no intrest in buying a card that costs £50 which is why I said in my report that dealers need to get back to toy fairs etc and re-connect with the card collectors of the future.

posted Hide Post
Game cards yes, not so much in trading cards though. The Torchwood cards of a similar variety though, completely failed to spark the same interest as the battles in time ones, despite being far superior in look and breakdown.

Posts: 288 | Location: Behind the sofa! | Registered: April 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Quist:
Game cards yes, not so much in trading cards though. The Torchwood cards of a similar variety though, completely failed to spark the same interest as the battles in time ones, despite being far superior in look and breakdown.

Torchwood killed itself by making the packs too expensive, battles in time I do not consider as game cards, they were however being traded and sold all over the country.

Picture of cardcollectors uk
posted Hide Post
It's interesting reading the comments about the show, as after the weekend, I didn't feel like I'd done a Memorabilia Show. I had a quick walk round and agree with what's been said. The amount of dealers selling Manga/Anime weird random stuff is well up, and as a lot of the Memorabilia dealers are all fairly old-school, it looks like a lot didn't book early enough to get a spot. In defence of those dealers though, there's only 11 different contributors to this thread for the UK's biggest show, so that kinda tells you why less dealers are attending. The fact that the show is moving towards more booths rather than dealer tables also is worrying for a lot of card dealers, as that outlay means you just wont get your investment back with non sport cards at that event.
As wolfie said though, the kids are there, and they will buy cards if they are priced correctly, so maybe we need Topps UK to take a look at the show to kickstart the next wave of collectors...

Posts: 128 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post