Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Chicago Comic Con (Wizard World) August 11-14.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago Comic Con (Wizard World) August 11-14.
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted
Who's going to Wizard World?

They have put together a seriously impressive guest list, and the panels look really interesting as well. . . and I don't mean the one or two cool panels I've seen posted in previous years:

Check it out. . .

http://www.wizardworld.com/programming-ch.html

I'm seriously impressed with the panels and guest list. . .

Wish they'd post an exhibitor list. . . which dealers are setting up?

I'm excited about this show like I haven't been in many many years. . .

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the celeb list:
Guest – Booth #

Addy Miller – 402
Adrian Kali Turner – 404
Alaina Huffman ¬– 320
Amy Bruni – 147
Anthony Guajardo ¬– 502
Anthony Michael Hall – 124
Barbara Nedeljàkova – 308
Betsy Baker – 134
Billy Corgan – 343
Blue World Order – 348
Bonnie Piesse – 215
Bruce Campbell – 134
Brutus “The Barber” Beefcake – 248
Chandler Riggs – 401
Charisma Carpenter – 107
Christine Elise – 128
Christopher Lloyd – 221
Cindy Morgan – 310
Clare Kramer – 107
Daniel Stewart – 127
David Della Rocco – 300
Denise Nickerson – 315
Edward Furlong – 217
Electra Avellan – 126
Elise Avellan – 126
Ellen Sandweiss – 134
Erin Gray – 323
Felicia Day – 106
Gareth David-Lloyd – 114
Gena Lee Nolin – 237
Gil Gerard – 314
Greg Grunberg – 326
Hal Delrich – 134
J. LaRose – 141
Jake Busey – 328
James C. Burns – 143
James Marsters – 107
Jeff Lewis – 108
Jim “Hackshaw” Duggan – 247
Julia Benson – 322
Julie Benz – 107
Julie Dawn Cole – 315
Kai Owen ¬– 116
Keisha Tillis – 404
Kelly Donovan – 107
Ken “Mr. Kennedy” Anderson – 342
LeVar Burton – 127
Lisa Marie Varon – 243
Lou Ferrigno – 334
Louis Gossett Jr. – 229
Maria Kanellis – 240
Melissa Cowans – 501
Mercedes McNab – 107
Michael Boellner – 327
Michael Kenworthy – 502
Michael Uslan – 336
Miguel Núñez – 122
Mike Grell – 312
Mimi Rogers – 321
Morena Baccarin – 110
Nicholas Brendon – 107
Noah Hathaway – 316
Norman Reedus – 300
Orli Shoshan – 213
Pam Grier – 227
Paris Themmen –327
Patricia Kara – 311
Patrick Stewart – 127
Peter Mayhew – 211
Peter Ostrum – 327
Peter Tork – 235
Ray Park – 209
Rikishi – 346
Sean “Val Venis” Morley – 246
Sean Maher – 112
Sean Patrick Flanery – 300
Tammy “Sunny” Sytch – 242
Ted DiBiase – 249
Theresa Tilly – 134
Tia Carrere – 123
Torrie Wilson – 241
Virgil – 249
Viviana Chavez – TBD
Vivica A. Fox – 120

An artist list is posted at http://www.wizardworld.com/exhibitors-ch.html

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Jon. I will be helping my friend again this year (Terry's Comics/Nationwide Comics). Assuming he will have a little bit of table space again for me this year so will bring out a nice assortment of chase cards and boxes.

Posts: 420 | Location: USA | Registered: October 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing you at the show. . . hopefully you get a tad more space than last year!

Jon

posted Hide Post
They *finally* have the dealer/exhibitor list posted for Chicago Comic Con. . .

It's a good thing the artist and guests lists are killer, because I don't see a single non-sport card dealer listed!?!

Derek . . . bring good stuff, I need a place to spend my money!

I am really amped to see some Fantasy artists back in Chicago too: William Stout, Jeff Easley and Larry Elmore. . . hope they bring some original stuff.

Dave Moulder was talking about coming, but I'm not sure what he decided. . . I emailed him the other day, but haven't heard back. . .

Anyone else coming?

Jon

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Chicago looks like an awesome con! I wish that their LA and Anaheim cons has as good of a lineup!

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of venom5liter
posted Hide Post
I'll be there Friday and Saturday to get a bunch of autographs and spend a little time in artist alley.

Trade List | Want List | NonSport Collection | Wrestling Collection | Facebook

Posts: 1857 | Location: Sugar Grove, IL, United States | Registered: October 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are going to be in aisle 1300. Under the name Terrys Comics or Nationwide Comics. Don't know how they will have us listed. Since it is my friends booth then I am very limited to display space. I do plan on bringing all my boxes and better chase cards. They may be underneath a table somewhere so feel free to ask. Will have a nice assortment of boxes including some of the very desirable Breygent packs which were exclusive to San Diego.

Posts: 420 | Location: USA | Registered: October 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
They *finally* have the dealer/exhibitor list posted for Chicago Comic Con. . .

Dave Moulder was talking about coming, but I'm not sure what he decided. . . I emailed him the other day, but haven't heard back. . .

Anyone else coming?

Jon

Sorry Jon, but it looks like a no go for me. The kids are off working summer jobs in New Jersey and the wife bailed on helping me so it's just a little too much to do by myself.

Dave

Posts: 507 | Location: MA | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Moulder:

Sorry Jon, but it looks like a no go for me. The kids are off working summer jobs in New Jersey and the wife bailed on helping me so it's just a little too much to do by myself.

Dave

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I think there are going to be lots of collectors with few dealers to buy from. . . Talk Donna in to it. . . it'll be worth it!

Jon

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, I can probably tell why there are fewer and fewer card dealers every year, on average- the COST of a booth is really outrageous! At about $ 1000.00 per booth, one will need to sell a TON of product, which, in many cases, has a low profit margin, if you sell sealed product, and then you need to compete with either other people there or internet sales. This is the main reason, I no longer do WW as an exhibitor. It is a shame, unfortunately, just like the rest of society, the cost is escalating to a point of being beyond affordable.
The admission cost will be next. Don't forget parking costs!
Look what it costs now, just to walk in the door, then, your autographs ( I think over 125 signers,) then artwork ( over 200 artists) , then you may also wish to purchase some product, (tons of exhibitors to choose from).
For the person with a limited cash flow,(which is almost all of us, these days) it is pretty much gone after the first hour or so.
You really need to plan to go to this show in advance and know exactly what you wish to buy and from whom. Unfortunately, no disposable income to make spot buys anymore!
So, it is both the exhibitors and the collectors getting the short end of the stick!
Best of luck to all who attend!

Posts: 955 | Location: HICKORY HILLS IL | Registered: April 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I think there are going to be lots of collectors with few dealers to buy from. . . Talk Donna in to it. . . it'll be worth it!

Jon

Plus the $5 autograph box just took a major hit the other week at our open house party. 1 guy took 160 autographs by himself. So I'm looking for Bulk Auto trades again.

You should try to come out to one of open house partys.

Dave

Posts: 507 | Location: MA | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAULM:
Well, I can probably tell why there are fewer and fewer card dealers every year, on average- the COST of a booth is really outrageous! At about $ 1000.00 per booth, one will need to sell a TON of product, which, in many cases, has a low profit margin, if you sell sealed product, and then you need to compete with either other people there or internet sales. This is the main reason, I no longer do WW as an exhibitor. It is a shame, unfortunately, just like the rest of society, the cost is escalating to a point of being beyond affordable.
The admission cost will be next. Don't forget parking costs!
Look what it costs now, just to walk in the door, then, your autographs ( I think over 125 signers,) then artwork ( over 200 artists) , then you may also wish to purchase some product, (tons of exhibitors to choose from).
For the person with a limited cash flow,(which is almost all of us, these days) it is pretty much gone after the first hour or so.
You really need to plan to go to this show in advance and know exactly what you wish to buy and from whom. Unfortunately, no disposable income to make spot buys anymore!
So, it is both the exhibitors and the collectors getting the short end of the stick!

Nothing more depressing than to have come to your booth and say they have $5 left to spend and the show just opened.

Dave

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Jon

Plus the $5 autograph box just took a major hit the other week at our open house party. 1 guy took 160 autographs by himself. So I'm looking for Bulk Auto trades again.

You should try to come out to one of open house partys.

Dave

Sure, let me know when the next one is and I'll see what I can do. . .

posted Hide Post
quote:

Last year was the most crowded I've seen Wizard World since I started going in 1994, so clearly they are doing something right. . . And believe me I'm no Wizard sympathizer. . . read some of my reviews from a few years ago. . . those were bleak times for the Chicago Comic Con. . . I think C2E2 has pushed WW to up their game in a big way.

Here is my review from last year:

http://webjon.com/blog/?p=496

Obviously this doesn't address the cost aspect of it it shows that there is a lot of opportunity -- if you can only harness it.

Jon

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Last year was the most crowded I've seen Wizard World since I started going in 1994, so clearly they are doing something right. . . And believe me I'm no Wizard sympathizer. . . read some of my reviews from a few years ago. . . those were bleak times for the Chicago Comic Con. . . I think C2E2 has pushed WW to up their game in a big way.

Obviously this doesn't address the cost aspect of it it shows that there is a lot of opportunity -- if you can only harness it.

Jon

Just have to figure out a way to blink my eyes and have the product appear from MA to IL. Then find someone that has a place to stay for free. Then magically find customers that are willing to pay a fair markup and not waste all their money in the autograph lines.

I've noticed that you never see customers try to get discounts at the autograph tables.

You want to see cards that aren't available at shows, then schedule a visit to MA and stop at the house. Only a handful of people are invited to our open house parties, but those that come have a good time.

Dave

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jon

Just have to figure out a way to blink my eyes and have the product appear from MA to IL. Then find someone that has a place to stay for free. Then magically find customers that are willing to pay a fair markup and not waste all their money in the autograph lines.

I've noticed that you never see customers try to get discounts at the autograph tables.

You want to see cards that aren't available at shows, then schedule a visit to MA and stop at the house. Only a handful of people are invited to our open house parties, but those that come have a good time.

Dave

I can probably hook you up with a place to stay. . . I can't help with moving the product, though. . .

I'm sure it's rare, but I have seen people try to get discounts at autograph tables. . .

It's all good. . . more cash for Derek. I hope he has some Pop Century. . .

Jon

posted Hide Post
Confirming our booth numbers are 1300,1301 and 1302. Jon- I just have 1 box left of this years Pop Century. The rest of the boxes of which you bought some last year are gone.

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

But C2E2 proved that getting people in the door does not make them spend money. There were LOTS of people in the hall and the 2 card dealers there had low sales.

I'll stick to the smaller card shows with less overhead. 95% of the people in the door WANT what I sell, it's the other way around at Wizard or C2E2.

They have driven the price up to the point that after table fees, parking, hotel, meals, and gas; I'm nearly $2000 invested before I sell a SINGLE card. That math just does not work anymore.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by non-sportcards:
Confirming our booth numbers are 1300,1301 and 1302. Jon- I just have 1 box left of this years Pop Century. The rest of the boxes of which you bought some last year are gone.

I've been buying singles of Pop Century 2011 so far -- bring your autos! (And your box too, who knows how my mood will strike on Saturday).

Jon