Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Chicago Comic Con (Wizard World) August 11-14.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago Comic Con (Wizard World) August 11-14.
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
But C2E2 proved that getting people in the door does not make them spend money. There were LOTS of people in the hall and the 2 card dealers there had low sales.

True, but C2E2's crowd was mostly looky loos who thought going to the convention would be a fun thing to do in the city on a weekend. Best summed up by a couple of my wife's sorority sisters who went. . . I ran into them after they just left a panel about Batman or something. . . they where *shocked* the panel was about comic books.

quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

I'll stick to the smaller card shows with less overhead. 95% of the people in the door WANT what I sell, it's the other way around at Wizard or C2E2.

Obviously you've gotta do what works for you financially and everything else . . . that said there are basically 0 opportunities to get new customers at a show that only sells non-sport cards -- all those folks already know you.

I've said it before -- someone should run a non-sport show in a neighboring hotel the same weekend as WW. The last time I brought this up the main reason people thought it was a bad idea was because the non-sport dealers would have to choose which show to set up at. . . not an issue anymore. There are definitely people traveling for this show. . . people that may not be willing to set up for a smaller non-sport only show.

Ohh well. . . I'm sure I'll have no trouble spending money at WW. . . Derek and plenty of artists will be there!

Anyone going who wants to do some trading? Kinda hard, but it can be done. . . I have a ton of stuff I'd like to find new homes for. . .

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ohh. . . and any collectors out there who are bummed non-sport dealers aren't setting up might want to email Wizard World and ask 'em what's up. . . it could motivate them to motivate some dealers to set up.

I've already done that, but, obviously one email isn't going to change much. . .

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hippiejewel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by venom5liter:
I'll be there Friday and Saturday to get a bunch of autographs and spend a little time in artist alley.

I have a weekend VIP James Marsters pass. So I'll be there all weekend. Barb on Saturday. No Robin.

Jewel Big Grin

Posts: 2035 | Location: Western Burbs of Chicago | Registered: April 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Have a great time everybody !
And don't forget to pick me up something good. And I ain't talking about food. Wink

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
There will be some Presidential Monsters cards being given away at this show. You will probably have to get them from a toy dealer like Heroes in Action.

If you find them please get me a set. Wavey

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tamara
posted Hide Post
If you're at the show stop by the '68 Zombie table (3145 & 3147) and say hi to Mark Kidwell and Nat Jones. You might also spot Joss and baby Grayson! They are there with Daddy (Nat).

Posts: 1830 | Location: Victoria, Canada | Registered: March 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Nice to see a post from you Tamara. Hope you are well (well, considering, of course).

Hope everyone has a good time at Wizard World. Hope someone takes pictures to post here too.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy ****. . .this show was awesome. . . I'm just getting home, actually. . . the crowd was HUGE, I kept having to remind myself that today was Friday. . . it was insane. The artist area is about twice as large as it was last year, the dealer area is larger too.

I found 2 full dealer set ups: Juniors and Triangle Cards, 2 other dealers had partial set ups (Derek and another guy, I don't know), plus a smattering of vintage cards around too.

The artist area was a blast, Nathan Ohlendorf has a few packs of Dynamo 5 that are essentially pre-release. Lots of artists. . . so much to see. . . I'm exhausted. . .

One dealer said they did more business on preview night in Chicago than they did preview night in San Diego. . . amazing. If you can make this show get there!

Jon