Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Chicago Comic Con (Wizard World) August 11-14.

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6236037711/m/1827035706

August 05, 2011, 01:03 AM
webjon
Chicago Comic Con (Wizard World) August 11-14.
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
But C2E2 proved that getting people in the door does not make them spend money. There were LOTS of people in the hall and the 2 card dealers there had low sales.

True, but C2E2's crowd was mostly looky loos who thought going to the convention would be a fun thing to do in the city on a weekend. Best summed up by a couple of my wife's sorority sisters who went. . . I ran into them after they just left a panel about Batman or something. . . they where *shocked* the panel was about comic books.

quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

I'll stick to the smaller card shows with less overhead. 95% of the people in the door WANT what I sell, it's the other way around at Wizard or C2E2.

Obviously you've gotta do what works for you financially and everything else . . . that said there are basically 0 opportunities to get new customers at a show that only sells non-sport cards -- all those folks already know you.

I've said it before -- someone should run a non-sport show in a neighboring hotel the same weekend as WW. The last time I brought this up the main reason people thought it was a bad idea was because the non-sport dealers would have to choose which show to set up at. . . not an issue anymore. There are definitely people traveling for this show. . . people that may not be willing to set up for a smaller non-sport only show.

Ohh well. . . I'm sure I'll have no trouble spending money at WW. . . Derek and plenty of artists will be there!

Anyone going who wants to do some trading? Kinda hard, but it can be done. . . I have a ton of stuff I'd like to find new homes for. . .

Jon
August 05, 2011, 01:04 AM
webjon
Ohh. . . and any collectors out there who are bummed non-sport dealers aren't setting up might want to email Wizard World and ask 'em what's up. . . it could motivate them to motivate some dealers to set up.

I've already done that, but, obviously one email isn't going to change much. . .

Jon
August 11, 2011, 07:12 PM
hippiejewel
quote:
Originally posted by venom5liter:
I'll be there Friday and Saturday to get a bunch of autographs and spend a little time in artist alley.

I have a weekend VIP James Marsters pass. So I'll be there all weekend. Barb on Saturday. No Robin.

Jewel Big Grin

August 12, 2011, 10:03 AM
Freddy
Have a great time everybody !
And don't forget to pick me up something good. And I ain't talking about food. Wink

August 12, 2011, 10:30 AM
wolfie
There will be some Presidential Monsters cards being given away at this show. You will probably have to get them from a toy dealer like Heroes in Action.

If you find them please get me a set. Wavey

August 12, 2011, 11:43 AM
Tamara
If you're at the show stop by the '68 Zombie table (3145 & 3147) and say hi to Mark Kidwell and Nat Jones. You might also spot Joss and baby Grayson! They are there with Daddy (Nat).

August 12, 2011, 01:16 PM
H_Toser
Nice to see a post from you Tamara. Hope you are well (well, considering, of course).

Hope everyone has a good time at Wizard World. Hope someone takes pictures to post here too.

August 12, 2011, 11:07 PM
webjon
Holy ****. . .this show was awesome. . . I'm just getting home, actually. . . the crowd was HUGE, I kept having to remind myself that today was Friday. . . it was insane. The artist area is about twice as large as it was last year, the dealer area is larger too.

I found 2 full dealer set ups: Juniors and Triangle Cards, 2 other dealers had partial set ups (Derek and another guy, I don't know), plus a smattering of vintage cards around too.

The artist area was a blast, Nathan Ohlendorf has a few packs of Dynamo 5 that are essentially pre-release. Lots of artists. . . so much to see. . . I'm exhausted. . .

One dealer said they did more business on preview night in Chicago than they did preview night in San Diego. . . amazing. If you can make this show get there!

Jon