Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Flying To Shows/Conventions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying To Shows/Conventions
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
I'll be flying to the Philly Show this weekend, usually I drive.

I'm wondering what everyone's strategies are for getting big/bulky/fragile items home like say binders or something like Wacky Packages Cereal Boxes or Wax Eye Cereal Boxes, etc?

Is there a packing strategy?

Do you mail them to yourself before getting on the plane?

Should I just avoid purchasing these types of items on this trip?

otim

Posts: 700 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've never had to ship anything, but I've considered it. . . I carry on anything that I care about -- they call baggage handlers tossers for a reason.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Depending on how expensive large items are to ship to Canada, but when we go vacationing to someplace like Disney where we buy some bulky items, I have the hotel ship them back home so I do not have to deal with the airlines. You will find it safer, I believe, and you can insure your items against damage.
Today's shipping costs are not as cheap as they once were. You will need to get the particulars and check out UPS or Federal Express and determine which is the best way for you.
If you go this way, you may wish to ask someone in PA near the show, where the closest UPS or Fed Exp office is. This will help in your decision. Good luck see you at the show.
Paul

Posts: 955 | Location: HICKORY HILLS IL | Registered: April 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I'm always overloaded at Comic Con, usually with stuff that's not even mine (not this year!). Mailing things home is an option, but that can get costly. I generally pack light and then get as much as I can into my suitcases, and as Jon said, I bring valuable/fragile items back in my carry-ons, too much risk leaving them in a checked bag.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My hope is to not have to check any luggage, as it will speed things up not having to wait for them to unload it - and it is only a weekend trip after all.

What do they usually let you bring on the plane - I'm flying United/US Airways (if it matters)? As I understand/recall it's two bags - or are they not strict about what you carry on?

otim

Posts: 700 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post