Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Philly Non-Sports Card Show - October 16 + 17 [NEW LOCATION]
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Philly Non-Sports Card Show - October 16 + 17 [NEW LOCATION]
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
And I believe there will be a Card Talk meeting as well.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
By the way, Ted....Thanks for posting this. And whoops! I accidently edited your post instead of responded to it. Bad me. I put it back but it still has the edited note.

I won't use so many swear words next time. Big Grin

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
And I believe there will be a Card Talk meeting as well.

Thumb Up

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of andynova
posted Hide Post
Less than 30 days until the Philly Show. I can't wait. I hope the new location brings new people. Will be interesting to see Atom Bomb.

Got a question - as everyone has to show proof of vaccination, do we have to bring the original vaccine card or can we show a scan of it on our phone?

Posts: 106 | Location: West Chester, PA, USA | Registered: December 18, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andynova:
Less than 30 days until the Philly Show. I can't wait. I hope the new location brings new people. Will be interesting to see Atom Bomb.

Got a question - as everyone has to show proof of vaccination, do we have to bring the original vaccine card or can we show a scan of it on our phone?

Thanks for asking. A scan will be fine and you will need to show your driver's license or government ID with the same name on it.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
Is there going to be a Card Talk meeting at the upcoming Philly Show? Trying to make plans based on the new location. Thanks

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
ME TO. THERE IS ANOTHER SHOW CLOSER TO ME THAT I WANT TO BUY A TICKET FOR AND IF THERE IS NO TALK MEETING I WILL DO YOUR SHOW ON SAT RATHER THEN SUNDAY.
quote:
Originally posted by AWR:
Is there going to be a Card Talk meeting at the upcoming Philly Show? Trying to make plans based on the new location. Thanks

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AWR:

Card Talk plans are still tbd. I know it's getting late but I don't have firm plans to share just yet. We're hoping to have it. I will try and keep eveyrone updated here. Thanks.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never been to this or any other show and I don't know how it works, so I'm hoping the good folks here can answer a few questions for me.
Should I bring cards to possibly trade/sell? Does everyone take credit/debit cards or do I need cash? Is there anything else I should know which will make the experience more fun?

Thanks in advance. Smile

Posts: 27 | Location: USA | Registered: May 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMH710:
I've never been to this or any other show and I don't know how it works, so I'm hoping the good folks here can answer a few questions for me.
Should I bring cards to possibly trade/sell? Does everyone take credit/debit cards or do I need cash? Is there anything else I should know which will make the experience more fun?

Thanks in advance. Smile

Welcome JMH710!

I've had the most luck with trading cards at the show when I've connected with specific people in advance based upon our posted need/want lists. There might be people who trade in general; but, I am not sure where/when that happens.

In the past, most vendors have taken credit cards or worked with other vendors who do. But, cash is always appreciated. I've also written checks in the past; but, that depends on the dealer.

I've been coming for years and have always had a great time. I hope you do as well! If there is a Card Talk meeting, I'd definitely recommend attending that. Harris will let us know about that when he knows.

Posts: 465 | Location: Sarasota, FL, USA | Registered: June 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deena:
quote:

Thanks in advance. Smile

Welcome JMH710!

I've had the most luck with trading cards at the show when I've connected with specific people in advance based upon our posted need/want lists. There might be people who trade in general; but, I am not sure where/when that happens.

In the past, most vendors have taken credit cards or worked with other vendors who do. But, cash is always appreciated. I've also written checks in the past; but, that depends on the dealer.

I've been coming for years and have always had a great time. I hope you do as well! If there is a Card Talk meeting, I'd definitely recommend attending that. Harris will let us know about that when he knows.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for the Card Talk meeting. I"m looking forward to the show - except the part where I have to drive on the Schuylkill. Wink

Posts: 27 | Location: USA | Registered: May 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never been to this or any other show and I don't know how it works. Smile

Been awhile, but I'm sure most things stay the same. This is general and not about Philly, don't know it.

Bring cash to shows and ask dealers to give you discounts for cash if you think the price can go lower. They can only say No.

If you are looking for something specific and in high demand go early on the first day, because a hot item will be gone fast. If you have no particular item in mind and just want good deals, go on the last day in the last couple of hours. Dealers that haven't done well or don't want to pack a lot of stuff up to haul back start dumping prices that they were firm on yesterday. They also become more willing to trade. I have often gone to scout things in the middle of a show and come back in the last hour to see what's left. Believe me it works, but you have to be willing to miss some items you didn't pick up sooner.

Trading and selling of your own cards is very iffy and I agree with Deena, you should have contact with people or approval before you start whipping out your cards. I've been to shows that will throw you out for that or you have to go out to the parking lot if you want to interest another collector, like a scalper does. You can't blame a show promoter or dealer who are doing business and don't want someone who hasn't paid in to make money.

Having said that, some dealers will look at your cards and don't mind trading or even buying if they like your price. So it's not universal and you have to know them or ask politely if you don't. Do not display to other collectors while they are looking at tables or someone will surely show you the door. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
I've never been to this or any other show and I don't know how it works. Smile

Been awhile, but I'm sure most things stay the same. This is general and not about Philly, don't know it.

Bring cash to shows and ask dealers to give you discounts for cash if you think the price can go lower. They can only say No.

If you are looking for something specific and in high demand go early on the first day, because a hot item will be gone fast. If you have no particular item in mind and just want good deals, go on the last day in the last couple of hours. Dealers that haven't done well or don't want to pack a lot of stuff up to haul back start dumping prices that they were firm on yesterday. They also become more willing to trade. I have often gone to scout things in the middle of a show and come back in the last hour to see what's left. Believe me it works, but you have to be willing to miss some items you didn't pick up sooner.

Trading and selling of your own cards is very iffy and I agree with Deena, you should have contact with people or approval before you start whipping out your cards. I've been to shows that will throw you out for that or you have to go out to the parking lot if you want to interest another collector, like a scalper does. You can't blame a show promoter or dealer who are doing business and don't want someone who hasn't paid in to make money.

Having said that, some dealers will look at your cards and don't mind trading or even buying if they like your price. So it's not universal and you have to know them or ask politely if you don't. Do not display to other collectors while they are looking at tables or someone will surely show you the door. Big Grin

It hadn't even occurred to me to try selling/trading to other customers, do people really do that? How shady. I only meant if dealers sometimes bought or traded.

This is some great advice about timing, which I had not considered. Thanks for sharing.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
It hadn't even occurred to me to try selling/trading to other customers, do people really do that? How shady.

Yes, they do it if they can get away with it. At a large sprawling show they can hide it in the crowds. At a smallish card show they stand out too much and will be noticed. They are shady, but would call themselves slick. Wink It takes all kinds.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trading between collectors at shows is just fine. I haven't been to Philly, but I've been to many similar shows, and there are often places to sit where you can chat with other collectors. I've made MANY great trades at shows with other collectors.

That said obviously if you are trying to interfere with the dealers they aren't going to be happy about that -- just have some tact.

It is a good idea to try to connect with other collectors ahead of time if you want to trade.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
My advice is to just go and enjoy the show, there are plenty of opportunities to network/trade with other collectors, especially after hours in the lobby of the Hilton Garden Inn, at organized functions like the Card Talk gathering, or casual gatherings like the Saturday evening restaurant gathering. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I always bring cards to trade. I have even traded many of the dealers there. I always bring a binder with me of stuff. What kinds of things are you looking for?

quote:

Thanks in advance. Smile

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
For anyone that wishes to access wi-fi at the show, here is how to and the charges:-

1. Open the Wi-Fi setting on the device (phone, laptop, tablet, etc.) that needs access.
2. Choose “OaksExpoPublic”.
3. On the log in page choose the package that best suits your needs.
4. Provide the requested payment info to connect. The system will automatically recognize the device anytime you need to log on during the purchased time. Connections are good only through the device with which access was purchased.

Standard Individual Rates: 15 Minutes: Free

Basic 1.5 Mbps/1.5 Mbps
1 Day: $20
2 Day: $30
4 Day: $35

Premium 5Mbps/5Mbps
1 Day: $25
2 Day: $35
4 Day: $40

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
For anyone that wishes to access wi-fi at the show, here is how to and the charges:-

1. Open the Wi-Fi setting on the device (phone, laptop, tablet, etc.) that needs access.
2. Choose “OaksExpoPublic”.
3. On the log in page choose the package that best suits your needs.
4. Provide the requested payment info to connect. The system will automatically recognize the device anytime you need to log on during the purchased time. Connections are good only through the device with which access was purchased.

Standard Individual Rates: 15 Minutes: Free

Basic 1.5 Mbps/1.5 Mbps
1 Day: $20
2 Day: $30
4 Day: $35

Premium 5Mbps/5Mbps
1 Day: $25
2 Day: $35
4 Day: $40

Do you know if there is cell service inside the building?

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
We will be holding a Card Talk member gathering and it will take place at the Hampton Inn & Suites. You can find details here:

Card Talk October 2021 Member Gathering