Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    May Philly Show Cancellation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

May Philly Show Cancellation
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
For the health and safety of all, and with great sadness, the May 2 & 3 Philly Non-Sports Card Show is cancelled. We hope to see you at the 72nd Philly Show on October 17 & 18. We wish all Philly Show attendees, dealers, artists, guests, and friends the best of health and hope you are all doing well during these unprecedented times.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
Yesterday and Today would have been the 72nd Philly Show. Trying to remember how many years I have been attending. I go back to when the show was Friday and Saturday at the NJ Convention Hall. Then it moved to the College for a bit before moving to the current location. I remember early on having the card talk gathering in the concession area right by the show entrance.

Is there any documented history of the show (dates, locations, et...). Would be fun to look back

Was thinking about this this morning while eating breakfast, as I would have been heading out to the hotel for the Card Talk Meeting and then over to the show.

Hopefully things will be back to some sort of normalcy in the fall. Hope to see everybody in October. Andy

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
The Philly Show has a rich history, it sucks even missing one show. I remember my first one at the Holiday Inn in Bensalem, it was like Christmas for adults, there was so much cards!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I am trying to remember the year, Autumn 2005 I believe. I flew to Baltimore, MD to stay with cardtalker Dobbie the House Elf. When I arrived both his wife and daughter had gotten the flu. There was a Ramada near where he lived and I got a room there. Between "Big Santa", drug dealers and addicts, a party of military personal departing the next day upstairs, homeless people, the electricity going out in most of the room and watching Rob Zombie's "House of 1000 Corpses" at the point I had not slept for 24 hours, rain and sleet mixed with snow with a 5AM pick up to drive to the show it was a wild time. On the way back I watch a couple brawl at a Bob Evans restaurant and had a conversation with a young Russian woman who wanted to know if I was interested in marriage to get her citizenship.

All of which I did not think was any weirder then then time I hitchhiked across New Jersey to get to the Philly Show.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AWR:
Yesterday and Today would have been the 72nd Philly Show. Trying to remember how many years I have been attending. I go back to when the show was Friday and Saturday at the NJ Convention Hall. Then it moved to the College for a bit before moving to the current location. I remember early on having the card talk gathering in the concession area right by the show entrance.

Is there any documented history of the show (dates, locations, et...). Would be fun to look back

Was thinking about this this morning while eating breakfast, as I would have been heading out to the hotel for the Card Talk Meeting and then over to the show.

Hopefully things will be back to some sort of normalcy in the fall. Hope to see everybody in October. Andy

Andy:

The show is not really documented online. It should be!

Your post got me thinking about it and the only place I can think where we have written about the show is in some of the dinner programs. I think there's been an article or two in NSU as well.

I found a good piece that original show promoter Frank Reighter wrote for our 50th show (the show that was to take place this weekend would have been show 72). Frank had some good info in his piece. Please see that below. This is also now posted on the show's Facebook page.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AWR:
I go back to when the show was Friday and Saturday at the NJ Convention Hall. Then it moved to the College for a bit before moving to the current location.

My first time was at "the College". Last year, when I had a business meeting in Mount Pleasant, I drove by to check it out. The venue has been renamed but I could still recognize and reminisce ...

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post