Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Coronavirus and Shows
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coronavirus and Shows
 Login/Join

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I was in Walmart yesterday and the only thing on my weekly grocery list that was out was regular white rice. They had some of the variety of rice that I don't cook with. I did notice that 2 ply toliet paper was out when I walked down the isle and I did not pass the hand sanitizer.

Slightly more people then normal but not a lot. Did see a women with around 10 cases of water and several large bags of dog food.

I had to buy more food because my son's college has decided to take an addition week off for spring break and he will do the last 5 week of classes online. We had to go up on Friday and empty out his dorm room.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I did my shopping last week, but what I'm hearing from my neighbors is that a lot of stores are pretty wiped out of certain things like paper products, bread, meat, cleaning supplies, etc.

Apparently the check out line at the warehouse club stores was up to 3 hours over the weekend.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Tried to do my weekly shopping Saturday and had to go to three stores to get everything off my list. Walmart looked like the last days of a going out of business sale.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
Tried to do my weekly shopping Saturday and had to go to three stores to get everything off my list. Walmart looked like the last days of a going out of business sale.

Gonna get worse with the Tri-State restricting restaurants and bars to take-out only. And gatherings of only less than 50 allowed. Imagine the weddings and catering hall parties this will effect, with nobody saying who makes up the money. And the stock market has found a new sub-basement.

It's a health crisis now, so anything goes. Wait and see what happens when that passes and everyone counts the economic damage, at least some of which will be deemed unnecessary after the fact. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
AMC Theaters will now limit attendance to 50 people per showing.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep seeing emails from upcoming shows -- the first email is 'The Show must go on' then 2 days later 'The show is canceled.'

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:

NJ is ordering theaters closed as of 8pm tonight.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:

NJ is ordering theaters closed as of 8pm tonight.

Same with NY. The Tri-State Governors are all imposing the same restrictions. All movie and Broadway theatres are shut. Bars must be closed unless they sell food. Bars that sell food can stay open with take out only, but you can also take out the liquor, which is a temporary change. Restaurants can only serve take-out. They would like all businesses besides grocery and pharmacy stores to close by 8PM, but its not a curfew yet. Government offices are reducing their non-essential work force coming in by at least 50%. Each state is making up its own rules and some are more impacted than others. NY and NJ have more Coronavirus cases than many other States.

On a side note, MLB has postponed the start of the season indefinitely. No one is coming back in two weeks over here, no matter what they say.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

I went and saw the original 1933 King Kong yesterday at AMC.

Maybe 12 people were there. Never saw it on the big screen before....just had to go. ;-)

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Cryptozoic just pulled out of Philly so prepare for Philly to get cancelled.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Regal theater chain is closing all theaters as of tonight.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
Although it's not been announced on the show's Facebook page, Ed Webb has said on his Facebook page that there are "No shows for the foreseeable future." From that, I'm inferring that the Chicago show is cancelled. Since the Philly Show is the following weekend, I would assume that means he'll not be attending the Philly show as well.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Santa Clara County and at least a couple of others in the San Francisco Bay Area got a "shelter-in-place" order yesterday. It's not martial law but people are being told to stay home except for "essential travel" like trips to the grocery store, doctor's appointments, and emergencies. We're not supposed to go to work. A lot of stores and various workplaces like hair salons and barber shops are closed. I see Fed Ex places are still open. It's not really being enforced yet as a sheriff's car drove right by today but traffic on the usually-loaded freeways around here by this time is light. I hear the NYC area is looking at doing the same, probably monitoring how things are going here.

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Since you mention it, what is going on in NY would be hysterical if it didn't involve a health crisis. Big Grin

NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio and NYS Governor Cuomo hate each other's guts on a good day. De Blasio is the one who is spouting "shelter in place", even though that phrase is used for things like blizzards and tornados. You know, stuff that passes. If you shelter in place for 45 days or so, you will probably starve.

Meanwhile Cuomo is saying that he sees no quarantine necessary, and by the way, no one has the authority to impose a quarantine beside the State government. Take that de Blaiso.

These guys have daily competing news briefings since this started. Meanwhile actual New Yorkers are watching everything being closed down while waiting for the Martians to land, or at least that's what it feels like.

Thankfully there are no big numbers of Coronavirus deaths yet to report and I hope it stays that way. I would be very happy if all the experts are wrong and we don't have this virus peak coming at all. They will of course say that their measures prevented it and I'd be fine with that. But you can't just tell everyone to stay home any place for an undetermined time. Anybody watch Mad Max lately? Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So far for us, "Shelter-in-Place" just means you should stay home, but if you need to go to the store or the bank or check on an elderly relative/friend, go ahead. The local grocery store was packed yesterday though the automatic checker line went pretty fast. Today, there was no line whatsoever and I picked up a couple of sandwiches at a restaurant still open but just taking take-out orders. The local Popeye's was still open too.

It was weird driving to and from the restaurant. I normally avoid that main road during the evening commute because it's packed. It was about 6pm, an hour from sunset, but the traffic was like it was 11pm with just a few cars going in both directions.

Yeah, we need to try to stay positive. While we might have to rough it for a few weeks, we might start getting some good news in that time. Those that remember the Depression and World War II might think the younger generations have had it too easy for too long with their fancy phones, space ships, and rototillers.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Since you mention it, what is going on in NY would be hysterical if it didn't involve a health crisis. Big Grin

NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio and NYS Governor Cuomo hate each other's guts on a good day. De Blasio is the one who is spouting "shelter in place", even though that phrase is used for things like blizzards and tornados. You know, stuff that passes. If you shelter in place for 45 days or so, you will probably starve.

Meanwhile Cuomo is saying that he sees no quarantine necessary, and by the way, no one has the authority to impose a quarantine beside the State government. Take that de Blaiso.

These guys have daily competing news briefings since this started. Meanwhile actual New Yorkers are watching everything being closed down while waiting for the Martians to land, or at least that's what it feels like.

Thankfully there are no big numbers of Coronavirus deaths yet to report and I hope it stays that way. I would be very happy if all the experts are wrong and we don't have this virus peak coming at all. They will of course say that their measures prevented it and I'd be fine with that. But you can't just tell everyone to stay home any place for an undetermined time. Anybody watch Mad Max lately? Big Grin

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although it's not been announced on the show's Facebook page, Ed Webb has said on his Facebook page that there are "No shows for the foreseeable future." From that, I'm inferring that the Chicago show is cancelled. Since the Philly Show is the following weekend, I would assume that means he'll not be attending the Philly show as well.

Please don't assume for me.

My "Foreseeable Future" is the next month. All my shows for the next month have cancelled.

Philly is still on as far as I know. I received my contract today.

This reminds me of someone on another board that posted "since Cryptozoic isn't coming, I assume Philly is off." Just rumors and guesswork until announcements are made.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
Ed - I didn't assume for you. I assumed for me. And I apparently assumed incorrectly. For that, I will apologize.

I'll look forward to more specific announcements about your upcoming show schedules.

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
I will keep hoping that things settle down and the Philly show is not cancelled. My daughter looks forward to the show as do I.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Anna Wintour has just cancelled the beautiful people's extravagate Met Gala, which is annually held in NYC the first Monday in May.

Chalk that up to something good coming out of it. Big Grin

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Let’s all just do our part and hope for the best. There will be shows at some point, and I will be back to support them.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post