Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Coronavirus and Shows
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coronavirus and Shows
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by handicapabletrader:
to have the belief that lies can come from any american source.

quote:

Well, they can. In the heat of "breaking news" even the best reporting can cite information they believe to be reliable, but turns out to be untrue. Sometimes you have to wait a bit for the facts to surface.

yep, that's why i say they're not lies. you have to know the truth to lie about it. that's why you have to have the information and then it's important to check the sources. and when real media gets it wrong they apologize...usually.
nature does it on their contents page. our government TV station has a 15 minute a week segment to redact information they got wrong and keep the commercial trash in line a bit.

quote:
quote:
you will not find any lies in Nature magazine Smile

quote:

Of course that's not an "American" source. Perhaps not consciously. But even peer review can be imperfect. Just recently Nature apologized for its coverage of Covid-19.

um. both my microbiologist parents were being published in nature while working for the american government. that's content funded,created, published and sold in america.
and repeated peer review is pretty perfect .it's as close to 100% you can be about a fact. but famously numbers like 60% are thrown around when referring to how much of science is proven wrong within 12 months. that's just the nature of what science is. it's the closest to facts we know at this moment right now.
quote:
quote:
i agree with your sentiment that it should be our usual setting to distrust media now.

if only the whole of america would be like you. i'm just tired of seeing lies not called out anymore.
quote:

that's why it's important to take heed when you find good sources of truth like mad dog maddess this week.
that's someone who was in the room with the president of the USA for a long while and can say things that are backed up by white house records.
quote:

I believe you're thinking of somebody else, not Maddis.

nope go check that mess out it's pretty funny. he wrote his autobiograpghy when he left office and in it said he would not say a word against the current president because it was a bad show for the country if it's officials sling poo at the sitting president...and then he goes and says some really really harsh words in the last week about his feelings towards the sitting president

Posts: 53 | Location: Springfield | Registered: June 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
okaaay Smile this thread hijacking is over. exits can be found at the bottom left and bottom right of your screen. i hope this hijacking has been pleasurable and you will choose to read extended rants from handicapabletrader hijackings again Smile

Posts: 53 | Location: Springfield | Registered: June 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Has there been any update on the fall Philly show?

Also haven't seen any updates on the National since they moved it to December. Would have thought for as big as it is they would have some more updates by now. There is around 2% non-sport there Dance

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I would forget all about shows for the rest of this year. Anything that gets large crowds of folks in a small space together is just asking for trouble.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A big annual mineral/fossil show in Tokyo is still on for December. Everybody wears masks there.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I would forget all about shows for the rest of this year. Anything that gets large crowds of folks in a small space together is just asking for trouble.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Holding out some hope for the Philly show, but still a lot of unknowns. If a number of dealers opt not to attend that would be a problem, and if the number of attendees is limited that would be a problem as well. I have no problem wearing a mask if that is required and for safety reasons I think it should be mandatory. Time will tell, but it does not
look good at this point.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Holding out some hope for the Philly show, but still a lot of unknowns. If a number of dealers opt not to attend that would be a problem, and if the number of attendees is limited that would be a problem as well. I have no problem wearing a mask if that is required and for safety reasons I think it should be mandatory. Time will tell, but it does not
look good at this point.
I think there would be harsher restrictions or even a temporary ban on show like this because of the nature of the show, the virus and the way it can be passed on by touch. I'm facing similar restrictions with my 10-pin bowling, and I'm using my own equipment.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I agree with you all that it doesn't look good.

Philadelphia has banned all large gatherings for the rest of the year so would guess restrictions like that would bleed over into surrounding areas like Allentown.

On a positive note it gives me more time to sort through the stacks of boxes in my office and see if I have enough to set up in the Spring!

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
look good at this point.
I think there would be harsher restrictions or even a temporary ban on show like this because of the nature of the show, the virus and the way it can be passed on by touch. I'm facing similar restrictions with my 10-pin bowling, and I'm using my own equipment.

I worry about sanitation at card shows.

We sort through boxes, flip through binders, and pick up boxes to look at them all the while we're just 4 feet away from the dealer on the other side of the table.

No real way to sanitize between customers. You can't wipe off all the cards in a box or every page in a binder.

And the Philly Show in particular has a much older crowd and dealer group than a typical comic con. And let's just admit the room is dirty and little to no air filtration.

I just had my last big show for the year cancel for October (rescheduled from April). Things aren't looking good in the world of shows.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think an outdoor card show on a nice day would be great. Move into a parking lot with some tables and umbrellas, allow 2 or 3 people by the table at a time, everyone else stands back and takes their turn. Wear masks, it should be fine.

When this first started everyone was nuts about surfaces. Wash everything, disinfect everything, don't touch anything, wear gloves. Then they decided that the virus didn't stay that long on surfaces and the disinfect sprays and gels were doing more harm than good. Then they stopped talking about surfaces at all, probably because they realized that people felt they couldn't ever be clean enough, so why bother. You can't go out in a hazmat suit and if that's the guidelines, forget about it.

So reasonable precautions are in order, but if its an absolute guarantee someone needs, there will never be another card show or anything else public for that matter.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
With the limits on other activities that might be scheduled into Merchant's Square, it's possible that the Philly Show could get a deal on space and spread out into upstairs rooms. Some of the store sites may have been vacated by the lack of other traffic. Who knows what the environment will be like by then?

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post