Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Convention Survival Guide
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convention Survival Guide
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kennywood,

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Off the top of my head:

• If you are a business owner, don't forget your business cards! You don't know how many times I've been behind the NSU booth and have asked store owners, distributors, etc. for their card and they've forgotten it, though I must admit that I have done that myself too.

• I've seen people bring mailing labels with them to shows. They use them for filling out forms that some exhibitors require in order to receive various promotion items. I always thought that was handy.

I'm sure there are others....

Visit Non-Sport Update at www.nonsportupdate.com

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I always try to have a loosly based plan, so I can be sure to get what I want/see who I want/attend what I want. I have yet to see a full schedule of programming , but when it is posted I'll try to put togethor some type of schedule. I know that on preview night, I want the Mattel Batman Con exclusive,which is limited, so I will go there first and get it so I don't have to worry about it selling out if I wait. My second stop will be the Inkworks booth, although I'm sure I will stop there quite a few times by the end of the week. I probably will put one day aside to just go and do whatever, as that always seems to be the most fun when all is said and done. Thanks for the tips, Kennywood and Harris, I especially like the idea of the preprinted address labels, that would be a real time saver. Less than 2 weeks!! Warm up the Batplane!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hippiejewel
posted Hide Post
Don't forget a backpack or shoulder bag of some kind as well.... I don't know where I'd be with mine.....LOL

Jewel Big Grin

hippiejewel@yahoo.com

Posts: 2035 | Location: Western Burbs of Chicago | Registered: April 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
What I recommend is:
Loose, comfortable clothing.
Don't rush around trying to see everything the minute you get there - and don't rush to buy from the first person you see. Take your time, size up where everything is, compare prices. Note (notepad and pen handy, or a show guide with a map!) where you see things, so you can remember where to go back to later - the number of times I've seen something, wandered off to compare prices, found it was a bargain, then couldn't remember where it was in the first place... Frown
Bring spare cash, chequebook and cheque guarantee card - not everyone will accept credit cards, and not all venues are close enough to a bank or cashpoint/ATM.
Don't be afriad to haggle, if the answer is a straightforward no, then you've lost nothing - but you might get an even better bargain if you make a close, serious, offer!
Most importantly - ENJOY YOUR SELF! There's no point going if you don't actually enjoy being there!

Au Res.,
Paul

Sometimes, one pack is not enough...
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paulbines

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Wendi
posted Hide Post
Try to bring a friend!! I know it sounds silly but I have been to a lot of celebrity signings solo and it is always a pain to get someone to take your picture, if you have a friend with, they can be the designated photographer =)

Posts: 2211 | Location: IL, USA | Registered: February 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendi:
Try to bring a friend
)

Well that counts me out then. Big Grin

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a sketchbook or wantlist make sure your name and address is on it (or at least an e-mail). I had one sketchbook left at my booth one year. Luckily they had their name and address inside so it made its way back to them after the show was over. You wouldn't believe the amount of stuff that people leave behind and then run around the show trying to think of where they left it at.

Posts: 420 | Location: USA | Registered: October 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also for those who collect autographs and other things.

* Poster Tube that has a sling - For those cast signings on a Movie/TV Show poster. (Invasion and Lost at SDCC for instance)

* Report binder or anything with sheet protectors - To hold those 8x10's, sketches, small lithos, oversized cards or whatever else that you don't want bent, wet, wrinkled, etc...

Posts: 275 | Location: California | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
Being a rookie at this year's SDCC I would say here are the things I learned

Definitely dress comfortably, good shoes are a must, shorts and a loose shirt also. While it was a bit cool when you first entered the hall, by the time you started walking and the place filled with people it got a bit warm.

I had a backpack, but that became a pain everytime I stopped to get something. The shoulderbag option might be the way to go.

Supplies: I had a thin binder filled with 8x10 document holders and 9 pocket pages. I had a pack of top loaders, but never used these and they took-up more space and seemed a waste of time.

Food: Don't waste your time or money buying convention fare. For a few extra bucks you can go right across the street into the Gas Lamp district and have a very nice lunch, most places had lunch specials. The Tin Fish was nice and they even had live entertainment. Remember you're there to have FUN!

Don't be greedy! There are tons of freebies to be had, but do you really need them? Do you really need that poster from XYZ comics, or the postcard from Bloody Films? Remember you will have to carry them around with you all day and after 4 or 5 days all of these things you've accumulated during the show have to be packed and taken home.

Research: I can't stress how important this is. Knowing what you want to do and then sticking to a plan is important, otherwise you may not accomplish anything. Take advantage of exclusive pre-orders, no hassle with standing in long lines when it isn't convienent to you. Know the celebrities who will be attending and if you want their autograph find out if they are signing for free or if they are charging a fee. If you want a person's signature do you have a special item you want signed? Bringing something from home or finding something at the convention will probably be cheaper than purchasing at the booth. A prime example of this was the Diamond booth. Autograph fees were only $5, but the 8x10's were $10.

Do something besides attending the convention. Spending your annual vacation money for 4 or 5 days at the convention is fine, but try to take home some other memories. I managed to take in a baseball game and I'm kicking myself that we never did Sea World or the Zoo (an excuse to go next year Wink).

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tialessa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glim:
* Poster Tube that has a sling - For those cast signings on a Movie/TV Show poster. (Invasion and Lost at SDCC for instance)

Where is that site? I didn't see it at PosterTube dot com (a non-working site). The sling sounds like a GREAT idea!

Posts: 5550 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Superfro
posted Hide Post
I love everyones suggestions! Here are a few additions and other thoughts.

-- If you are going for more than one day and staying at a hotel, bring 2 of your favorite, most comfy pairs of shoes. Even my best shoes make my dogs bark after 8 hours. It's heaven to change into another pair!

-- Bring extra pairs of socks. I swear by the "Twin Sock" method where you put on 2 pairs of thin cotton socks. I've not had a blister yet!

-- I also use *clean* socks to keep a bottle of water in my bag. The sock helps keep it cool a little longer and also keep the condensation from getting anything wet.

-- Another item that works great to hold a bottle of water is the shoe polish cloth often found in hotel rooms.

-- I bring my little Nintendo DS for when I'm standing in line. Another friend brings headphones and an mp3 player, but that seems to isolating to me.

-- Don't be too shy. Start up converstaions with those around you in lines. I've met some great people, learned lots of good info and it makes time go by faster too. Surely you must have *something* in common or you would not be the same line!

-- I cannot agree more with what has been said about convention center food. Avoid it unless absolutely necessary. Granola bars, cereal bars and stuff like that make good, portable snacks. I don't recommend Pop Tarts! There is no reason anyone should have to eat the con food. It's not cheap and is often bland. Try apples, cheese and crackers, meat snacks...anything but the 6$ slices of pizza!

-- Bring gum, and lots of it. And share with others in line. Oh, and a handful of hard candies is often helpful too.

-- For digital cameras, bring the cord to recharge it in the hotel room at night. If you have a laptop with you, upload your pics to it if you need more room on the memory card. And don't forget to upload them to Card Talk for everyone to see!

-- Pack a cardboard "envelope" for original art or other items that should be kept flat. Tubes are great for posters but comic art pages and the lie should probably be kept flat. A smaler poster tube can also fit in a suitcase and are great for the promotional posters that you pick up.

--Invest in a few of the foldable totebags that are so common right now. They can be tucked into your other bags and are perfect for holding action figures and other swag. I often carry a should bag in addition to a backpack. When the shoulder bag get full I set out of the way and tansfer everything to my backpack.

-- Sketchbooks are great and highly recommended but understand that not every artist has the time for free sketches. Some charge a small fee and some require you to leave the book there for them to work on. I suggest one of the smaller sketchbooks (like a half page size), rather than the large ones. An artist might be more inclined to do a quick small sketch for free.

-- I started using post it notes in my book to write down the artists name. Sadly, I have sketches from 1996 and 1997 that I cannot read the name and cannot recall for the life of me their names.

-- Consider requesting "theme" sketches, like of one character or from one show. One year I requested all pirate themed sketches. Several years ago I requested pictures of me, those are some of the most memorable sketches! If you are going to request sketches of a particiular character or person, don't forget to bring a reference picture. They are very helpful.

-- If you are going with a shoulder bag, make sure it's one that can be worn over either shoulder. I know it might sould weird, but I have one that can only be worn correctly over the right shoulder and after 8 hours of lugging goodies around, I was ready to buy a new bag.
Backpacks are good when you are on a 2 person team and you can get into each others packs!

-- Be aware of "your space" and "other peoples space". Be aware of the size of your bags and your belongings and tubes. Crowds are a part of con life but it's never nice to be smacked with a bag or a tube and not even get a "Pardon me"!

-- Make eye contact with people. You might be surprised who is shopping in the vendor area next to you! If you happen to run into a convention "celeb" on the floor, enjoying their free time, be kind. A nice comment or a quick handshake is OK, don't expect a sketch or even an autograph, unless they seem receptive or offer it.

-- Why I even have to mention this I will never understand...try to remember to use deoderant and maybe take an extra shower. Maybe even some cologne or body spray. When you get that many people together at once it can get a little funky. And with all the excitement you might be tempted to skip a shower. Don't. Please.

-- If you are a germaphobe, tuck a little anti bacterial hand cleaner in your bag.

-- And to reiterate what was said before, be patient!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Superfro,

Posts: 337 | Location: Marion, Iowa | Registered: July 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Are you lot going to a card show or the North Pole? Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Wow Eek

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Superfro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfman-golf:

Note to self : Do not pick up extra goodies for wolfie.

Posts: 337 | Location: Marion, Iowa | Registered: July 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Superfro:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfman-golf:

Note to self : Do not pick up extra goodies for wolfie.

Frown Take pity on me for i know not what i do. Big Grin

Picture of Superfro
posted Hide Post
It's actually a little more like Everest. The hubby and I play the role of Mallory & Irving, swooping around, picking up all the goodies, then the rest of you go in like a bunch of Edmund Hilarys!

Sorry. Bad analogy.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
Really appreciate alot of these suggestions...

As a 30-year convention goer, I know alot of these tricks to stretch oneself at the SD con, but I got a few new ideas reading this. THANK YOU!!

Although I think I'm in good shape at 51, I can't go as many hours non-stop dragging heavy stuff, waiting long lines and pushing thru the masses of people everywhere you turn. Eek

If you have never been to the SD Con, BELIEVE ME you have no idea of the VASTNESS and the HOARDS of people. In 3 1/2 days, I still missed out on dealer booths and most all program sessions. (I still came away quite happy regardless...)

San Diego makes all other cons (specializing in comics, cards, toys, etc) look the SIZE of a neighborhood garage sale.

Can't wait til next July ... Wink

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of gilgle
posted Hide Post
Wow guys those are all great ideas. Hopefully I'll be able to use them one of these days. Frown I hopefully will soon.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Originally posted by glim:

quote:

Where is that site? I didn't see it at PosterTube dot com (a non-working site). The sling sounds like a GREAT idea!

Actually I was describing a poster tube that has a strap attached to it, so you can wear it on your shoulder or sling it accross your back. I got one called an Ice Tube if you want to see what I mean. It is convenient because you can have your hands free.

Posts: 275 | Location: California | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post