Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Convention Survival Guide
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convention Survival Guide
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of tialessa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glim:
Actually I was describing a poster tube that has a strap attached to it, so you can wear it on your shoulder or sling it accross your back. I got one called an Ice Tube if you want to see what I mean. It is convenient because you can have your hands free.

Got it - what you have is an Alvin Ice Tube. Found some stores that carry art/architectural supplies & they stock them. Very cool (and less than $15)!

Posts: 5550 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of dlpn1fan
posted Hide Post
What about the hidden bottle of whisky? Not to mention a barf bag when you just barely miss getting that limited item that you so desire Frown

Posts: 751 | Location: Pomona CA | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Superfro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dlpn1fan:
What about the hidden bottle of whisky? Not to mention a barf bag when you just barely miss getting that limited item that you so desire Frown

Very good points! A hip flask would work nicely, and maybe a hidden taser to render those that have gotten the exclusives oblivious when you take the goods and run! Actually, if you are wearing the right costume, you'll already have both of those items on you! Wink

last year I saw some kids with those backpacks that hold water and have a 'straw' near the shoulder. *That* is serious conventioneering!

Posts: 337 | Location: Marion, Iowa | Registered: July 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Wendi
posted Hide Post
Mine would hold beer Big Grin

Posts: 2211 | Location: IL, USA | Registered: February 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Superfro
posted Hide Post
Just thought that some of the new folks heading to San Diego would like to check out this older thread with some fantastic survival tips (some even from myself! *brag*)

Posts: 337 | Location: Marion, Iowa | Registered: July 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paul hart
posted Hide Post
Ice cream is always good and sugar cookies!
Harris you know what i mean!!! lol

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hippiejewel
posted Hide Post
Especially if you're with Harris at the "secret" ice cream place.........LOL

Jewel Big Grin

Posts: 2035 | Location: Western Burbs of Chicago | Registered: April 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
or the secret "Hooters" place! That Harris sure does get around! Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hippiejewel
posted Hide Post
I forgot about Hooters Batman.........Thanks for reminding me......LOL

Jewel Big Grin

Posts: 2035 | Location: Western Burbs of Chicago | Registered: April 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Superfro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kennywood, your advice is *perfect* and it has already set my mind straight, just as I was getting a little panic coarsing thru me over the Thursday schedule.

You're the wise sage of the group aren't you?

posted Hide Post
One of the things I've noticed reciently is you may have to sit through a few panels you don't want to just to get a seat for a popular panel like Heroes.

Posts: 146 | Location: San Diego | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Superfro
posted Hide Post
And actually that is an excellent tip. They don't clear the rooms betwen panels. It's cozy in there and a good place to take a load off. And as people leave you could keep moving forward and getting a beter seat!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Take some painkillers with you. The amount of times I've had a headache come on after wandering around a hall all day.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
Here's my personal Top 10:

1.Remember to eat.

2.Work out where the toilets are early on.

3.Remember your 'Wants' list.

4.Don't buy things you're not interested in just because they're cheap (unless you intend to trade with them or sell them on).

5.Remember to drink plenty of water/tea/coffee.

6.Have a quick look around the stalls, then visit the ones you are most interested in. After that go and visit them all again more closely just to make sure.

7.Talk to the stall holders. They've all got something to say about what they have on sale and you may find that they have a few things that they've kept back for later.

8.Haggle - a bargain is always great.

9.You don't have to spend ALL your money.

10.Have fun!

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
Great list Justm. I especially like nr 9. Big Grin
I don't seem to be able to do that one though.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Superfro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AJJ:
Take some painkillers with you. The amount of times I've had a headache come on after wandering around a hall all day.

I'll second that one! I start my day with a couple of Aleve, just tostave off the aces and pains of being on my feet for so long!

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I just take a break and head to the Gaslamp Quarter for a cold one! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
I just take a break and head to the Gaslamp Quarter for a cold one! Thumb Up
Or six Big Grin Have one for me Thumb Up

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I will, Graham, you will be missed. Hope you can make it next year!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
all the advice given is great for a small show, this is not a SMALL show
If you see something and its a good price buy it, If you don't someone else will,
Its a 5 day show if you count preview night
All normal show rules do not apply, you are in competion with thousands of people it is worth remembering that, all queues are very very long.
You will walk miles and miles and will not see everything or even get the chance too
Its very crowded very hot and tempers get frayed very easily, if its your first time boy oh boy are you in for a surprise, if you from the UK you will have seen nothing to prepare you for what you are going to all that said good luck have fun and I will see you all there
JOHN

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post