Convention Survival Guide

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6236037711/m/1076004263

July 29, 2005, 10:41 AM
tialessa
Convention Survival Guide
quote:
Originally posted by glim:
Actually I was describing a poster tube that has a strap attached to it, so you can wear it on your shoulder or sling it accross your back. I got one called an Ice Tube if you want to see what I mean. It is convenient because you can have your hands free.

Got it - what you have is an Alvin Ice Tube. Found some stores that carry art/architectural supplies & they stock them. Very cool (and less than $15)!

July 29, 2005, 01:21 PM
dlpn1fan
What about the hidden bottle of whisky? Not to mention a barf bag when you just barely miss getting that limited item that you so desire Frown
July 29, 2005, 02:26 PM
Superfro
quote:
Originally posted by dlpn1fan:
What about the hidden bottle of whisky? Not to mention a barf bag when you just barely miss getting that limited item that you so desire Frown

Very good points! A hip flask would work nicely, and maybe a hidden taser to render those that have gotten the exclusives oblivious when you take the goods and run! Actually, if you are wearing the right costume, you'll already have both of those items on you! Wink

last year I saw some kids with those backpacks that hold water and have a 'straw' near the shoulder. *That* is serious conventioneering!

July 29, 2005, 02:35 PM
Wendi
Mine would hold beer Big Grin

July 08, 2008, 02:51 PM
Superfro
Just thought that some of the new folks heading to San Diego would like to check out this older thread with some fantastic survival tips (some even from myself! *brag*)

July 08, 2008, 06:20 PM
paul hart
Ice cream is always good and sugar cookies!
Harris you know what i mean!!! lol
July 08, 2008, 08:48 PM
hippiejewel
Especially if you're with Harris at the "secret" ice cream place.........LOL

Jewel Big Grin

July 08, 2008, 10:08 PM
Batman
or the secret "Hooters" place! That Harris sure does get around! Big Grin

July 09, 2008, 07:50 PM
hippiejewel
I forgot about Hooters Batman.........Thanks for reminding me......LOL

Jewel Big Grin

July 10, 2008, 07:46 PM
Superfro
Thanks Kennywood, your advice is *perfect* and it has already set my mind straight, just as I was getting a little panic coarsing thru me over the Thursday schedule.

You're the wise sage of the group aren't you?

July 11, 2008, 02:40 PM
CardFan
One of the things I've noticed reciently is you may have to sit through a few panels you don't want to just to get a seat for a popular panel like Heroes.
July 11, 2008, 02:52 PM
Superfro
And actually that is an excellent tip. They don't clear the rooms betwen panels. It's cozy in there and a good place to take a load off. And as people leave you could keep moving forward and getting a beter seat!

July 12, 2008, 08:41 AM
AJJ
Take some painkillers with you. The amount of times I've had a headache come on after wandering around a hall all day.

July 12, 2008, 10:43 AM
justm
Here's my personal Top 10:

1.Remember to eat.

2.Work out where the toilets are early on.

3.Remember your 'Wants' list.

4.Don't buy things you're not interested in just because they're cheap (unless you intend to trade with them or sell them on).

5.Remember to drink plenty of water/tea/coffee.

6.Have a quick look around the stalls, then visit the ones you are most interested in. After that go and visit them all again more closely just to make sure.

7.Talk to the stall holders. They've all got something to say about what they have on sale and you may find that they have a few things that they've kept back for later.

8.Haggle - a bargain is always great.

9.You don't have to spend ALL your money.

10.Have fun!

July 12, 2008, 12:00 PM
steve j
Great list Justm. I especially like nr 9. Big Grin
I don't seem to be able to do that one though.
July 12, 2008, 12:45 PM
Superfro
quote:
Originally posted by AJJ:
Take some painkillers with you. The amount of times I've had a headache come on after wandering around a hall all day.

I'll second that one! I start my day with a couple of Aleve, just tostave off the aces and pains of being on my feet for so long!

July 12, 2008, 02:31 PM
Batman
I just take a break and head to the Gaslamp Quarter for a cold one! Thumb Up

July 12, 2008, 03:31 PM
Graham
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
I just take a break and head to the Gaslamp Quarter for a cold one! Thumb Up
Or six Big Grin Have one for me Thumb Up
July 12, 2008, 03:35 PM
Batman
I will, Graham, you will be missed. Hope you can make it next year!

July 12, 2008, 04:56 PM
john the hat
all the advice given is great for a small show, this is not a SMALL show
If you see something and its a good price buy it, If you don't someone else will,
Its a 5 day show if you count preview night
All normal show rules do not apply, you are in competion with thousands of people it is worth remembering that, all queues are very very long.
You will walk miles and miles and will not see everything or even get the chance too
Its very crowded very hot and tempers get frayed very easily, if its your first time boy oh boy are you in for a surprise, if you from the UK you will have seen nothing to prepare you for what you are going to all that said good luck have fun and I will see you all there
JOHN