Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Open That Box! Day 2012 Discussion    What is "Open That Box" day?
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Find
Notify
Tools
What is "Open That Box" day?
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Open That Box is a promotion running in the Apr/May '12 issue of Non-Sport Update. On one day, NSU Card Talk members and collectors from around the globe can come to a special area of Card Talk and all share the experience of opening a box of trading cards (or premium pack), all on the same day. This is the seventh year for the event.

What is Open That Box! day?
Let’s face it -- trading cards were meant to be seen, held, read, discussed, and traded; not kept in a box gathering dust. Open that box! day is Non-Sport Update magazine’s specially created day when collectors open a box of trading cards and share their experience with the non-sport collecting community at large.

What Can I Open
You may open the latest box or premium pack, or that "special" vintage box that you've had lying about and you've been saving for a rainy day.

How Do I Participate?
On April 28, we invite you to open a box of cards or some premium packs. Pull that special box out of the back of your closet or purchase a new box or packs from your favorite retailer. For those of you going to the Philly Show, the show takes place one week before OTB! day so plan ahead and pick-up a box at the show. Open the box and visit Non-Sport Update’s Card Talk web forum to tell the card collecting community what you got. We’ll have a special thread for everyone’s results. Try and make this a more meaningful experience by opening your box/packs with a friend or family member. Tell us about that, as well as why you chose this particular product and why this one means more to you then others. Take a couple of pictures or video and upload them for all to see. And hey, if you get an extra set, use the NSU Card Talk trading forum to trade with other collectors who are doing the same thing today.

What if I Don't Have a Box or Pack to Open?
You can purchase a box or premium pack from your favorite hobby dealer. Or purchase one from one of the dealers in Non-Sport Update magazine or our retailers on NSU Card Talk.

Do I Have to Open a Box to Read the Entries?
No, anyone can read the entries on NSU Card Talk. Of course, it's much more fun if you also open a box or pack yourself!

Some of your comments from Open That Box! day '12 may make it to a future article in NSU so remember what you post in the OTB submission thread is fair game. We hope this day will be fun for all who participate.

Other ways you can participate–
You may also take part in Open That Box! day by e-mailing your comments to us at info@nonsportupdate.com. Or by fax (717-238-3220) or mail (NSU, PO Box 5858, Harrisburg, PA 17110).

We hope to get a lot of new submissions from this (from collectors new to Card Talk and maybe from some of you who haven't posted in a while). Additionally, I hope that all of you "regulars" will help support this as well.

Thanks!

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
Been sitting on my box of Wacky Packages Old School 3. Its getting harder and harder to wait till the 28th!

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Report This Post
Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
that time of year again Smile
I like how it is after the Philly show
- gives me a chance to pick up something there

Posts: 438 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 30, 2010Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
Not sure if I will be taking part in this years OTBD. I was going to get a box of Big Bang Theory but since boxes are well over a $100.00 now I doubt I will buy any.

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
I have a box of Star Wars Galaxy 7 that the kids and I are going to open. I may bust open the Spiderman 3 box I have had sitting around for 2 years. Eek After waiting this long surely there has to be something awesome in there, right? LOL

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
I'm going to do Galaxy 7 as well - I was hoping to do Smallville but they've been pushed back to early May now Frown

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Hmm.. or maybe I'll do Heroes Season 1... or maybe both!

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have two boxes of Big Bang Theory sitting in my closet calling my name. I got excited because I thought OTB Day was this next weekend, but then I realized that I have to wait two weeks Frown

The anticipation is killing me! Eek

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of batmancity
posted Hide Post
I have 2 boxes of Big Bang Theory, 2 boxes of Walking Dead and 1 box of Star Wars Galaxy 7 waiting for me on OTB day. I was lucky to pre-order those a while ago before the insane prices we can see today

Posts: 597 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 24, 2002Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
I have box put aside for the day.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I hope to be getting a box of Galaxy 7 for open that box day

Posts: 757 | Location: london england | Registered: March 28, 2006Report This Post

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I have my Big Bang Theory boxes ready to go! Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Report This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Got a vintage box of Marvel Universe Series 4 that I bought on sale at a local comic book store (Why don't more comic book stores and sports cards stores sell more non-sport cards?). I already have many cards of this series, but not a complete set! Besides a hoping to complete a set, I would like to get the lone hologram from this series, the Spider-Man vs Vemon hologram. Sure, Marvel Universe Series 4 is easy to find at most comic and sports card stores, but try finding series 1-3 or any other superhero cards for that matter!

Posts: 9 | Location: Vista | Registered: April 15, 2012Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Card Dude
posted Hide Post
Hopefully getting a box or two sorted to open in 4 days time Smile

Posts: 1117 | Location: UK | Registered: December 05, 2003Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Big Bang and STNG 2 READY to go - picked them up at the Philly how Smile

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
I picked up two boxes of Dexter and I'm ready shred these puppies.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
Ready.... Set.... almost time to go! 13 Hours 54 minutes.

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Got some of the 258 packs and Blood and Sand to open..

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
In honor of Open That Box! day tomorrow, we are holding a contest on Facebook and giving away 5 Bettie Page MP1 promos with art by Mark McHaley. The cards are beautiful! Here's a link:

Facebook Contest: Win a Bettie Page MP1 promo

The contest is going on now through the end of the day tomorrow (Saturday, April 28), OTB! day.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Nice! That's a great card, NSU comes through again! Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Report This Post