Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Find
Notify
Tools
Submissions - all post here
 Login/Join

Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
As a big dinosaur fan, I opened "Attack of the Dinosaurs" by Dynamic Marketing. This is not to be confused with "ESCAPE of the Dinosaurs" issued by the same company in the 1990s. That was a TERRORific set, one of my favorite modern dino series. So I was pretty excited to see another dino series by the same company, with images on the box that had a very similar style to the earlier series.

Unfortunately, the style was TOO similar, as in, they reused most the art from the first series. ATTACK of the Dinosaurs is a sticker series of 156 or 162 stickers. I say both numbers, because the backs say "Sticker #__ of 156", (fill in the blank with a number) yet below that, it says "Collect all 162 stickers to complete your album." I didn't find any sticker with a number higher than 156, so I'm assuming the lower number is correct.

My box had 100 packets, six stickers each (600 stickers total). Quite honestly, when I saw the nearly all of them were recycled art from the earlier series, I didn't open them all. That's how bummed I became. The regular card series was 60 cards, but to pad out the sticker series, they would zoom in on certain images to squeeze out four cards out of one image (like a puzzle). To make matters worse, the original card series had cool backs with information about the dinos, but the sticker backs are all identical and generic. Maybe the album is cool, but being a difficult Aussy import to find, I don't have it.

There are no special inserts. The wrappers are rather cool, and the few unique images are interesting, but not worth the price of admission. (They seem to be four part images as well, which don't look very good in 9 pocket sleeves.)

I was disappointed in this sticker series, but I'd like to stress that I still think the original card series is way cool and if you like dinosaurs, you need to get it. In a way, doing the sequel sticker set takes away from the uniqueness of the card set somewhat. (They should have done new art!) But hey, it's a product, and most companies don't see these things as art at all-- just a means to make money.

But just because some (if not most) companies get jaded about the cards, doesn't mean the rest of us can't appreciate them as great art. Most actors don't feel any real emotion about the lines they deliver, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't let ourselves get carried away with the better performances. So let's not let this poor knock off of a great series detract from the overall accomplishment of its predecessor. Get the original, before they are extinct!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: monsterwax,

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Report This Post
Picture of Batjay
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone,
I had set aside a box of The Women of Star Trek, Scooby Doo: Mysteries and Monsters, and Firefly for this day. Of course it took buying a bunch of other boxes to keep from opening them.
First I started with The Women of Star Trek.
I pulled the following:
Autographs:
Kate Vernon as Commander Valerie Archer
Tina Lifford as Lee
Nana Visitor as Kira Nerys (VL) Dance
Costumes:
WCC25 Darlene Carr
WCC2 Kate Mulgrew from "Endgame" Clap

It was nice to get some cards from the main characters.

Scooby Doo yieded nothing special. No autos or sketches found. Shake Head My goal is to someday pull a sketch from pack. I shall keep trying.

Firefly helped to fill some of the gaps I had in the foil cards. I also pulled the Morena Baccarin autograph card which will go nicely with the Jewel Staite auto I already have.

After these boxes I decided it couldn't end there, so I opened a box of ST:TOS 40th Anniversary series 2. Nice set of cards.
My autographs were:
Celeste Yarnall as Yeoman Landon
Bob herron as Sam
Win De Lugo as Lt. Timothy

I was hoping for main cast members from this box, but still fun to open.

Hope everyone had fun! Cool

Posts: 34 | Location: United States | Registered: April 08, 2006Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
I busted my box yesterday (on OTBD) and spent the rest of the day getting this together. It's something a little different. Enjoy, if you dare.

OTBD Break

If you don't want to spend a couple of minutes watching a cheesy video, I broke a box of Rocky IV (Topps, 1985) and got a couple of sets and extras.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
Very well done Ryan loved it Thumb Up

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Report This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Congrats to all, really enjoyed reading about all your finds, some did better than others but as long as you enjoyed yourselves thats what this day is all about. Smile Clap

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:

If you don't want to spend a couple of minutes watching a cheesy video, I broke a box of Rocky IV (Topps, 1985) and got a couple of sets and extras.

Very cool Ryan. Now I see why this is such a hoot! I'm really enjoying what people are posting.

Posts: 806 | Location: san diego | Registered: December 01, 2007Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
I busted my box yesterday (on OTBD) and spent the rest of the day getting this together. It's something a little different. Enjoy, if you dare.

OTBD Break

This is REALLY good, Ryan. You should do these more often.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:

This is REALLY good, Ryan. You should do these more often.

Thanks, Harris (and JtH and NL)! It might be a while for another one, though. Although there was something of a learning curve, it still took about 10 hours. One has to question if it's worth it. Plus, the gimmick of a sliding box can get stale really fast. I'm sure I'll think of something one day.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
Saturdays are just manic with me and I didn't really get a chance to open a box properly - I did though open my 2 razor boxes and got the following: -
Box of Family Guy - Episode iv a new hope
A-6 Firefly - Sean Maher auto
A-2 Lost Revelations - Neil Hopkins
A-5 Lost Revelations - Andrea Gabriel
Xena & Hercules - Tsiamina Jtelson

Box of Lost Season 3
A-5 Lost Revelations - Katey Sagal
A-18 The 4400 season 1 - Kauan Smith
A-JA Sopranos - Jerry Adler
A63 Farscape - Chris Haywood

Not too bad I thought - I do have an interest in Lost and as a Star Wars fan - the Family Guy spoof was always on my radar, but never got around to buying it, so I am pleased.

There are no expensive autos here, but nice to receive a couple of rittenhouse autos and the Katey Sagal auto is particularly nice. Luv You

Sorry I didn't get chance to open a proper box, I guess opening a Razor box is like cheating. Twak

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
It was fun reading about everyone's OTB breaks.
Ryan - That was very cool. I'd love to see you do something else when the inspiration strikes (and the time allows).
I hope I'll be able to participate in next year's OTB day.
Thanks everyone!

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john the hat:
Very well done Ryan loved it Thumb Up

Me too - great presentation too.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Report This Post

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have opened 1 box of Pepsi aroud the world cards.

I had 2 complete base sets and a lot of lose cards
There where also 2 foil cards in that box: F2 and F6

Posts: 7 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: April 04, 2008Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I opened a box of Shock Stories/Urban Legends #25/1000 - got this at the Baltimore Show a few weeks back, thanks Laura! Smile

This is my first Monsterwax box, and it was a blast opening! Took me back to opening packs of Dinosaurs Attack as a kid. Doesn't hurt I'm a sucker for gimmicky 3-D images in the classic red and blue style, too!

When all was said and done, out of the 36 packs I got:

1 complete set of each (Shock Stories and Urban Legends, 51 cards per)
1 complete Background Card set
36 of the 51 3-D card set (no dupes!)
1 sketch card - Terry Beatty A-1: "Alone with the Bones"
1 Prize Card - $25 monsterwax.com gift certificate! Smile
1 Free Pass to the Terror of Tallahassee Haunted House Big Grin

It wasn't easy holding onto this box for weeks, but it was well worth the wait! I'll definitely be buying more from Monsterwax, and now I've got an extra $25 to put towards it. Thumb Up

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ted Dastick Jr.,

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Report This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a great box to open Ted, i love those sort of cards.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Master
posted Hide Post
sorry Im late I opened the following...pics to follow:

Star Wars Galaxy 5
Etched Foil 1, 3, 4, & 6
Silver Foils 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, & 15
Bronze Foil 5
Gold Foil 8
Lost Galaxy 1
Darth Vader Sketch by Mark Walters

Women of Star Trek
Leading Ladies LL5 Kira
Romantic Relationships RR6 Sisko & Yates
Women of Star Trek ArtiFex Kira, Uhura, & Jadzia
Autographs
Claire Rankin as Alice
Lee Meriwether as Losira
Hallie Todd as Lal
Costume
WCC2 Janeway
WCC25 E'Tyshra

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Master,

http://twitter.com/MasterFreeza

Posts: 1233 | Location: Renegade City | Registered: April 04, 2006Report This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For Cordeliachase_fan,

I got WCC2, Kathryn Janeway from Endgame, and WCC25, Darlene Carr as E'tyshra from "Armageddon Game".

For autographs, I got Nana Visitor, Antoinette Bower, and Tina Lifford.(from DS9 Past Tense)

Posts: 4 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 10, 2010Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
That sounds like a great box to open Ted, i love those sort of cards.

It surely was! And I added a couple pics to that post... Smile

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlotte:
I have opened 1 box of Pepsi aroud the world cards.

I had 2 complete base sets and a lot of lose cards
There where also 2 foil cards in that box: F2 and F6

First off, welcome to Card Talk Charlotte!
It looks like a tradition (of sorts) is being started up with pen That Box Day - I opened up a box of Pepsi Around The World for last year's event!
Au Res.,
Paul (nothing this year as I didn't have either a box or the funds - sorry!)

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
quote:

OTBD Break

Great work putting that together. It was entertaining. Thumb Up

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
Old posts. Confused

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Report This Post