Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Find
Notify
Tools
Open That Box! 2009
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted
So I opened my box- it wasn't the box I was planning to open, but my local stores were sold out of and couldn't get more boxes in of Star Trek: Movies in Motion, so I went with a different box. (And you're asking, why not get one shipped- just having moved, money was tight for a bit, so I couldn't afford to have something sent....)

Anyway, I decided to get a box of Batman Archives- I found a local dealer who had boxes for a good price and decided to try my luck- I mean after all, there were some great sketch artists in the set and who can go wrong with Batgirl, Batwoman, Huntress, Catwoman, and surprisingly a few Black Canary cards that snuck in?

How'd I do?

Batman Archives- Box # 4315:

One Base Set
13 cards short of a second (If I counted correctly)

BG3, 5, 8

L7

DV3, DV9

and a very nice sketch of a very 40's looking Batman by Jorge Correa, Jr.

All in all, not a bad box considering what a DC fan I am. It is the very first Batman sketch I ever pulled myself. Opened the box alone, since it is late around these parts, but hey- I love ripping into a box of cards- you'll never know what the next pack will give you. Big Grin

Glad to be a part of the festivities four years and running!

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Only 2 more hours to go over here. I may not have any fingernails left come midnight!!

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Awfully quiet around here tonight so I decided to open my box while everyone else sleeps...

I chose another box of Complete Babylon 5 by Rittenhouse from 2002. An old favorite that I still need a couple key cards to complete my collection.

The base cards have a slight problem sticking together, but none seemed to be damaged when pulled apart. I have lots of these base sets, so I didn't sort them out at all. I'll pack up the base cards and take them to Chicago where Paul takes base card donations for his charity project.

So the breakdown looked like this:

LOTS of base cards (40 packs of 9 cards will do that)
6 of the Classic Confrontations chase set: 1,3,5,7,9,9
6 of the Movie Triptych chase set: 4,7,9,10,11,12
4 of the Women in Motion chase set: 4,5,6,7
1 Legend of the Rangers box topper L8
1 Costume Card: Citizen G'Kar C2
1 Autograph A8: Mary Kay Adams as Na'toth
1 Autograph A9: Robin Curtis as Ambassador Kalika

Overall a fun open, even if I didn't find any of the cards I'm needing for the set.

Who knows, maybe I'll find something else around here to open before the end of the day...

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Silverback
posted Hide Post
It's late at night and everyone is asleep at my house, but I'm not opening cards alone- Thanks to OTB Day. I like Red Sonja so I kept a box for OTB Day. A few days back I bought a box of Marvel masterpieces Set 2 at a sports card shop for a real nice price for OTB Day.

On to the breakdown of my boxes.

35 Years of Red Sonja by Dynamic Forces

2 base sets
Holofoil cards- 1 thru 9 of 9, an extra #3
Puzzle cards- 5
3 autos

2 good sketches

Really nice cards and a really great box!

Marvel Masterpieces set 2 By Upper Deck

2 base sets
Heroines- MH1, MH2 (2)MH4. MH6, MH7, Mh8, MH9
Avengers- A1, (2) A2, A5, A6, (2) A7, A8
Hulk A
Iron Man A
Box topper- D. Strange
FF 4 0f 5

Really like this sketch

Good Luck to everyone ripping open boxes and packs today! Thumb Up

Smokin'

Posts: 6113 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 30, 2005Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
I went for a box of James Bond in Motion. I've never bought a box of James Bond cards before but I think the inserts and autographs are generally pretty good and I got this at a pretty good price just for fun. Here's what I got:

Box #5060 of 9000
1 Base Set plus 10 dupes
3 Bond Girls Are Forever: (1:8) BG49, BG64, BG70
2 Bond Villains (1:9): F54, F57
2 Bond Allies (1:12): BA27, BA34
8 James Bond Lenticular Cards (1:4): set of JB1-6 plus two dupes
2 Costume Relic Cards (1:12): TC02 (#0203/1300), TC03 (#1188/1200)
2 Autographs (1:12): Isaach De Bankolé Full Bleed (Limited), David Calder Full Bleed (Limited)

You can't really tell in the picture, but there's a little dirt or something on Bond's pants in the TC03 card.

I don't know if any of these cards are particularly valuable, but they're very nicely done and I had fun opening the box. I may pick up another at work in the morning and do another when I get off!

-Bob-

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Well, here we go!

My first box this morning is Smallville Season Five (in honor of Inkworks) Over all I am pretty satisfied with this box:

2 complete base sets
Triangles TR.1, TR.7, TR.8 & TR.9
Price of Life PL.3 & PL.6
Vengeance From Krypton (box loader) BL.1
Autograph A40 Alisen Down ( Smile I needed this card)
Pieceworks PW2 ( Frown Sigh, can't even count how many times I pulled this card)

I've still got boxes of Heroes Vol. 2 & James Bond Archives to do, so I will be back!

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of batmancity
posted Hide Post
hi everybody !

it's finally OTB day !! I think this is my 4th participation now and each year it's really a delight to open boxes ! This year, I've decided to do something a little bit different with old releases. I couln't get my hands in time for a box of James Bond Archives for my wife and I was desperate to see the Lost Season 4 series from Inkworks but as we all know bad news happened along the way.

So, this year was also a little bit different in terms of timing. This saturday is a very busy day for us and we're gonna be out all day so we've decided to open up our boxes just when we woke up at 8 am Paris Time (please be kind as we are still in our dreams and not quite awake !)

We had a box of Mr Bean from Dart (My wife loves Rowan Atkinson) and I had a box of Wolverine Series II from Comic Images (just to celebrate the release of the new movie late this month)

All in all, the breakdown was really a lot of fun with base sets and a couple of prismatic/lenticular cards (not pictured here)

Here are the pics !! Happy OTB Day for everyone !!

Posts: 597 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 24, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Okay, on to the Heroes Vol. 2 box:

1 complete base set
8 of 10 foils (missing #6 & 7)
Daniel Cooney Sketch of Claire
Jimmy Jean-Louis Auto

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
And now for my final box (which happened to be the best of the three!)

James Bond Archives:

1 complete base set
Quotable Quantum of Solace #Q7 & Q14
Dangerous Liaisons #DL12 & DL15
Complete James Bond Expansion #192 & 194
QoS Expansion Bond Allies #BA34
QoS Expansion #68

Autograph Cards
Roger Moore Clap
Caterina Murino

Relic/Costume Cards
QC02
QC06

Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
For my first ever participation on OTB I opened a box of Mortal Kombay (Skybox 1995) based on the movie. I've never seen the movie, I've never played the games upon which is was based; I got the box for £1 at the Memorabilia show last year and thought at the time that it would be a perfect candidae for OTB day!

So to the breakdown:
2 base sets, plus one missing one card (#69)
2 of the three gold foil cards (I'm missing W1) - stated odds on the packs were 1:18, so I got what I should have got
4 of the Red Foil cards (i.e. a full set) - stated odds were 1:9 so, again, I got what I expected
spare base cards: 13

So, I'm one card short of a master!
I liked opening this - it was back to the Old School; only two levels of chase (and why don't sets have this sort of embossed foil any more; they are really effective and rather nicely done. Skybox used to do these things rather well and it's a bit of a shame that they seem to have been abandoned)
The images on the base cards were a little fuzz in places - I'm not entirely sure I'd go to see the movie based on the images, and (perhaps a little unusually) nowhere in the set are the actors names mentioned, just the characters. I had to go to IMDb to find out that the character who loooked a bit like Christopher Lambert was, in fact, Christopher Lambert!

I do have another box I'll be opening later...
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Opened the final box from my case of James Bond Archives.

Bond Villians F67 - Simon Kassianides as Yusef in QoS
Quantum of Solace Q10, Q11
Dangerous Liaisons DL12, DL17
?? OO68
Puzzle cards 193, 195

Costume QC01, QC04
Autos (full bleed) Paul Brooke, Crispin Bonham-Carter.

Posts: 3252 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Report This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
Happy OTBDay everyone!

It took me approximately six hours to finish opening my box. I fell asleep about 3/4 of the way through. Having awakened to the scent of newly unpacked cards, I proceeded to tear into my box of Bernie Wrightson: Master of the Macabre from FPG (1993). I'm a big monster art fan from way back, so not having this set was a big ommission.
I was able to make two base sets and at least one Frankenstein sub set (Haven't had time to see if there's another to be made, but I don't think so.) I also received two of the same Hologram cards (H1 - Staked Vampire).
All in all a terrific base set of awesome Wrightson art. My favorite, one of my alll time favorites in fact, is the Frankenstein 45 card subset.
Incredible black and white detailed work.

I have a Wrightson Series Two "More Macabre" box
waitiing to be opened, but I don't know that I'll have time to get to it today.
I sure hope so.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
I opened a box of Marvel Masterpieces 3. It's been a little while since I opened any boxes, so this was a good reason to buy one.
Here's the results:

1 - base set (with lots of extras)
Marvel Knights - MK1 thru MK9 (full set)
X-Men Secret Identities - XM2 and XM5
Marvel Moments - MM5
Writer Autograph cards - 0
Sketch Card - Kingpin by Carlo Soriano

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cverdec
posted Hide Post
Well, we made it to OTBD!!! After weeks of having cards stare at us (like the money we could be saving with Geiko Big Grin ), we finally get to crack some boxes!!

Sheri's Cards

Chris' Cards

We'll post what we get later on.

Happy OTBD!!!! Bouncey Bouncey Bouncey

Chris

Posts: 920 | Location: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: August 21, 2002Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cverdec
posted Hide Post
Miss Lizzy-
Congrats on pulling a Roger Moore Auto!! That's AWESOME!!! Thumb Up

Chris

Posts: 920 | Location: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: August 21, 2002Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
This year I decided to open a box of Battlestar Galactica Season 3.

So after getting back from the bookies (Grand National this afternoon), I opened my box:

Box # 3089

Significant 7: SS1,SS2,SS3
Love in war: L8,L9
Costume: CC39 Red Dress
Film Clip: F3 Karl Agathon
Autos: Susan Hogan (Michael Hogan's wife) as Captain Franks and..

Katee Sackhoff as Kara "Starbuck" Thrace. Clap

No Shelter card.

Great box to open and 96 more RA points.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Report This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
So, I wake up and go get gas for my wife's car, she has to drive to Starkville for a PhD class today and have forgotten about OTB! Ouch! John Alex wakes up and asks if I am ready for OTB day!
So, I get out the box of Upper Deck Marvel Masterpieces 2 I have been saving.
It was box 12008. We got
2 base sets
Heroines- MH1, MH3,MH4,MH5, MH6, MH7, MH8, MH9
Avengers- A1,A3,A4 A5,A6,A7,A8,A9
Both Hulk and Iron Man "A "cards
Box topper of Spiderman and SpiderWoman
A bit of disappoint for John Alex when he pulled our 27th Doom Cloak Fantastic four pieceworks! I was right! I have been picking these cards up in trades because no one really want them. I have 24 from the UD Fantastic Four movie and now 3 from MM2! Lots of fun for me and I knew we would not get anyone else!
Finally the sketch. I will try to scan this in later. My son is a HULK nut and we got a full color head shot of Hulk by Brian Sheaner! VERY NICE!
Hope everyone has a great OTB day and congrats to Miss Lizzy for pulling the best box of the day so far!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: barobehere,

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I just finished opening a box of Buffy Men of Sunnydale. I was hoping to have the new Breygent boxes available for today, but that was apparently not meant to be.

Anyway, my box yielded the following:

Boxtopper - BL-1
Dressed to Kill - DK1, DK3, DK4
Women Men Adore - WA1, WA5
Pieceworks - PW3 (Giles' shirt)
Autograph - A1 (Nicholas Brendon)

Nice to pull the Brendon autograph, as it is the big one in this release. However, I already have one of it, so it will be put up for trade, as will the Pieceworks card.

Nice to relive the Buffy show on a somewhat limited level. Thanks to NSU for putting OTB Day on each year !

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cverdec
posted Hide Post
Well, Sheri is off running some errands and getting a massage. She has it so tough. Roll Eyes I figure I had to open 1 box without her. I picked one of my Galacitca Boxes.

Battlestar Galactica - Season 3 #4975/6000
  • Base Set(s): 1
  • Significant 7: SS2, SS3, SS4
  • Love in War: L8, L9
  • Film Clips: F1
  • Shelter Posters: none
  • Auto Cards: Tiffany Lyndall-Knight as Hybrid & Michelle Forbes as Admiral Helena Cain Big Grin
  • Costume Card: DC5 (Baltar & Six) Dance

1 limited Auto & a limited Dual Costume !! Clap Let's hope my luck holds for the rest of the day!!Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cverdec,

Chris
  •  
    Titanium Card Talk Member
    Picture of wolfie
    posted Hide Post
    I just opened a box in the garage and there was a big spider in it. Eek Big Grin

Glad to see you are all getting better results than me with your boxes. Wavey

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Report This Post