Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Twilight Zone - Archives 2020 Edition (Rittenhouse Archives, 2020)

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4026073384/m/9657038396

July 06, 2020, 02:07 PM
Don Norton
Twilight Zone - Archives 2020 Edition (Rittenhouse Archives, 2020)
This magically appeared in my mail today, so let's see what was in box 4589 of 6500!

1 set of 64 base cards (49 extras)
3 Juan Ortiz parallels, with Gold foil signature, numbered to 150
2 Stars of the Twilight Zone (1:12)
1 Twilight Zone Portrait (1:24)
2 autographs
Antoinette Bower as Eve with inscription "November 29, 1963"
Double autograph, Mary Badham as Sport and Tim Stafford/Jeffrey Byron as Jeb from the Witching Pool (Scarce)

Thoughts about this set:
I still love the Ortiz art and he does a great take of these shows. I liked my autographs, the 2 kids from the Witching Pool were favorites of mine, and Antoinette Bower is a well known actress from the time. Would still like to see more inserts in boxes, there were 6 in my box, but with 49 extra cards, it wouldn't hurt to get a couple more. Still, a beautiful set, well done.
July 06, 2020, 03:26 PM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
This magically appeared in my mail today, so let's see what was in box 4589 of 6500!

1 set of 64 base cards (49 extras)
3 Juan Ortiz parallels, with Gold foil signature, numbered to 150
2 Stars of the Twilight Zone (1:12)
1 Twilight Zone Portrait (1:24)
2 autographs
Antoinette Bower as Eve with inscription "November 29, 1963"
Double autograph, Mary Badham as Sport and Tim Stafford/Jeffrey Byron as Jeb from the Witching Pool (Scarce)

Thoughts about this set:
I still love the Ortiz art and he does a great take of these shows. I liked my a

utographs, the 2 kids from the Witching Pool were favorites of mine, and Antoinette Bower is a well known actress from the time. Would still like to see more inserts in boxes, there were 6 in my box, but with 49 extra cards, it wouldn't hurt to get a couple more. Still, a beautiful set, well done.

I'm still with you Don - with a small base set they could have added a couple of extra inserts
July 08, 2020, 11:29 PM
barobehere
Love that duel auto. As a kid this episode freaked me out.

I have a feeling I will feel the same way when my 2 boxes of Umbrella Academy hit at the end of the month that I would have wanted a few more inserts.
July 09, 2020, 04:15 PM
Greg Geerts
Got my 2 boxes Tuesday and finally getting around to going through them...

I was able to make 3 64 card base sets with 31 extras
6 Juan Ortiz parallels
4 Stars Cards -- 57, 60, 66, 72
2 Portrait Cards -- 10, 13
1 Portfolio Prints Character Art Card -- 12
4 Autographs --
A-175 -- Gregory Irvin
AI-24 -- Jacqueline Scott Inscription - "HUGS"
AI-27 -- Orson Bean Inscription - Hi!
AI-31 -- Denise Alexander Inscription - Hi Judy & Denise

Another very nice set. I do agree with Don that there could
be more of the inserts in the box...

July 09, 2020, 04:23 PM
cardaddict
I know this is the wrong place to post this, but I have many, many extra base sets from the 90s on up, any of which I would trade for a base set of the new Twilight Zone cards, if anyone is interested.
July 09, 2020, 07:50 PM
Batman
Typical of Rittenhouse, I don’t feel that I get value for my money from their products. They need to step it up as far as what collectors get from boxes or cases, I have suspected for a long time that they know exactly where the big hits are going which are the dealers who buy the majority of their products. I have had great pulls over the years from Cryptozoic, Topps, Upper Deck and others, but I can’t remember pulling anything “big” from Rittenhouse. I realize this may a bit controversial, but I think it is worth discussing.

July 09, 2020, 08:20 PM
cardaddict
Mister Batman, Sir, that is one of the main reasons I quit collecting.
July 10, 2020, 08:18 AM
Wilber Gray
I've been a fan of the Twilight Zone card series since the start, but for this 2020 release, it's the first time I didn't buy a box or two. I love the Juan Ortiz episode cards and wanted the final 64 - but that's really all I wanted. I'm not going to chase the parallel set ( which seems just redundant to me) and the other bonus cards are lacking. Maybe with 3 or 4 autographs it would be worth it. So for 5 bucks (plus shipping), I got what I wanted. Would I love a cut Rod Serling? Of course, but I've always ended up a little disappointed with my auto pulls. Batman and cradaddict - you guys opened my eyes to something I never thought about. How's that for being naive !!!
July 10, 2020, 09:09 AM
ravenheart
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Typical of Rittenhouse, I don’t feel that I get value for my money from their products. They need to step it up as far as what collectors get from boxes or cases, I have suspected for a long time that they know exactly where the big hits are going which are the dealers who buy the majority of their products. I have had great pulls over the years from Cryptozoic, Topps, Upper Deck and others, but I can’t remember pulling anything “big” from Rittenhouse. I realize this may a bit controversial, but I think it is worth discussing.

I've had massive pulls from Rittenhouse products... but I'll caveat that by saying that I haven't bought a box of anything from anyone for 10 years, because none of them put value in the boxes anymore. There's a thread extensively discussing this topic elsewhere on the board, I believe.
July 10, 2020, 09:51 AM
Raven
Off topic, but I have never, ever gotten a big hit out of a Star Wars box. I can barely recall ever pulling any decent hit. I won't say that TOPPS is purposely not giving them to me, but I sure ain't getting them. As a result, I haven't bought any Star Wars sealed products in the last 6 years. I don't know if my luck has changed, but I'm not about to try and find out. Wink

When you sour on something because of your own personal experience, it's a valid enough reason for you.

This 2020 Twilight Zone should have had more inserts and/or more base cards and at least 3 autographs per box, 4 would have done it. The inscriptions alone will not create more value for me. While they are nice as a novelty, I wouldn't pay any more for a common inscription card than I would for the same signer's clean autograph card. You must pull a big star to even consider it worth a premium. Due to its age, TZ is short on big stars.

I have always bought into a few boxes of Twilight Zone, but I have not done so with this edition thus far and may not do it this time around, only because I already have what I am most likely to get blind.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,
July 10, 2020, 12:53 PM
Logan
There used to be 4 autographs per box in Series 3, 4, and 5. And the SRP per box was lower. Now for Series 6 and 7 the box/case price is higher and you only get 2 autographs per box. Needless to say you're getting much less value per box now. And I realize costs have gone up over the years, but there are also fewer collectors now compared to then. And they (we) need some incentive. The answer can't always be to raise prices while giving less value, especially with an ever-shrinking collector base.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Logan,
July 10, 2020, 12:57 PM
cardaddict
I love THE TWILIGHT ZONE TV series, have ever since I was a kid. I believe I have almost every card in Rittenhouse's first 5 offerings (missing the 'S' card and one inscription I no longer even look for and possibly a cut signature), and so am very grateful to RA for putting out the sets I did collect.

I MAY buy a card or two from the current set once in a while just for fun, but I'll never, ever complete it. So far I have one promo card, so that's a start!
July 21, 2020, 09:43 AM
Andrew Nolan
Box 6316 of 6500
1 set of 64 base cards (48 extras)
3 Juan Ortiz parallels, with Gold foil signature, J13, J88 and J108
2 Stars of the Twilight Zone (1:12) Murray Hamilton and Joyce Van Patten
1 Twilight Zone Portrait (1:24) Theodore Bikel
2 autographs A-173 Derrik Lewis and AI-37 Sherry Jackson "I'm Sorry Jeff"

Box 4685 of 6500
1 set of 64 base cards (48 extras)
3 Juan Ortiz parallels, with Gold foil signature, J47, J78 and J124
2 Stars of the Twilight Zone (1:12) James Gregory and Pamela Austin
1 Twilight Zone Portrait (1:24) Mariette Hartley
2 autographs AI-13 Dana Dillaway as "Maggie" One for the Angels
Double autograph, DA-4, Derrik Lewis and Anthony Call

I usually buy a case for any Twilight Zone release but limited my purchase to just two boxes for this release.
The primary reason was the comparison of the 2020 release (2 autographs limited to 6,500 boxes) to the 2009 release (4 autographs limited to 4,000 boxes). Rittenhouse adding the 18-case incentive was another. This provides a few of the big sellers to control a majority of the product. I like the gold foil signature cards but do not need a copy of each. I also do not have to have eight different AI versions of the same autograph.

I really enjoyed all the Twilight Zone releases and this release is no exception. Well done yet again Rittenhouse! Unfortunately, the industry has changed and that has influenced my buying habits. I doubt I will be buying sealed cases or boxes in the future. If a card is interesting, I will simply buy the individual card.
July 31, 2020, 01:04 PM
cardaddict
Got my TWILIGHT ZONE base set from a member here!
Thanks for the many extras!