Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Vertigo (Skybox)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vertigo (Skybox)
 Login/Join

Picture of QBall
posted
Second box of these and what a good one it was.

Base sets: 1 complete set

Foil Embossed: I, VI (din't have either of these, just need one more for the set)

Skydisc: SD4 Smile

Posts: 365 | Location: Up North, England | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One box, to supplement the results of years of card-trading.

Boxes hold 36 packs of 6 tall/wide cards. Expect 2.38 base sets of 90 if collation were perfect.

Base cards: 1 complete set of 90, short 1 from 2nd set
Foil-enhanced cards (6, 1:18 packs): V VI
Death Skydisc (1, 1:180 packs): SD4 (me too!) Wink

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
I loved this set and Sandman - of course the Silver Bordered promo cards were a pain to complete Smile Now I will go look at them again to remind myself why

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Another box. It's neat how the extra length of wide(tall)vision cards adds life to artwork.

Base sets (90): 1 complete set of 90, 8 short of 2nd set, 41 threes, 0 fours
Foil-enhanced cards (6, 1:18 packs): III-IV
Death Skydisc (1, 1:180 packs): SD4 (another one!)

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
I like this set a lot.

Jeff
I've picked up a couple of cheap boxes in the
past six months, but I've found that many of the cards stick together, often causing loss to the image when seperated. Have you had any problems with that?

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Not with the two boxes I opened. (That's probably one of the most useful features to mention in a box breakdown, now that you bring it up.) The cards are of the vintage where you see a rash of UV-coating-sticking if cases have been stored too long in uncooled warehouses, though.

Looking back, I see that my boxes came from the same dealer at different times.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Many Skybox sets of the mid 90's had problems with the UV coating (too much of it or perhaps or an improper mixture) that causes them to stick together especially when pressed tightly together (as opposed to temperature extremes). These were some of the first nonsports cards with UV coating on both sides and that is a big reason why they can stick together.

(One dealer told me cards affected in this way could be better separated if placed in a refrigerator or freezer for a time, but this could cause condensation once they come back to room temperature, so be careful if using this method.)

I have noted this "sticky" problem not only on the "DC Vertigo" cards but also "Marvel Silver Age" and "X-Men Ultra 1996: Wolverine", and mind you, my own supplies of these cards were always kept in moderate temperatures, yet still exhibited this phenomenon. If you have sealed packs of the above cards, do not stack any weight on top of them as it could exacerbate the problem. Also if you have sets or singles of these cards, make sure they are not too tightly packed in boxes.

As far "DC VERTIGO" box breakdowns, I opened quite a few of them and virtually always made about 2 base sets from each box and there were always 2 gallery insert cards, like clockwork, exactly as reported in Jeff's breakdown above.

As far as the ultra-cool Death Skymotion cards (with listed odds of only 1 per every 5 boxes), they seemed to come out a little more often than that, again as the above posts would indicate.

Finally, a "DC Vertigo 2" was actually announced and even schedules but quickly cancelled when the first series failed to sell as well as the earlier "Sandman" set had. DC Comics trading cards in general never were as popular as the Marvel sets. A shame there has been no followup cards featuring Vertigo characters since the original set considering a newer release could contain such standout creations as PREACHER, Y THE LAST MAN, FABLES, and many more. And in this day in age, sketch cards featuring those characters would be fantastic!

Posts: 3325 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post