Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Iron Man 3 (Upper Deck, 2013)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iron Man 3 (Upper Deck, 2013)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted
On the long drive I unexpectedly found these at a Wally World...

10 retail packs
5 cards per pack
Pulled 41/60 base cards (#60 was highest number)
0 chase Frown

Chase:
Base set foil parallel 1:18
Sketch cards 1:14400
Comic Creator autos 1:14400
Actor autos 1:14400
No odds given for mem/relic cards.

Overall tentative grade D+/C-
Pros: wrapper
Cons: fewer cards per pack, chase odds Eek
Hope the hobby version is more friendly.

Pic below...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Retail is out and I didn't even hear about the hobby release. UD seems to be very low key about this one, don't know what direction its following now that the Boss is gone.

Posts: 10398 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Here you go...wrapper, sample base fronts and back, enjoy.

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It didn't scan very well but here's an example of the base set foil parallel
compared to a regular base card:

Posts: 1358 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Saw these at toys r us this weekend as well. Didn't buy any though because of the stated odds and never having much luck with UD Retail packs since they restarted their Marvel cards

Raven, if you're on Ed's email list they were solicited late last year and also through Previews a couple months ago too.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Hobby boxes are out...

Definitely 60 card base set.
24 packs, 5 cards per pack.
4 commons...and 1 parallel?
Guaranteed two hits per box.
Autos are 1:2 boxes.
Sketches and armor cards also available.
Only $90 a box...enjoy!!!

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cruddie Torian

This message has been edited. Last edited by: silmapco,

Posts: 2604 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hit 1 extra sketch and a printing plate. I havent had a chance to scan wardrobe cards yet but here are the sketches and autos.

Jed Thomas, Tansa?, A Morales
Mike Locoduck Duron, Unknown?

Unknown?, JAY
James Riot, Mel Uran

John Favreau FA,Len Kaminske Auto, David Michelinie
John Favreau JF, Yellow Printing plate #30

Posts: 18 | Location: ny | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Three Hobby boxes for me. I would've liked a few more, but there are a lot of other sets I'm interested in coming soon, so I had to pull back a bit. I didn't want to miss these entirely. I think they will sell out pretty quick, despite not having the stellar autograph lineup of the Avengers card set.

Each box had a base set, and the doubles from the first three boxes formed another base set with only 2 singles left over, so I get the sense these are collated so that over the run, every 2 boxes with make 3 base sets with very few doubles. It does seem like there aren't any "double prints" this time like there were with Iron Man 2 base cards. As for the 1 per pack parallel, they just have a bunch of extra foil lines on the surface, not too impressive, really, but not bad. I got 20 different in two of the boxes with no overlap, and then 19 from the 3rd box which just about entirely overlapped with 20 of them pulled from one of the other boxes, so it also seems likely that over the run, every three boxes are collated to make one "Palladium Poisoned" parallel sets, and there would be exactly four sets in a 12 box hobby case. If what I suspect is true, this set is very well collated. For me, at least it was, with 4 base sets made from 3 boxes with only 30 dupes left over and 2/3 of the parallel set with just about enough to trade for the rest, perhaps.

As far as non-"Hit" insert sets, it looks like there's only one in the hobby boxes, and it's the Hall of Armor clear cards which come one per box. Beautifully designed, and from a set of at least 14 different, based on the highest number I received, this will be one tough set to complete! Since the hobby cases are 12 boxes, you wouldn't even be able to finish this lone "regular" chase set even with the purchase of an entire case, unless they are occasionally found 2 per box. It could be that they are, since it seems likely Upper Deck would want to reward full case buyers with a full set of them.

As for the "hits", I received none of the autograph cards that I'm always hoping for, but what I did get wasn't too shabby, as included was an extra hit (a sketch) in one of the boxes.

Shown below are the hits divided into the box they were pulled from, with the clear cards also shown.

The costume cards look sharp and include lots of characters, very like the extensive set found in the Avengers set. Clearly, the sketch cards will include a lot of different characters. Unless, I was very lucky, it seems many will be in color. I like mine, especially the one of the Scarlet Witch, who is a definite candidate to join my sketch "Hall of Beauties".

All in all, a nice set. Expensive, but a lot of fun to open with a hit in every 8th pack, unless you get an extra one like I did, and then it's one in every 6th pack in boxes with four.

Posts: 3325 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
A note on the parallel sets (yes, sets)

Hobby has Paladium Poisoned parallels

Retail has Tech Foil parallels. 2 per box, gonna be a tough set to put together.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Apparently, the single costume card of Rebecca Hall as Maya Hansen is a hot ticket. I saw one sell for $150, so I put mine on for $110 not really expecting to get it, but it sold in a matter of minutes, so good luck finding that one in your boxes, those who haven't opened them or gotten them yet, but intend to.

I don't want to know, actually, but I do wonder if this character is going to become Madame Masque, a famous female villain from the Iron Man series. The only other thing I can remember seeing Rebecca Hall in was "Vicky Christina Barcelona", the Woody Allen movie.

Posts: 3325 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
When 'heard' that retail chase was different and thought that 1/pack, I ordered some retail boxes but... only 2/box and they look identical to the hobby to me. What a waste of money on retail box as kind of stuck with unopened retail now.
Interesting that one of the Hobby boxes I opened had no sketch/auto/memorabilia, but every pack had a HOA chase. Anyone hear about 'hot' box? Don't think I'll complain about it though.

Posts: 332 | Location: NJ | Registered: November 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xtime:
Hobby boxes are out...

Definitely 60 card base set.
24 packs, 5 cards per pack.
4 commons...and 1 parallel?
Guaranteed two hits per box.
Autos are 1:2 boxes.
Sketches and armor cards also available.
Only $90 a box...enjoy!!!

ONLY $90 a box . . .

Big Grin

Posts: 10398 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stuff_guy:
Interesting that one of the Hobby boxes I opened had no sketch/auto/memorabilia, but every pack had a HOA chase. Anyone hear about 'hot' box? Don't think I'll complain about it though.

You got 24 HoA cards in one box? That is awesome! They are beautiful first of all, plus they're worth, like, $10 each, and some of those could be short prints, so they could well be worth more. Did you make a full set of them?

Congrats on that "hot"(?) box, but sorry for the retail. It is bogus that they're the same as the Hobby parallels. For those who want some of these cards cheap, wait a bit for the retail, as those will be coming way down in price, given the long odds on the big hits and the undistinguishable parallels.

Finally, I do think you are still entitled to your "hits" from that box, despite the HoA bounty in it. Call Upper Deck and give them the serial number printed inside the box and what Upper Deck official retailer you bought it from, and they should take care of you.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I also hit on a "hot box" it had a Heroic Threads card in every pack. It was fun to get many of the costumes in one shot, but unfortunately there was at least 8 duplicates so I only got 16 different.No other inserts in the box but I'm not complaining. Smile

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These "hot" boxes are unusual. I'm wondering if the print run was a little lower than they'd intended, so they just loaded some of the boxes toward the end with certain kinds of cards they had left over. I wonder if there's an autograph or sketch hot box out there. That'd be pretty amazing.

Anyway, congrats on the big stack 'o costumes, Batman, those extra 8 are excellent trade/sale items, for sure. Were there some Trios and Quads in the mix? Did you get any of the solo Maya Hansen/Rebecca Hall cards mentioned earlier?

posted Hide Post
Congrats Batman. Nice box.
Didn't get full set of HOA in that hot box. Missing 2; but didn't sort until adding some from other boxes, so might of missed a couple more.

Posts: 332 | Location: NJ | Registered: November 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi there, 4 Hobby Box Break!

Please! I need some help with those artist's names!

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 1 | Location: Germany | Registered: April 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking the "AJT" card in the upper left corner of your picture is by Anthony J Tan.

Not sure of the others, but someone else should be along shortly to help you with those.

Nice cards, the sketches in this set are pretty much as good as the ones from the Iron Man 2 set which is high praise, although all of these seem to be in color which is great.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
I also hit on a "hot box" it had a Heroic Threads card in every pack. It was fun to get many of the costumes in one shot, but unfortunately there was at least 8 duplicates so I only got 16 different.No other inserts in the box but I'm not complaining. Smile

Well Boo-hoo Roll Eyes

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post