Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Trading Card Collection (Cult Stuff, 2013)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Trading Card Collection (Cult Stuff, 2013)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
I received three packets yesterday marked A, B and C.

Additionally I also got 5 promo cards and an early Order Magno card.

The promos were:_
The Art of Burlesque BP1
The Art of Burlesque BP2
Dracula P1
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes P1
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes P2
(incidentally the two sherlock cards both have boxed A, B and C lettering on them which could mean that different versions may exist. None of mine were marked in any way.
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Early Order Magno Card

Packet A revealed the following
Base cards 1-9
Puzzle card 7
SC2 sketch by Dave Sharpe

Packet B revealed the following
Base cards 10-18
Puzzle Card 5
Strand Original S1 with a piece of the Strand magazine in a cut out box (in this case a small picture).

Packet C revealed exactly the same cards as Packet B except the the Strand original card featured a different piece of the magazine stuck to the card (no cut out and it was a piece of text).

I don't know how many base cards make up a set so I am not too sure if Packet C is a good or bad?

I have since heard from Jason who said a new Packet C is on its way and this contains base cards 19-27 and that human error was probably responsible for the duplicate 10-18 base cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JOHN LEVITT,

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue Horseshoe
posted Hide Post
John,

Your should have received base cards 19 - 27 in you pack C.

If you want to send me an email and I will sort you out with the missing base cards.

Dave.

Posts: 280 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Got my 3 packs (A, B & C) this week.

Extras
They had to open a case to fulfil retail order and I got the case card (D 17 of 20). Thank you, Liza.

Early order magno card with art by Patrick Hamill
Promo : Art of Burlesque BP1, BP2
Promo : Beyond Stoker's Dracula P1
Promo : Adventures of Sherlock Holmes P2
Promo : Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes P1

In packs
Base cards 1-27
Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes promos(?) 3, 5, 8
Base card 20 from Sherlock Holmes and Victorian Crime

Strand magazine cut-outs
S1

S1 - This one is sandwiched between 2 cards.

Sketch

Jesse Hughes

???
This looks like base card 3 with SH etched into it (bottom left)

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue Horseshoe
posted Hide Post
The cards with SH on them are the parallel cards. You get about 5 - 6 per case.

Dave.

Posts: 280 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:

???
This looks like base card 3 with SH etched into it (bottom left)

I was confused by this at first, also. I did the artwork for this card pictured and was flattered when I saw a different parallel card on E-Bay with my artwork. It had the "SH" stamp as well. I thought it was nice of Cult-Stuff to put my initials (Scott Houseman) so predominantly on the front of the insert! Big Grin Then I figured out that some guy named Sherlock Holmes had the same initials... Smile

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Thanks for letting us know about the parallel cards. They're a bust as far as I'm concerned.
I, too, at first thought they were Scott's initials etched into the card because he did art used on the card.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Received my A, B & C packs today.
The promos included were:
Early order magno card with art by Patrick Hamill
Promo : Art of Burlesque BP1, BP2
Promo : Beyond Stoker's Dracula P1
Promo : Adventures of Sherlock Holmes P2
Promo : Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes P1

The packs yielded the 27 card base set,
Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes Preview puzzle cards 2,6,7,9
and these Premuim inserts:

2 Canvas autograph cards by Clive Merrison and
a Victorian Era Farthing coin dated 1898

Greg

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What exactly is the early order magno card ? What is it numbered ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have also heard that the card #20 comes only 2 per case

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Zero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:

Similar to the Josh Werner Dracula early order magno card but features art by Patrick Hamill. You had to place an order by a certain date to get it. It isn't numbered. Cult Stuff also ran a 'competition' to win a unique card for the first Adventures... order after having some problems with the paypal button. This was extended to the first few orders but it has yet to make an appearance.

quote:
I have also heard that the card #20 comes only 2 per case

It is card #20 for the first Sherlock Holmes set - Sherlock Holmes and Victorian Crime. Similarly card #19 was included in packs of Monsters Zombies and Freaks (although that was an MZF base card so much easier to get) and it was also in every 2nd edition pack. All twenty cards feature art by Robert Hack. (Except for the two Sidney Padget cards of course.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Zero,

Posts: 191 | Location: Cheshire, UK | Registered: January 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here's a scan for you David. Like other Cult-Stuff magnetic cards, the back is blank.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys ! I am working on a master set right now (minus the sketches and parallels) and wasn't aware of the early order card. I see a bunch of the Draculas on ebay which seem to be easy to get, but no luck on the Sherlock one. Does anyone know where I can find one ?

I also see that they did an exclusive Sherlock card for Tom Breyer's store-- a T1 limited to 25. I just picked one up !

Picture of Ribeyespud
posted Hide Post

This is for any fan of Sherlock Homes or historical literature in general. Cult-Stuff in my opinion derserves some serious Kudos for honoring each story from the 1st collected short storys of the great detective. I bought 6 packs and each pack costs $25.00. I made sure to get 2 packs each of packs labeled A,B, and C. All three packs are needed for a full set of 27 cards in the base set. Eack pack has 9 base cards and some kind of special insert card. This is what really makes the set stand out since some of the artifact cards are rare items from the victorian age which is when Sherlock would have lived. If you are really lucky you may receive a piece of "An original Strand Magazine" in which Sherlock Homes stories appeared. I was hoping for a picture of Holmes from the magazine as drawn by Sidney Paget. Boy did I receive some great inserts! 1st of all I receive three Strand magazine cards all really cool. A die cut box which has text from ""The Boscome Valley Mystery", a piece of the front cover of the Strand numbered 21/25, and the stunning fold out picture cut out from one of Sherlock's most famous tales "The Speckeled Band" of Sherlock wrestling with a Blacksmith. I also receive the best sketch card I have ever pulled of Dr Watson by Patrick Hamill, a victorian 3p yellow stamp, and an autograph by Clive Merrison, the only actor to ever act as Sherlock in all the Holmes stories written by Doyle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ribeyespud,

Posts: 177 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ribeyespud
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ribeyespud:

This is for any fan of Sherlock Homes or historical literature in general. Cult-Stuff in my opinion derserves some serious Kudos for honoring each story from the 1st collected short storys of the great detective. I bought 6 packs and each pack costs $25.00. I made sure to get 2 packs each of packs labeled A,B, and C. All three packs are needed for a full set of 27 cards in the base set. Eack pack has 9 base cards and some kind of special insert card. This is what really makes the set stand out since some of the artifact cards are rare items from the victorian age which is when Sherlock would have lived. If you are really lucky you may receive a piece of "An original Strand Magazine" in which Sherlock Homes stories appeared. I was hoping for a picture of Holmes from the magazine as drawn by Sidney Paget. Boy did I receive some great inserts! 1st of all I receive three Strand magazine cards all really cool. A die cut box which has text from ""The Boscome Valley Mystery", a piece of the front cover of the Strand numbered 21/25, and the stunning fold out picture cut out from one of Sherlock's most famous tales "The Speckeled Band" of Sherlock wrestling with a Blacksmith. I also receive the best sketch card I have ever pulled of Dr Watson by Patrick Hamill, a victorian 3p yellow stamp, and an autograph by Clive Merrison, the only actor to ever act as Sherlock in all the Holmes stories written by Doyle.

Just listened to The Adventures of Sherlock Homes and the Speckled Band and discovered what I thought was a picture Of Sherlock Holmes from the Strand is a Picture of the Main Villain from the story, it along with the other two Strand pieces are framed and hang on the wall of my Man cave. I also listened to a long clip of Clive Merrisen as Sherlock Holmes from "A Study in Scarlet" and now I want to find more audio of him, perfect casting

Posts: 177 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I picked up 2 more sets of the A,B&C packs and got some more great cards!

2 - 27 card base sets of course.
Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes Preview puzzle cards 1,2,3,5,7,8,9
"SH" etched parallel cards #11 & #12

Great sketches by Laura Inglis and Carolyn Edwards,
Clive Merrison Canvas auto card, Victorian Era postage stamp
and 2 Strand Originals cards. 1 cut out with a piece of the
cover that is hand numbered 1/25. And the other one is a
fold out with a drawing from the magazine that is captioned
"They Found The Body."

Greg

Picture of Ribeyespud
posted Hide Post
Greg, great cards! I love this set and the strand cards you pulled!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I picked up 2 more sets of the A,B&C packs at the Chicago show this past weekend
and here's what I got!

2 - 27 card base sets of course.
Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes Preview puzzle cards 2,3,4,5,9,9
"SH" etched parallel cards #1, #3 & #4

Clive Merrison Canvas auto card
Victorian Era one penny postage stamp
Victorian Era 3 pence coin dated 1898
3 Strand Originals cards. 1 of which is a cut out
of the front page and on the back is hand lettered
"Front Page" and hand numbered 2/12.

Picture of Ribeyespud
posted Hide Post
Greg, through this set I learned of Clive Merrison's Sherlock Holmes. He is perfect! Youtube it, I think you will like it.I just bought the complete radio collection it totally rocks!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ribeye...I'll have to check it out!

Picture of Ribeyespud
posted Hide Post
I am looking for a #2 promo puzzle piece from the aventures of sherlock holmes set. Does anyone happen to have a spare?