Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Wacky Packages Chrome (Topps, 2014)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wacky Packages Chrome (Topps, 2014)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted
Wacky Packages Chrome box/pack break:

Yesterday I happened upon some of the new Topps Wacky Packages Crome series. I picked up 4 “packs” from a gravity feed & 1 blaster box (containing 7 packs + 4 bonus cards). Each pack contains 4 chrome cards. Each pack was $2.99. Before I get on with what I pulled (nothing noteworthy), I wanted to talk a bit about the set and also about the packaging.

The packs I pulled out of the gravity feed were not foil packs, but were cellophane with a window in the front so you could clearly see the first card. Each pack had a hole punched up top so you could hang it on a peg. The packs from the blaster box were the standard foil you’d expect. The 4 bonus cards (X-fractors) from the blaster box were sealed in their own wrapper. (See scan below)

I’m not sure how I feel about the cellophane single packs with the window. On one hand, if that card in the window is one you need, that’s good! On the other hand, you get a good view of what’s in the pack. The odds on the both foil & single cellophane packs are identical:

Refractors 1:2
Superfractor (sequentially #’d) 1:3,415
Printing Plate 1:852
Artist Autograph 1:314
Redemption card 1:7,470
Buy Back card 1:5,025
Sketch card 1:195
Mixed-Up Character (short print) 1:1,500
Alternate Art (short print) 1:1,500
Wacky Ads 1:3
Cutting Room Floor 1:4
Lost Wackys 1:6
Where Are They Now? 1:8

I’m not sure what to think about the cellophane single pack concept. It seems fraught with peril.

The Ad cards are a clever insert coming in slightly smaller than the standard card at 3.5 x 2.1. My only issue with the Ad cards is one card just featured some older Wacky stickers on a black background. That isn’t an “advertisement”. I hope they didn’t include a lot of those. Would be a shame if they made those just to pad out the sub-set. (See scan below)

The other chase cards are nice, but took a bit to find due to the all-white backs. I don’t mind the white backs because they reflect the original product, I just wish the “Lost Wackys” shared the same back with the others that have the middle text. (See scans below)

Also of note, the blaster box does not say that the 4+ bonus cards are X-Fractors. (It was a nice surprise, as I loved the X-Fractor bonus cards in the WalMart exclusive blaster boxes for Garbage Pail Kids Chrome series.) This box does not have any markings indicating it is exclusive to any store. (See scan below)

All told, I got:

27 chrome base cards
8 refractors
4 X-Fractors
1 Where Are They Now?
2 Cutting Room Floor
1 Lost Wacky
5 Wacky Ads

NO duplicates. (Color me impressed.)

I like this series, but for some reason, I’m not as drawn to it as the Garbage Pail Kids Chrome set. (I spent way too much $$$ on that.) I’m very happy with what I pulled. I’m just not very eager to complete the set.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
And on that note, I just received an email from Topps announcing Garbage Pail Kids Chrome series 2.

Here we go again.... Smile

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info/scans, mintoncard. I came on NSU Card Talk tonight to see if there was any mention of blaster boxes for this set (I just found the packs in my local Target today)...so I'll be on the look out for those. I may buy a pack beforehand to see if I like it. I liked that you could see the first card in the pack.

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
There is a retail version with three sealed packs tightly packed in a larger wrapper with the hole to be hung on a peg, like a blister pack, but thick cellophane as opposed to hard clear plastic.

Those also come with four bonus cards (loose behind the packs), but those were just normal cards, so not nearly as good as the four X-Fractors that come with each blaster box. They were only 11.49 plus tax for the 3 packs (plus essentially one more opened pack of cards since there are 4 cards per pack), but obviously, you'd want to go with the $20 blaster with the 7 sealed packs and 4 X-Fractors if you have a choice between the two.

What I like about both the blister pack with the 3 packs and the blaster box with the 7 packs is that the packs are seemingly impossible to pack-search, even in the blisters since they are packed so tightly.

The odds on both the blister packs and blaster boxes seem to be the same. I actually bought a hobby box with has blue and gold base refractors numbered to 50 and 25 respectively and there are the 107 base superfractors which are all one of ones. Just those three parallels I think are the only hobby exclusives with all of the other stuff available at about the same odds in both hobby and retail, but I'll post the odds from my hobby box shortly to more accurately compare.

It is a big set of 107 with lots of insert sets, so it'll take several hobby boxes (or a whole lot of blasters) to make a set.

I'll post exactly what I got in my hobby box along with the pack odds on in the next day or two to maybe help people decide which way to buy these if they are mulling it over.

Hobby boxes are about $65 or so for a 24 pack box, and those parallels are pretty nice, but those X-Fractors from $20 blasters will likely be a very collectible set, since they do look sharp, but even more because it would take 27 blasters worth of them (with no duplicates!) to finist just one set of 107.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
I did the whole "refractor", "atomic refractor" and "X-Fractor" thing with the Garbage Pail Kids Chrome series. They're fun for the Wacky Packages, but GPK burned me out on 'em.

(There are "atomic refractors" for this Wacky Chrome series (I have 8 of them), I just can't remember where they originated from.)

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Picked up 3 hobby packs on return from FL.

4 cards per pack.
8 of 107 base cards, no dupes
1 Cutting Room floor 7/20
2 Refractors
1 Wacky Ad

...and... Cool

...drum roll... Razz

...wait for it... Roll Eyes

...tension building... Mad

1 REDEMPTION CARD 1:7470 Eek
Good for an uncut sheet of base cards...
a complete WP Chrome base set.

Old Proverb fits well...
Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. LOL Wave

Posts: 4230 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
WOW!! That is an AMAZING pull.
Congratulations!

You must have just cashed in your good "card karma" that you've saved up. Smile

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xtime:
Picked up 3 hobby packs on return from FL.

1 REDEMPTION CARD 1:7470 Eek
Good for an uncut sheet of base cards...
a complete WP Chrome base set.

Old Proverb fits well...
Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. LOL Wave

Congrats!! That is a spectacular pull.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Much thanks. Metal

It was quite a shock/surprise.
At first I thought it was a sketch or auto redemption card till I read the fine print.

I will have it at the Chicago show.
Come take a gander... Drool

Posts: 4230 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post