Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Cryptids (Viceroy Card Co, 2012)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cryptids (Viceroy Card Co, 2012)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted
Here is the latest indie sketch set. This one is from Viceroy Card Company and is titled "Cryptids." As has been the norm for a number of recent indie sets, the packaging is outstanding. My five packs of "Cryptids" arrived in their own little box that are about the size of a deck of playing cards only narrower. The box is sealed by a holographic sticker and the back of the box lists all 34 artists who contributed to the set along with the names of the five Cryptozoologists who signed autographs for this set.

Each box contains one of the following:
Sketch Card
Autograph Card
Postcard

The sketch cards are slabbed in a nice thick holder with the sketch on the front and the company logo on the back with a slot for the artist to sign their name.

The autograph cards have the name and photo of the cryptozoologist, along with a place for the autograph on the front. The back of the card gives a long write-up about the person and is numbered from 1-100.

The postcards look like your average postcard from any worldwide location, in this case it's the Himalayas. On each of the backs you get the same two paragraph write-up, however each card contains an authentic stamp from Bhutan in the upper right hand corner. These stamps depict various mythological creatures on which this set is based. These are also number from 1-35, so I would guess there come be 35 different stamps to collect.

Another very nice indie set. So without further ado here are the pulls from my five packs.

Box

Sketch by Michael Munshaw, Lyle Blackburn auto 49/100, Stamp 6/35

Sketch by Tim Proctor, Ken Gerhard auto 29/100, Stamp 16/35

Sketch by James Bukauskas, Nick Redfern auto 80/100, Stamp 23/35

Sketch by Joshua Werner, Loren Colemen auto 43/100, Stamp 12/35

Sketch by J. Linares, Craig Woolheater auto 37/100, Stamp 1/35

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your sets here. I ordered one pack of these and am really looking forward to receiving it!

All of your sketches look great! Not a bad one in the bunch. Thumb Up The auto cards look interesting too, and I love the look of the postcard. Hope my pack shows up tomorrow. Smile

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Purchased two sets, pretty cool and reasonably priced! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Received my single pack yesterday and pulled the following:

Lyle Blackburn auto card, 93/100.
Himalayas 'postcard', 4/35.
Sketch card by Autumn Frederickson.

Card fronts

Card backs

I really like auto cards - the information on the back is interesting and fun to read about. Love the vintage-look 'postcard' card with the real vintage stamp applied on back. Thumb Up As for the sketch; I'm not what you'd call a 'unicorns and rainbows' type of gal (lol) but this card is VERY nicely done! The inking is clean and imparts a real sense of movement in the main subject. It's kind of hard to tell from the scan since I left the card in its holder, but there is a lot of subtle use of color pencil in both subjects and the background that makes this card quite beautiful to look at. Smile

Kudos to Viceroy Card Co. for coming up with something totally different for the collector that is:
1. Not the same old same old.
2. Obviously enforcing sketch card quality control. I haven't seen one yet, either in this thread or on their site, that I wouldn't be happy to own.

Very much looking forward to their next release!

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HERE IS MY PULLS FROM 1 PACK

Posts: 22 | Location: AMERICA | Registered: February 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Zero
posted Hide Post
Its taken a while but my Cryptids cards arrived today. Got hit with a customs charge too which didn't help so was hoping for a decent break. Have to say overall I was pretty pleased. Obviously the Kezele was a great pull. I thought i'd bought the best Babinski but i think this one is even better and the Josh Werner cards are all great so very pleased to get such a good one. I'd also picked up cards by the remaining two artist and I probably prefer those cards to these but, as I said, overall very happy.

Pack 045 - Joshua Werner (25) Owlman

Pack 109 - Mikey Babinski (20) Maltese Tiger

Pack 218 - Gary Zezele (9) Nessie (Polaroid)

Pack 324 - Autumn Frederickson (25) Mermaid

Pack 453 - Juan Fontanez (15) Loch Ness Monster

Posts: 191 | Location: Cheshire, UK | Registered: January 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Very nice pulls - that Kezele is wonderful!

I must search online for a Nessie. I really want a Nessie! Bouncey