Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Houdini: The World's First Superhero (Frank Eachus Publishing, 2012)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Houdini: The World's First Superhero (Frank Eachus Publishing, 2012)
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
Received my order today and had to bust a box to see what Frank had come up with.

Nice set overall with original art, period posters, and a few cards of contemporary magicians.

Box is a sturdy, but plain white, box. Packs are cello packs with a space for hanging on a pegboard. 24 packs to a box. My box had:

2x 45 Card Base Set
1 P1 Promo
1 P2 Promo
1 Sketch Card by Freddy Lopez Jr
1 Autograph Card SP1 Jeffrey Blood, Houdini's Grand Nephew

Scanned some of the base set for those that are curious. I like the art cards that have artist information on the back, that's class.

Fun set, worth a look. There is more to Harry Houdini than I knew about. Learned something with this set.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5081 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting set -- I spoke with Frank about it at your show, then again online -- spectacular subject matter. . .

Unfortunately their website leaves a lot to be desired. . .

The product page for Houdini lists two different products -- a set that includes all autograph cards, and a preview set that doesn't directly mention including autographs, but looks like it may. . .

The point is, it sounds like you opened a wax box, which I don't see listed on the site at all.

Also, the site has a sketch artist roster listed, and there are sketches in the set as shown by Ed, but it isn't mentioned on the product page of the site if they are included in either the preview set (I know at your show they were randomly inserted in some sets), or the 'box set.'

The autograph list isn't published on the product page either, but I did see some information in the blog, it looks like:

Autographs from:
Norman Bigelow
Thomas Blacke
Dick Brookz
Jeffrey Blood

Are included in the 45 card set.

And I think I recall from the show that autographs from Dorothy Dietrich (and perhaps someone else) are included (or perhaps randomly inserted) in the preview set.

Anyway -- back to the point -- did you open a wax box?

Jon

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Jon,

Not exactly a wax box. More like a box with 24 cello packs in them. The cello packs are made to hang on a peg and they are sealed like a team bag on the bottom.

So, word to the wise, know who you're buying from as the packs can be searched by unscrupulous people.

You have the complete autograph list.

And yes the Dorthy Dietrich auto was a random insert in the Preview Sets.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5081 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a complete checklist for this product? I'd like to add it to Beckett's database. Thanks!

Posts: 275 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Here are the cards that I know about:

18 card Preview Set with sketch cards inserted 1 in 12 packs,

3 Promo Cards (P1, P2, Unnumbered)

Cover Card signed by Frank Eachus

54 Card Base set

Autograph Cards:

Norman Bigelow
Thomas Blacke
Jeffrey Blood
Dick Brookz
Dorothy Dietrich

These Sketch Cards artists were authorized (I have only seen cards by some of them):

Primo Cardinalli
Doug Dearth
Rusty Gilligan
Dan Gorman
Laura Inglis
Freddy Lopez Jr.
Drake Sanchez
Mario Sanchez

Posts: 901 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I believe that Frank Eachus passed away suddenly in late 2015 or early 2016.

He may have had some unreleased cards and promos which never saw the light of day

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post