Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Solo: A Star Wars Story (Topps, 2018)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Topps, 2018)
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Picked up a blaster box at Target today.
Each box holds 61 cards

50 Base cards and parallels (11 parallels were duplicates of basecards)

Chase:
3 Silhouettes
2 Smooth Sayings
2 Vehicles
2 Icons
1 Sticker
1 Patch Cards Hans Solo Patch

Thoughts: There is not much new here, I do like some of the chase, Smooth Sayings and Icons. Please don't do any more Silhouette cards Topps. "Hey Wow! Look! It's a little black shadow of Lando, always wondered how he'd look if we could just see his outline and no details!"
The base cards have minimal text, I still feel they could include some kind of details or something about the character cards. The patch card looks like it has a printed image, does anyone really like these things?

Wish I had a little more enthusiasm for this one. Hopefully the next set will have some interesting details and storyline.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Nice cards Don. The chase cards whilst not high end are I suppose value for money? Your commentary on the silhouette cards was very amusing. Big Grin
Are the patches lose or attached to a literal card (like a costume card)?

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they are a "value", but some of them are very nice. The patch is mounted on a card. The patch reminds me of the printed cloth cards that were included in Journey to the Force Awakens. I think an embroidered patch of a symbol or logo as they have done in the past would be better.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Blaster box at Target
(Applied a coupon from the Denny's pack)

10 packs, 6 cards each
1 sticker 1:12
1 icon 1:8
2 vehicle 1:4
2 smooth sayings 1:6
4 silhouette 1:3
1 pink 74/99 1:88 Big Grin
3 green 1:3
5 silver 1:4
10 yellow 1:1
31/100 base
1 patch - Lando

I'm with Don...not much to write home about. Another SW product with too...Too...TOO many parallels. Appears little creativity was put into this release.

Overall D+/D
Pros: box and wrapper, colorful patch card
Cons: parallels, chase design, sticker odds, inadequate text, etc.

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Stick with the blasters if you must. I got talked into opening a hobby box and this is such a lazy effort. Its a 100 card base set with 24 yellow, 9 gray, 6 green and 1 orange parallel in my box. Looks to be 5 insert sets also.

Two hits guaranteed, but one will be the manufactured patch, which is not especially well made even by the standards of a manufactured patch. I got MP-R2M Millennium Falcon.

The other hit might be sketch or autograph. I got an auto, which I like, but its from Anna Francolini as Imperial Border Guard. Probably not a main role. Big Grin

But I could hardly tell by the card backs, which have virtually no text except character names, some not even that.

And the "Smooth Sayings Cards" insert go as follows for my 4:
Just trust us.
Kessel Crew (not even a saying)
I got this.
We're doing this my way.

Snappy dialogue there, hate to hear the non-smooth parts. Wink

D- indeed. I haven't bought a Star Wars box in 2 years and I should have stayed away from this one. Big Grin

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post