Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Star Wars Galaxy 4 (Topps 2009)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Galaxy 4 (Topps 2009)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted
As promised here are the results from my 2 cases. I added the number of sets as well as the lower tier inserts cards.

First, let me say that the base set is absolutely stunning. Topps has done an excellent job in continuing what was the proud tradition of the Star Wars Galaxy line.

The various inserts are attractive and my only beef is that the autograph cards aren't all that attractive. I wish they would have done something extra special for them, but at least they aren't nasty stickers. Big Grin

18 Base sets

2 Lost Galaxy sets, with 7 extras

3 Yoda cards

8 Etched Foil sets, with 10 extras

7 Silver Foil sets, with 23 extras

16 Bronze Foil cards, 5 short of a set

8 Gold Foil cards

1 plate

4 helmets

5 autographs

16 sketch cards

The autographs are from Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner, Linda Medley, Paul Lee, and Zina Saunders.

The rabbit is by Katope, the face is by Lamour Supreme, the Windu is by Artbot 138, and I can't makeout the signature for the last helmet.

The Obi-Won by Kohse is very nice as is the Emperor by Corroney. Lucked out and pulled a Babbitt for the second set in a row(had a great looking Silken Floss from The Spirit). I like Jason Hughes Solo, it's simple but bold. The Glasheen Vader is solid. Hey folks checkout that Woodall color Tusken Raider! Princess Leia by Hughes is simple, but attractive. Mike Duron's card is solid. The Budd Palpitine speaks for itself.

This last group is a mixed bag, but I'm extremely pleased with the Catina scene by David Rabbitte.

Again, as I stated on the other thread, based on the nearly $20 price increase per box I expected alot more. You can be the judge if it's worth it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Arvin Sloane,

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
Are the backs of the auto cards different or are they signed base cards?

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
I love the Babbitt you pulled!

Nice autos too. I hope the back has something different as well.
Your Zina Saunders is a classic!

From what I have seen, there is even an autographed Floating Yoda ("p3") card out there. That would be a nice pull.

Not sure about the printing plate. Different, but I would rather have a sketch!

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The autograph cards are pretty tough to catch. The backs are different sort of. They usually have a picture of the artist as well as info about them and thier career highlights. But with there being so many different backs to the base cards they are hard to pick out for sure. I am through two cases...the first one was great (1 plate, 1 yoda, 4 golds, 3 autos, 1 shaped sketch and 8 sketches three of which were full color) but the second was pretty awful. I will post scans and stuff but not for a while.

and yes, there is an autographed Floating Yoda.

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Some update on the chase cards would be quite helpful, since the actual sets seems to be different from the somewhat sketchy info initially available. In particular, for the 15 card foil art set, are there two or three versions? On that auction site, I have seen advertised regular cards, bronze cards and gold cards, but in some of the scans the bronze and gold look the same.

Posts: 2 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I dont have the exact odds in front of me

Silver Fall about 8 per box
Bronze is 1 per box
Gold is about 1:2 boxes
and then there is actually a Platinum 1/1 as well.

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
My first case

Howard Shum and Spencer Binkerkoff

Lance Sawyer and ? Guzman

Jon Morris and Josh Fharger

Peter Pachoumis and Justin Chung

(GJ ?) Gaspar and Jason Atomic

I also pulled 5 golds, 2 autos and a lost Yoda.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here were the hits from a box I picked up:

John Soukup sketch card (right part of 2-panel image)

You can't tell from the scan, but Han Solo in the background was done with some kind of metallic ink. The sketch is painted and is pretty cool!

If anyone comes across the Jabba half, LET ME KNOW!! >

Also pulled a buyback autograph from Zohar Lazar

Cool picture, but his signature leaves something to be desired. Roll Eyes

And these were the other "tougher" inserts (Gold Luke is #/500)

And for the heck of it, I picked up the Millenium Falcon Series One gift set that includes one auto'ed card, mine was from Mike Mignola!

What's cooler was I was wearing a Tusken Raider t-shirt when I opened these. Must've been fate. Big Grin

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eng621
posted Hide Post
Opened my first (of two) boxes:
1 Base set with 32 extras
8 Silver, 1 Bronze & 1 Gold foil
4 Etched foil
1 Lost Galaxy (#3)
1 Sketch & 1 Stormtrooper Die cut sketch
[/IMG].com/albums/tt329/trk181/s2.jpg[/IMG]
1 Jeffery Jones Auto

Box 2 yielded:
8 silver, 1 Bronze & 1 Gold Foil
4 Etched foil
1 Lost galaxy (#5)
1 Sketch card
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: eng621,

Posts: 113 | Location: Yorkville,IL., USA | Registered: April 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Pretty nice box to have both sketches, a gold foil and an auto.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wowsa artwork for the base-card junkies! Hobby boxes are 24 packs of 7 cards, 8 boxes per case. Math predicts 11,000 boxes or 1375 cases. Expect approximately 1.26 base sets of 120 per box if collation were perfect. Originally it was posted that there would be 1 regular or die-cut sketch per box, but the final distribution seems to include 1 regular and the die-cuts are counted separately.

All of the autographs I've seen were done on the fronts of base cards from the "New Visions 2" subset of SW Galaxy Series 2 base cards (#205-275), but they have the SW Galaxy Series 4 logo on the card backs.

Here's my first two boxes. It's a pretty nice selection!

BOX 1

Base Cards (120): 1 complete set, 31 extras
Foil Art Cards by Russell Walks (15, 1:8 packs): 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 (of 15)
.. bronze parallels (15, 1:24 packs): 3 of 15
.. gold parallels (15, 1:47 packs, # to 500): 15 of 15
.. refractor parallels (15, 1:17,664 packs): none
Etched Foil Cards by Joe Corroney (6, 1:6 packs): 1 2 4 5 (of 6)
.. original artwork (1/1, 1:44,000 packs, 6): none
Lost Galaxy Cards (5, 1:24 packs): 3
.. Yoda's World (1, 1:277 packs, # to 999): yes, 348/999
.. signed Yoda's World (1:2789 packs): none
Sketch Cards (at least 91 artists, 1:24 packs): Jeff Carlisle
.. shaped sketch cards (at least 41 artists, 1:191 packs): none
Galaxy Autograph Cards (at least 39, 1:95 packs): none
Base Card Printing Plates (1/1, 1:576 packs, 480): none

BOX 2

Base Cards (120): 1 complete set, 32 extras
Foil Art Cards by Russell Walks (15, 1:8 packs): 1 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 (of 15)
.. bronze parallels (15, 1:24 packs): 6 of 15
.. gold parallels (15, 1:47 packs, # to 500): none
.. refractor parallels (15, 1:17,664 packs): none
Etched Foil Cards by Joe Corroney (6, 1:6 packs): 1 2 4 5 (of 6)
.. original artwork (1/1, 1:44,000 packs, 6): none
Lost Galaxy Cards (5, 1:24 packs): 1
.. Yoda's World (1, 1:277 packs, # to 999): none
.. signed Yoda's World (1:2789 packs): none
Sketch Cards (at least 91 artists, 1:24 packs): Paul Gutierrez
.. shaped sketch cards (at least 41 artists, 1:191 packs): none
Galaxy Autograph Cards (at least 39, 1:95 packs): Zohar Lazar (Series 2, card 242)
Base Card Printing Plates (1/1, 1:576 packs, 480): none

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:
The various inserts are attractive and my only beef is that the autograph cards aren't all that attractive. I wish they would have done something extra special for them, but at least they aren't nasty stickers. Big Grin

Again, as I stated on the other thread, based on the nearly $20 price increase per box I expected alot more. You can be the judge if it's worth it.

Well my local shop had only one box today and I didn't want to go in for the whole thing so I pulled 7 packs. The base cards are very nice and my surprise pick was a black press plate for card #40, which I was quite happy with.

The sketches vary quite a lot, so how much you want to risk is up to the collector.

As for the autograph cards, it really pains me to say this because I am not a sticker fan at all, but I almost wish they were stickers. It looks like a good many of the signatures are barely standing out from the background. The design here really should have been better.

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They weren't quite as far along in autograph technology when the cards were signed (in 1993 or 1994). Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: allender,

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
They weren't quite as far along in autograph technology when the cards were signed (in 1993 or 1994).

Oh sorry, I take it back, thanks allender. I was collecting sport in 93/94 and didn't bother with Stars Wars at all. I didn't see any reference to the autograph cards in current threads and I mistakenly thought they were just done for this release. The NSU article talks about signatures on vintage cards.

In 93/94 you had to be lucky to pull any kind of autograph card, so by the standards of the time this was what you would expect to get.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did anyone know is the retail come out already??? Because I see red sketches on Ebay, but past into my local Target store and don't see any at all. And also I heard the odds for a sketch card in retail is 1 in every 48 packs, can anyone confirm this odds or if someone has a new odds???

Posts: 90 | Location: california | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I didn't see any reference to the autograph cards in current threads and I mistakenly thought they were just done for this release. The NSU article talks about signatures on vintage cards.

In 93/94 you had to be lucky to pull any kind of autograph card, so by the standards of the time this was what you would expect to get.

They used these cards as redemptions for SWG Series 2, but also as inserts in a variety of special sets. What amazes me is that they held on to more than 2500 signed cards for all this time. 42 of the 44 autos from 1994 have shown up in SWG4, and no others (except the signed Lost Yoda card). At least they overprinted the SWG4 logo on the card backs ... there was a lot of concern 15 years ago without authentication, with people wondering if base cards were signed at personal appearances or through the mail.

On the retail: There have been "sightings" at some Targets, and 1:48 is printed on the packs.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post

Revised, superlatives added:

This is one case of sketches. There was one sketch in each of 8 boxes, and 2 boxes also had a die-cut sketch. 4 boxes had a gold card, #'d to 500. There was one of the "Lost Galaxy Cards" in each box, so I got a set of 5 plus 3 extra. I got 3 of the Retro Artist Autographs. I didn't get any of the higher odds cards like the printing plates or the "Lost Yoda", but according to the odds, I guess I should have only gotten one die-cut card (1:191), and usually two Autographs, so it all balances out.

The base set is fantastic, by no means an afterthought. Fans of the "classic" Galaxy sets will be delighted to see the new cards are double-numbered. That is, they are numbered 1-120, but each card has a second number on it continuing from where 3rd set ended. I hope they keep this going, I'd love a 1,000 card base set!

General notes: Only one set can be made from each box, so there should ultimately be less of these sets than recent Topps movie issues in years to come. Also, "easy" insert sets, 6 card puzzle and 15 card foil, can't be made from one box, so there should be less of those out there too.

The autograph cards are almost certainly left- overs from the old days. When you received a Series 2 Redemption card for an autograph, no artist was listed, so Topps could send any card they wanted. I've noticed that 2 of my Autograph cards (Palmiotti & Norm Dwyer} each have remnants on the back from another or each man's autograph (as the cards were probably stacked before the ink was dry). The third autograph card I got was Ralph Reese. Unusual for this series was that it was signed on the back over Reese's picture. Almost every autograph I've seen from this set was signed on the front. Anyway, the point of this is, because these were "flawed" autographs, Topps probably did not use them as often for redemption back in 1994, and thus ended up with these extras which they've now shared with us. Ah if only Topps had certified these as authentic back in 1994, these cards (in longtime short supply on the market by my previous reasoning) might have been as sought after as the sketch cards.
But Topps didn't back then, so they're not. Anyway, I'm glad to have these certified autographs now and I'm looking to get more of them.

As for the sketches, a nice selection of characters from artists who always seem to up their respective game's for Star Wars.
Hardy's painting is a lovely rendering of that great scene on Hoth between Leia and Han, and I was delighted to have found it.
The first four boxes I opened had color sketches, so I had to stop and make sure these weren't Rittenhouse cards! Sobol's done a nice job as usual, and Edward Pun's Stormtrooper has great depth. Ink or paint on all but Jessica Hickman's and Mr. Gutz', but when you're that good with pencil, who needs it?

Finally, on the die-cuts, the Daniel Cantrell "SpongeDarth Vaderpants" (or is it "DarthBob SquareVader"?) is a hoot and the JK5 piece I've cleverly titled "I've Lost Artoo" is just a great looking card. The artist went all out in a very small area, my kudos to him, and also to Lucasfilm who, at least on the die-cut cards, approved EVERY single one of them. Wow, times have changed! I can see it now: "Star Wars Heritage II, coming in 2010, is proud to present a limited number of the notorious C-3PO vintage card #207 re-presented with startling lenticular motion technology"!

For those who like art, but hot air not as much, I shall post larger pictures of a few of these this evening.

Good luck everyone!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://pages.prodigy.net/cadamsrjaquez/galaxy4.JPG

That Salacious Crumb card is awesome.

My 3 boxes arrive today so I can't wait to get home from work.

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
A very nice group of cards. That looks like an Ingrid Hardy watercolor of Han and Leia, at the top middle.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LUZNDAVE:
quote:
http://pages.prodigy.net/cadamsrjaquez/galaxy4.JPG

That Salacious Crumb card is awesome.

My 3 boxes arrive today so I can't wait to get home from work.

I totally agree. The Crumb is totally Salacious!! Thumb Up

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post