Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Comic Images)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Comic Images)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
Box 1:

Base sets - 0 (6 cards short)
Foil cards - 3 (all the same)
Sketch cards - 1 Bob Eggleton

Box 2:

Base sets - 2
Foil cards - 3 (2 the same)
Sketch cards - 1 Matt Harris

All in all a pretty nice set except for the horrible
collation. Hopefully I can trade for the foils I need,
very pleased with the sketches...

Greg

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Nice sketches, Greg. I like those!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of dmatsuda
posted Hide Post
Awesome sketches! Congrats! Clap

Posts: 1446 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
I'm going to refrain from making editorial comments about this set and the manufacturor. Mad Besides this, I mean.

I purchased one box of Godzilla King of the Monsters, because Godzilla is my favorite giant monster (The original one anyway, not the jig dancing, drop kicking lamebutt dribbled on us in the later films).
Anyway...

Out of this box I got:

7 cards short of a 72 card base set.
Nowhere near a second set.
3 foil cards - all the same.
1 nice sketch of Mothra
(not Godzilla Frown but what the hey!)

The packs produced endlessly repeating numbers -I got the exact same pack 5 times and a different group 4 times.
The collation, needless to say, is terrible.

I sprung for the binder because, hey, it's Godzilla and all.
That came with pages at least but nothing else.
The cover image is surely not one of the better shots. Not terrible, but again, disappointing.

I've got to go.
I'm working up a blast of radioactive fire and feeling the need to stomp on something.
[End of not editorializing]

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Cool sketch cards Greg.

That's to bad about the collation. Hopefully a few trades and you can fill in the holes.

Only 2 break downs so far? Perhaps collectors are still waiting for their boxes. I'm curious to know if the collation is bad as a whole or if Mike was one of the unlucky ones.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
i broke a box. Every single pack all the cards were instered in numeric order, which was odd. also, i only got one foil in the box. the sketch i got was sorta mothra...its hard to read. Overall the poster memoribilia cards were cool (not real memor, just a subset listing), and the information on the back with apperances of certain monsters was neat, but the inserts were lacking in this set, and i got WAY to many repeats, couldnt make a set.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started a dialogue with CI last week and was going to post all info at that time with title of "Godzilla: The good, the bad and the ugly", but might as well start and add to this thread.
I always liked Godzilla as card theme and have over 20 different sets, so bought alot of this. Opened 2 cases!

The Good: Smile Very nice set. Good images and text; well thought out. Nice sketch cards too! (except for 1).

The bad: Mad Absolute horrid collation. Don't expect a set from a box.
1st case:
- only 3 boxes had base set in them
- 2 boxes had multiple dupes (6 of same base card in pack) and less than 30 different base cards.
- 11 sketches as 1 box missing sketch.
- 21 sets; leaving 1033 extra singles
- 36 foil cards, but only got 5 of the 6. No sets. Missing lower right puzzle piece.

2nd case:
- only 2 boxes had base set in them
- 3 boxes had multiple dupes and less than 30 different base cards.
- 10 sketches as 2 box missing sketch.
- 17 sets; leaving 1322 extra singles
- 36 foil cards, but only 1 set.

Later today I'll see how many more sets I'll make from all the singles. Combining foils from both case made 4 sets total.

The ugly: Shake Head Appears that the packs with all the same base card in them were error/variation cards. I'm thinking that they weren't supposed to get out. Might actually be almost every card in that box. Two cards have different images on back (16,19), two have incomplete last sentences (15,20), and whole bunch with what looks like 'bold' paragraph text instead of 'not bold'. I think that will cover cards 1-30, but maybe more/all? By having 'bold' text, it affected the alignment of paragraph. In some, it's obvious as words wrap to different lines (3,5,20), but it's more subtle in others as punctuation mark (',' or '.') will appear to bottom right under 'tm' mark when bold, but directly under the 'tm' mark when 'not bold'. For cards without a punctuation under 'tm', like #14, almost impossible to tell if different. Since I had many packs with only #14, I could make that assumption. For completists, this can drive us nuttier than usual. To date, I've found differences for cards 3,5-9, 13-16, 18-30.

Here are some images of variations. If anyone finds more, please post.

Back photo variations: Top row is 'normal'?

Text variations 1

text variations 2

Posts: 332 | Location: NJ | Registered: November 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I broke 2 boxes of this product. After ordering them months ago, my anticipation was quite high. Out of the combined boxes, this is what I got:

1 base set
(3 copies of the same 6 cards will net me 3 more sets)
5 foil cards (4 were the same however)
NO sketches

I have written to CI to see if they can do anything about not getting the sketches, otherwise if anyone wants to trade commons or foils let me know.

Posts: 275 | Location: California | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glim:

otherwise if anyone wants to trade commons or foils let me know.

I've got a Godzilla trade list posted in the trading forum. Take a look and let's see if we can help each other out!

Greg

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had the same type of bad luck which seemed to plague this set. After all these years of producing non-sports it was very disappointing that CI had this released with the awful collation. Opened 2 boxes. First box could make 1 base set with plenty of cards left over with what could have been another set (like other card companies seem to pull off), 3 foil chase cards and 1 sketch card with no idea of what it is supposed to be. 2nd box had no base sets, 3 foil cards and no sketch card.

Posts: 420 | Location: USA | Registered: October 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's five boxes so far without a sketch card. Eek

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
and some with missing foils (per average) with horrible collation. wish i had that 60 bucks back to spend on something like LOTR lol

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glim:

NO sketches

I have written to CI to see if they can do anything about not getting the sketches...

CI has replied saying they would resolve this. I will post with what I get, but so far things look good.

Posts: 275 | Location: California | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, CI 'made good' with me also. I assume they will with all customers.

Posts: 332 | Location: NJ | Registered: November 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those of us with similar problems which way would be the best way in getting touch with them?

Posts: 420 | Location: USA | Registered: October 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dmc913
posted Hide Post
any more sketch cards we can see? (stuff_guy...?!?)

Posts: 251 | Location: WV | Registered: September 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by non-sportcards:
For those of us with similar problems which way would be the best way in getting touch with them?

I emailed them at:
customerservice@comicimages.com

I received the sketches today. I am pretty happy with what they sent me.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
Broke 2 boxes of Godzilla from CI. First box I got sequentially numbered cards in most packs, no regular set. Now the best part. The second box yielded 36 packs each containing the same six cards numbered 15-20. How's that for really poor collation. That's what you get for using cheap labor.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Martine
posted Hide Post
Reading the comments on this page, I guess my husband's a lucky guy... I got him a box of Godzilla, and here are the results:

Base set: 1 complete, 2 cards missing for a second one, some more for a third one
Foil: 3 (1 duplicate) - power towers (bottom left) and against planes (bottom right)
And a really great sketch - from all the Godzilla sketches I've seen here and there, it is one of my favorite Thumb Up

Hubby loves this set, and so do I Wink

I think that CI has actually greatly improved the quality of their cards, but I was really surprised at seeing most of the collations that people here got. I actually became kind of nervous before he opened his box Wink

Off to the trading board to see if I can trade the duplicate foil and find the missing base cards for an additional set or two.

Later Wave

PS: sorry about the size of the sketch, but I'm not quite sure how to make it smaller. Any tips are appreciated...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Martine,

Posts: 407 | Location: South Texas, USA | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Cardz_house
posted Hide Post
Martine,

Its indeed a great sketch, very much different from what I have seen so far.

Well done! Thumb Up

Some of my traders: Star*Mystyk, davelennox, Jack London, Chris Byrne, TAT, spidergoblin, Brimaster, cverdec, mac13, mars53, Ryan Cracknell, wuher, angelchick182, FRANK AMICO, batmancity, Card Reaper, Over_Worked_Mom, Dewman, THX2112, venom5liter, batmancity, barobehere, KADRAN00157, browninga5m, trade-a-card, FCB, wolfie, ghostrider666, Brian A. Davis, s8zaphod, Cee_Jay

Posts: 1451 | Location: Singapore | Registered: January 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post