Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Batman Archives (Rittenhouse 2008)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Batman Archives (Rittenhouse 2008)
 Login/Join

Picture of steshell
posted Hide Post
Fantastic sketch cards, now we need Superman Archives

Posts: 234 | Location: Telford, Shropshire, United Kingdom | Registered: September 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Wow, this looks to be one of rare sketch-driven sets where the "sketch" cards are pretty much all finished drawings. Rittenhouse reliably delivers real quality to collectors, and they've done it again.

The artists, many European I believe, have clearly gone all out with their cards, which could really help to establish them in the land of Marvel and DC, a fact not likely lost in their efforts.

I've got a few boxes to open, and will post sketches tonight. Right off the "bat" Roll Eyes, I can say the base cards (a gallery of 70 years worth of famous Batman comic covers) look great, but I would have liked artist credits on back.

The insert sets are great. The vintage style Batman cards show a genuine respect for a Non-Sports cards that warms my old-timey card stock heart. The Tim Sale set is beautiful, and looks better in person than on a computer monitor. The Lenticulars seem a little thicker than the ones in DC Legacy, and don't chip on the back edges as easily as Legacy's did.

This set is a big improvement on DC Legacy overall, and I thought that was a nice set!
Women of Marvel soared. Batman Archives will sell out fast, so "Fantastic Four" later this year could give RA three classics in a row. I'm saving up for "FF" now!

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nevets
posted Hide Post
11 more

Posts: 168 | Location: Portland | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
And the great sketches just keep coming. I love the Batmobile and the Commissioner Gordon is excellent.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, I tried to put together a cheat sheet since I do not know many of these artists signatures yet. So far I have signatures for all but 4 of the artists listed on Rittenhouse's website. Only problem is that I have 5 signatures that I don't who they belong too. I guess Rittenhouse list isn't up to date. Any help on these last 5 would be greatly appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tevans333,

Posts: 226 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Here's a half case, heavy on the ladies, it seems. No complaints here. Big Grin

Great stuff from Rittenhouse who have done it again!

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tevans333:
Only problem is that I have 5 signatures that I don't who they belong too. I guess Rittenhouse list isn't up to date. Any help on these last 5 would be greatly appreciated.

The last signature is Tone Rodriguez.

The confirmation is on Tangent's DC Legacy Signature Database:
http://www.jbadham.biz/Cards/sigsDCLegacy.htm

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi_Collector:
quote:
Originally posted by tevans333:
Only problem is that I have 5 signatures that I don't who they belong too. I guess Rittenhouse list isn't up to date. Any help on these last 5 would be greatly appreciated.

The last signature is Tone Rodriguez.

The confirmation is on Tangent's DC Legacy Signature Database:
http://www.jbadham.biz/Cards/sigsDCLegacy.htm

Yup, last Unknown is Tone Rodriguez, 3rd unknown is Cassaro.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardinalfan13
posted Hide Post
only opened i box saving money for indy masterpiece 2 cases this time around

here is my sketch

Posts: 614 | Location: Missouri | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cverdec
posted Hide Post
I got 1/2 a case and it broke well:
  • 9 Base Sets
  • 2 Complete Gum Card Sets + extras
  • 1 Complete Dark Victory Set + extras
  • 6 of 9 Lenticular Cards (no Duplicates)

Sketches are (Left to Right & Top to Bottom)
  • Robin by Tamura (of 397)
  • Catwoman by Marcelo Ferreira (of 399)
  • Batgirl by Andy Price Big Grin (of 300)
  • Two-face by Chris Bolson (of 100)
  • Azrael by Magno (of 200)
  • Batman by Marcelo Di Chiara (of 300)

Chris

Posts: 920 | Location: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: August 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I've opened half a case so far, and it seems I'm in the minority, but I'm not thrilled with
this set. The base set is just like many of the Comic Images sets, just cover reproductions, not too exciting. The "Dark Victory" inserts are dull, the comic retro set is fine, but the lenticular set looks just like the DC set. The sketch cards are ok, but they are just that - ok. Nothing along the lines of a "home run" here, just colored cookie-cutter cards in my opinion. Frown

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cverdec
posted Hide Post
Batman-
You are not alone. I was happy with my sketches, but feel the base sets and chase cards are on the boring side. The same artwork on both sides of the cards and no writing/text on the card backs. I was hoping for a more art driven set and not jsut reproductions of Comic Book Covers. Shake Head Shake Head

Chris

Posts: 920 | Location: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: August 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As a sketch collector, having even a single fantastic sketch inserted into such a limited run (7,500 boxes) makes the chase worthwhile to me as long as I have a chance, even a slight one, of pulling an actual "work of art". And there are undeniable beauties in here, Andy Price's cards leap to mind. So I recommend at least one box for even a casual sketch card collector.

As a fan of comics going back to the start, the autograph of Jerry Robinson on a beautifully designed authenticated card is priceless to me and there about 600 or so more out for others there as case toppers. This is a real treat for Golden Age fans, and I commend RA for its inclusion.

Non-Sports card wise, I do totally agree with Batman's post (and how can you not agree with Batman on this of all sets?) that the base set which could have showed more imagination. That said, it was nicely designed for what it was, and collector's do eventually seem to like these "cover" sets, as those old Comic Images ones are in most comprehensive Marvel Card collections or at least on want lists for the same.

This cover set does feature a great selection Batman cover artists and I hope to get at least a few signed at upcoming conventions.

The Tim Sale cards will benefit if you like his art. If you don't particularly care for his work, I could definitiely see being less than pleased with those cards, espically at "insert" odds. I have enjoyed following Sale's work from the start (with "Grendel" and "Thieves World Graphics" in the eighties) so I am biased in their favor.

I do find the Lenticulars a nice complement to the ones from DC Legacy. These are easier to get at one per box, but there are three more this time out (9 vs. 6 in DC Legacy), so it's a tough set to make, and there will only ever be less than 900 sets of them total (and that's only were all of the cards reunited, not likely).

Anyway, I think this will be popular set in the future, and I do hope for a Superman Archives set.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Just got two boxes to "test the water" Well happy with the results.
From two boxes:

3 base sets with spares
Dark Victory 1,2,4,8
Lenticular 1,5,7
Retro 3(x2),5(x2),6,7(x2),8
Sketches

Riddler by Jorge Correa (300)
Clayface by Sam Hart (220)

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
My cards have arrived (YAY Clap). I like the idea of a large covers gallery in the base set but, like previous comments, it would have been great to have artist credits. Also, I would have like some other base cards about major storylines with original artwork or other relevant images to supplement the covers.

The base cards and lenticular are nice. I like the style of the Dark Victory covers but I didn't like the miniseries so it seems an odd choice for an insert set. Anyway, sketch cards from case 1 (I got the appropriate number of chase but you've all seen them):

- Nonato, Firefly
- Sam Hart, Batwoman
- Oak, Robin
- Unknown artist, Batman
- Pinna, Barbara Gordon
- Staton, Batgirl

- Uko Smith, Harley Quinn
- Al Bigley, Robin
- Sam Hart, Commissioner Gordon
- Neves, Riddler
- Cordiero, Batman
- Oliveira, Bane

My favourites are the Batgirl and the Commissioner Gordon.

Will post more when I open them.

Jen

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tangent,

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Sketch cards from case 2:

- Tone Rodriguez, Catwoman
- Uko Smith, Mad Hatter?
- Merlo, Joker
- Sict, Batman
- Jose Carlos, Robin
- Steve Russel, Batman

- Samicler, Batman's shadow
- Rod Reis, Robin (Stephanie)
- Oliveiro, Hush
- Tamura, Manbat
- Cassaro, Scarecrow
- ???, Killer Croc

Before opening packs, my objective was to get (action) sketches of Batman, Nightwing, Robin, Huntress and Oracle. Since seeing the breaks, I have added the various support characters to my wants: Commissioner Gordon, Alfred etc and Batman universe items like the Batmobile, Bat-signal.

The Samicler shadow is a simple sketch, but I really like the concept of the shadow stretching down the alley. The Merlo Joker is probably the best sketch so far. It's unfortunate I don't like the character! The Killer Croc sketch oozes malevolence.

Jen

Picture of Forever Man
posted Hide Post
Thought i'd take a crack at this.Here is what i pulled.

Lenticular-L5
Dark Victory-1,3
Retro-1,3,5,8

Poison Ivy By Sict

http://s155.photobucket.com/al...7/Shootingstarpress/
For Her I Can Be A Hero!

Posts: 158 | Location: Somewhere In Time | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Sketch cards from case 3 (last case):

- Rick Stasi, Batman
- Eddy Barrows, Catwoman
- Tamura, Batman
- Merlo, Harley Quinn
- Raapack, Two-Face
- Marcelo Ferreira, Batman + Commissioner

- Unsigned, Batman
- Magno, Riddler
- Marcelo Ferreira, Mr Freeze
- Andy Price, Bat-Tech
- James Cordeiro, Batman
- Jorge Correa, Killer Croc

Of the 36 sketches in 3 cases, I got sketches by 26 different artists as well as 2 unsigned that I think are by others so distribution was great. My absolute favourite is the Price Bat-Tech. I love the Bat Universe feel, with the shout to the double page comic spreads with Batcave maps etc. I would have liked more of the secondary good-guys (eg Nightwing, Huntress) but am happy overall and I have enough quality bad-guy sketches to trade.

Jen

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
There have been several signature id links mentioned, but since I said I would post the link when I did mine, I thought I should. The Batman Archives signature page is here. I will add the two archive box artists when I find them.

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Nice Catwoman! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post