Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Batman Archives (Rittenhouse 2008)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Batman Archives (Rittenhouse 2008)
 Login/Join

Picture of Thush
posted Hide Post
tangent, any chance of a close-up of the Bat Tech sketch please (in landscape too)? Love Andy Price's work on recent sets and his sketches for this set are up to his usual standards.

Posts: 385 | Location: London, UK | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Sure, here it is

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Thush
posted Hide Post
Very distinctive. Thanks tangent. That's an awesome sketch.

Posts: 385 | Location: London, UK | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
What's with the artists who evidently think Harley Quinn is a man?

-Bob-

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Finally finished opening, sorting and scanning my case. Odds were spot on, every box had a sketch, a lenticular, 2 dark victory and 4 retro gum cards, nothing short and no extras. Made 1 complete lenticular set, 2 Dark Victory sets and 5 gum sets.

1 Jorge Correa- Batman (300)
2 Sict- Batman (299)
3 Uko Smith- Mr. Freeze (?)
4 Renato Guedes- Batman (201)

5 Eddy Barrows- Batman (290)
6 Jack Jadson- Robin (298)
7 Al Bigley- Joker (200)
8 James Cordeiro- Bat Girl (296)

9 Eddy Barrows- Robin (290)
10 Eddy Barrows- Poison Ivy (290)
11 Chris Bolson- Catwoman (100)
12 Andy Price- Batman & Robin (300)

Case loader and insert sets

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Nice group of sketches you got there. A bit heavy on the Eddy Barrows, but at least you got good ones of his. The Robin and Poison Ivy, in particular, are the best Barrows sketches I have seen.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a relative late comer to comics and non-sports cards, I was eagerly awaiting this release. I have a healthy obsession with Catwoman, and I enjoy the main villains (Penguin, Scarecrow, Mr Freeze, etc).

So I peeled the plastic off the first box. First pack I flipped through, the cards really stood out. I like the gloss/matte fronts. Always have always will. However, I thought there was too much white space, but it may be just me. First card I really looked at was #61, which is of issue #650 (April 2006). Then I saw that the front had "Classic Covers" as the logo at the bottom. 2006 doesn't scream "classic" at me, but oh well. As I flipped through more packs, I realized they were all "Classic Covers". And all the cards are of covers. I had hoped there would be more of a variety of types of cards, but they are all covers. Can you tell I haven't bought much Rittenhouse before?

Anyway, you can't go wrong with a lenticular card per box, and I loved the Dark Victory insert set.

My very random thoughts and observations:
-they are all covers from the titular comic. No Detective Comics (and certainly no image of iconic issue 27), no JLA, no World's Finest Comics. No variety.
-no Batman 171, the first cover appearance of Riddler. I didn't check for most of the villains, but I did notice first cover appearances of Joker, Mr Freeze, and Poison Ivy
-no Batman 12--I just love the cover of Batman and Boy Wonder driving an Army jeep. But they did have Batman 27, so Santa Claus makes up for it!
-I know it's one of the standard set sizes for RA, but it's a small 63-card set considering there are 679 issues in the title (680 if you count #0).
-the reverse pretty much has a blown-up representation of the comic cover, the issue, and the issue's release date. Since this was so obviously focused on covers, I would have liked to have at least seen the cover artist name.
-the words "Batman Archives" appears absolutely nowhere on the actual base cards, and only in logo form on the reverse of the sketch cards and the Dark Victory cards
-the Bubble Gum cards were a nice touch for the vintage folks, but I would have preferred to see more imagination in the base set

My two boxes yielded:
Full sets plus numerous extras
Bubble Gum BG2 (x2), BG4, BG5, BG6 (x2), BG7, BG9
Lenticular L2 (Robin), L5 (Riddler)
Dark Victory DV2, DV3, DV5, DV9

A nice Scarecrow sketch:

And a nice Batgirl sketch:

Despite my negative comments, I liked the set. It's my own fault that I try not to spoil myself with too many spoiler-like details on box purchases, so I'm completely to blame for my disappointment. However, that all aside, I give this a solid 3/5 Batarangs.

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Yes, the base set of 'classic' covers is very odd. DC Legacy was a lot better, focussing on characters then and now. I hadn't realised they missed first issues of major characters. As well as the artist name, I really wanted to know what was classic about the cover. I think it's the cover art rather than covers of 'classic' stories, but it's hard to tell.

Both are great sketches, let me know if you want to trade that Batgirl for baddies Wink

Jen

Picture of nevets
posted Hide Post
One more box!

And the 3 case incentive

Posts: 168 | Location: Portland | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Forever Man
posted Hide Post
Awesome pull!

http://s155.photobucket.com/al...7/Shootingstarpress/
For Her I Can Be A Hero!

Posts: 158 | Location: Somewhere In Time | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Broke 2 boxes in the hopes of some awesome sketch cards. Pulled 2 Robin Sketches. I like to tell myself the Nonato Is a Jason Todd Robin.

Posts: 18 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiles101:
Broke 2 boxes in the hopes of some awesome sketch cards. Pulled 2 Robin Sketches. I like to tell myself the Nonato Is a Jason Todd Robin.

They are both excellent sketches.

I actually hit this forum to post the break of the archive box I bought, as well as the McHaley incentive I had not got round to scanning.

Archive box had exact sets for the chase sets, a Jerry Robinson auto (which I wasn't expecting) and these 10 sketches:

The 3 case incentive from my earlier break is:

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Opened 1 box.

I think this is the Azrael version of Batman after the Knightfall story
Sketch by Amilton Santos

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of king-beez
posted Hide Post
These are my 4 favourite sketches from my case. The Andy Price sketch is also signed on the reverse and he has added "A STRANGE AND COWARDLY LOT"
Thumb Up

Posts: 25 | Location: Bristol, UK | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
That Price villains card is great!

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's quite a pull, congratulations! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Forever Man
posted Hide Post
I agree great pull!

For Her I Can Be A Hero!

Posts: 158 | Location: Somewhere In Time | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of king-beez
posted Hide Post
Thanks - the other sketches in the case weren't bad either.

Posts: 25 | Location: Bristol, UK | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of alfster
posted Hide Post
Got my 2 boxes last week I'll just post the sketches butthe Batman Black cards are sweet looking.

I love this sketch Thanks Andy Price.

Tamura. Riddler with rubicks cubs

For without Blood there is no Power.
Where is my Power?.
My Power is with the Blood of Souls,
Flowing like a river into my veins giving me my Power.
I will not lose my Power until my Soul looses me.

A.S.

Posts: 167 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Forever Man
posted Hide Post
You can't help but love those andy price cards!

quote:
Originally posted by alfster:
Got my 2 boxes last week I'll just post the sketches butthe Batman Black cards are sweet looking.

I love this sketch Thanks Andy Price.

Tamura. Riddler with rubicks cubs

For Her I Can Be A Hero!