Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Pop Century 2013 (Leaf, 2013)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pop Century 2013 (Leaf, 2013)
 Login/Join

Picture of Hyperion
posted
Got 1 box of this!

BA-TH2 Tonya Harding
AN-AM1 Ali Macgraw 02/25
CS-24 Mark Spitz and Janet Evans (Co-stars)
Y.A. Tittle 1/1 Autographed sketch by Jay Pangan! Smile

I think the sketches in this series fall 1 per case, so very happy to get one in my box. I don`t know Mr. Tittle, but understand he was a great NFL- player Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: March 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the sketch auto! Y.A. Tittle was a quarterback for the New York Giants and was famed for his "Alley-Oop" pass where he'd throw the football to the very corner of the end zone where only his receiver could catch it. It's a very common play these days, but it was pretty revolutionary 60 years ago.

Jay Pangan did some nice cards for this series, and the Gary Kezele sketches for this set are fantastic. He's right up there with Sean Pence for doing spot on likenesses and has proven to be extremely versatile in doing so.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There really are some great sketches in this product, such a shame they are spoiled by those awful stickers Frown .

I have picked up a few singles off Ebay of people who have not signed previously but would have bought a lot of boxes if the signatures had been on card.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Pop Century and its brethren truly have made for a lot of autographs that might not have otherwise existed, all signatures from true limited editions in the popular standard card size. They are widely collectible precisely because they are easily authenticated, and the stickers, a lamentable money saving invention, at least do help prove they are the real thing.

Modern adhesives are pretty good. Stored properly, the stickers also should outlive us all, and everyone who signed them, so I don't mind them all that much. It's more important I know they're real.

An "on card" autograph is approximately 997 times better than a sticker auto, but what Star Wars card collector doesn't want a Topps Harrison Ford Han Solo card despite it being on a sticker? Please send me yours if you are that rare and admirable person who has one but doesn't want it due to it being on a sticker. I will take on your burden, brother, and suffer in silence.

Beyond the autographs, a lot of the hybrid base card sets are very thoughtfully made, the mix of sport and non sport subjects in an "old timey" style, like on vintage tobacco cards, an idea as old as cards themselves, has made for some nice sets. Panini Golden Age is exquisitely done, both this year and last and I hope there will be more.

I trace these modern sets back to the first Topps American Pie in 2001, which was very popular from the start, with non-sport memorabilia and buyback entertainment autographs alongside the usual baseball autographs and jersey cards. Since then, Studio Americana, Panini Golden Age, a new set of Topps American Pie two years ago, and Razor Pop Century have all made some great cards, with the upcoming Topps 75 promising another ambitious entry.

There are no "base" cards in this new Pop Century set, right? You get 4 packs in a box with one card each, and all 4 cards are signed?

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hyperion
posted Hide Post
That`s right Chesspieceface Smile 4 cards in a box, all with at least one autographed sticker Smile

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: March 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If I hadn't spent so much already this summer, I'd have likely picked up a box already and still might. The sketchagraphs (first seen in Star Wars Galaxy 6?) are pretty cool, even with the stickers. There are some double auto cards and are there a limited number of cut signatures, too, aren't there?

For the many who like the on-card autographs better than stickers, both years of Panini Golden Age are on-card. I don't think they use stickers in that set at all.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Opened 3 boxes yesterday:

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post