Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Thor: The Dark World (Upper Deck, 2013)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thor: The Dark World (Upper Deck, 2013)
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
Surprised there's not a thread for this already...

Opened 4 boxes so far, they are loaded with goodies. Would have liked an actor's signature, but what can you do????

A Total of 16 "Hits"
DM-8, DM-7, DM-5, DM-1
Thor by Cris Santos, Hercules by Chris Bradberry, Character?? by Cal Slayton, Thor by Kat Laurange

49-AV 2/10, 38-AV 7/10
DMT-5, DMD-2
DMD-9, DMT-7
CA-SB, Yellow Plate for Card 52

Comic Auto is Walt Simonson and Sal Buscema. You can't really get a better pedigree than that.

The Thor by Kat Laurange is amazing, the lightning around the hammer is glittered. Very cool effect.

Missing one character ID. Any help with the Slayton sketch?

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
The sketch looks like the Executioner.
http://www.comicvine.com/executioner/4005-3517/

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have yet to see any stores with these. Looks like the internet is the only way to go to get them. I think the box price scares many stores from picking them up. I may have to wait until I get some more $.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Simonson/Buscema dual autograph. Those guys worked on a huge majority of the greatest Thor Comics ever.

There actually was a breakdown for a couple of cases of this and that thread was opened on December 13th, so maybe the moderator can combine the two? The other one shows most of the autographs as that guy (Hippiemkt) did really well, but it didn't show off the sketches from the series which this new break does.

Regarding the sketches in this series, it's another home run offering from Upper Deck. One release after another with generally well drawn sketches and most in color (new Marvel Masterpieces trilogy, Marvel Beginnings Trilogy, Iron Man 2 & 3, Thor 1 & 2, Cap, The Avengers) something that Topps cannot boast from set to set. Don't get me wrong, there are some real beauties in Topps releases, but I would say the average sketch in an Upper Deck product is approximately twice as good as the average sketch in a Topps product and that means the time has long passed for Topps to raise their minimum standards for acceptable sketches. Upper Deck continues to throw down the gauntlet by providing collectible sketches on just about every card.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Thanks Raj, I believe you are correct.

Frank, I imagine that most stores would not want to take the risk on a non-sport product with an SRP of $5 a Pack. I'm guessing that orders were light and that's why the boxes are so loaded.

Sorry about the duplicate thread. I used search and didn't fine one, but I've never had much success with the site's search function.

Ed

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANK AMICO:
I have yet to see any stores with these. Looks like the internet is the only way to go to get them. I think the box price scares many stores from picking them up. I may have to wait until I get some more $.

Is it not UD's policy that distribution is limited to select outlets for the first 90 days or something like that? And I thought only certain brick and mortar stores could get UD product and no wholesale selling to unauthorized dealers or internet dealers.

As to the product, I agree the sketches are generally of a higher quality and the other hits are well done. The problem with the UD formula on Marvel sets for me is the short list of available autographs and the long odds on pulling any of them.

These cards are based not merely on Marvel characters, but on the prevailing movie, be it Ironman or Captain America or Thor or the Avengers. As such, actor autographs are expected and it is viewed as being more than a sketch product. However UD doesn't get enough autographs from any of these Marvel films to seed in at even every other box.

I consider it a big drawback for me as an autograph collector, but UD shows no signs of changing its signature mix in the Marvel sets, so that's that for me.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of clearblue
posted Hide Post
i think it's the perfect mix. one in every 2 boxes would just water down the value of the cards. ud can keep this format and i'll be thrilled..

Posts: 366 | Location: Richmond | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clearblue:
i think it's the perfect mix. one in every 2 boxes would just water down the value of the cards. ud can keep this format and i'll be thrilled..

True, but what good is keeping the value high for secondary market buyers if you are the collector who can't afford to buy it. Wink

Think about it. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a case for Christmas (and have one more on the way Friday). This is prob my favorite non sports release of the year. My case was LOADED. The highlights include:

Quad Costume Thor/Sif/Fandral/Volstagg
Anthony Tan Hera Sketch
Darren Chandler 2-Piece Puzzle Sketch
Ray Stevenson Autograph Costume
Jamie Alexander Autograph
Tom Hiddleston Autograph
Chris Hemsworth Autograph
&
Chris Hemsworth Autograph Costume

Posts: 109 | Location: Ormond Beach, FL | Registered: June 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hyperion
posted Hide Post
Nice breaks! Although there is another thread started some time ago Wink

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....477060736#8477060736

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: March 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
First Case

Sketches
Rodrigo Martins, Javier Winnik, Cris Santos
Alex Magno, Ivan Rodriguez, Arley Arturo Tucker
David Lee, Ian Yoshio Roberts, J(ay)

Costumes
DM-1 Darcy
DM-2 Fandral x2
DM-4 Loki x2
DM-5 Odin x2
DM-6 Erik Selvig x2
DM-8 Thor
DM-9 Volstagg x2
DMD-1 Jane/Fandral
DMD-2 Jane/Selvig
DMD-3 Jane/Sif
DMD-7 Darcy/Jane
DMD-10 Thor/Loki
DMD-11 Thor/Odin
DMD-12 Thor/Selvig
DMD-13 Selvig/Fandral
DMD-14 Jane/Odin
DMD-15 Darcy/Sif x2
DMT-8 Darcy/Fandral/Jane

Printing Plates
Card #20 (magenta)
Card #33 (yellow)

Autos
JA Jaimie Alexander
HL Chris Hemsworth/Zachary Levi
CA-FB Matt Fraction/Dan Brereton
CA-RR Robert Rodi/Esad Ribic
CA-PC Mike Carey/Mike Perkins

Inserts
Aether Variants - 5,8,11,13,16,19,21,22,26,30,33,34,35,36,37,41,44,50,55,57,59 & 60
Red Aether Variants - 7, 33 & 48
Stickers - 2 complete sets, 45 extras

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Miss Lizzy,

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Did great on my 4 boxes so I had to try a case. The case wasnt bad but not as good as the previous 4 boxes.

Box 1

Box 2

Box 3 (nice Jim Cheung sketch)

Box 4 (best for last)

Here are just the sketches and movie autos. The wardrobes were a bit disappointing since I only got 1 triple and no quads. The 2 plates were very nice. I also got 3 comic autos. Can you use some help on 2of the artists and the one character.

Ares by Mike Vasquez, Ares by Marcus Huey, Hulk by Mauro Fodra
Thor/loki by Babisu Kourtis, Beta Ray Bill by Jed Thomas, Hela by ?

? by ?, Thor/Mephisto by Rustico Limosinero, Blob by Chris Foreman

Posts: 18 | Location: ny | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Second Case

Sketches
Mike "Locoduck" Duron, Bien Flores, MJ San Juan
Jed Thomas, Mauro Fodra, David Hindelang

Mike Vasquez, Ajhay Cerezo
Javier Winnik, Walter Rice

Costumes
DM-1 Darcy
DM-2 Fandral x2
DM-3 Jane x2
DM-4 Loki
DM-5 Odin x2
DM-6 Erik Selvig
DM-7 Sif x3
DM-8 Thor
DMD-1 Fandral/Jane
DMD-6 Selvig/Loki
DMD-7 Darcy/Jane
DMD-8 Jane/thor
DMD-9 Thor/Sif
DMD-12 Thor/Selvig
DMD-13 Selvig/Fandral x2
DMT-1 Thor/Jane/Darcy
DMT-4 Thor/Jane/Loki
DMT-8 Darcy/Fandral/Jane

Printing Plates
Card CA-JE (magenta)
Card CA-MF (cyan)
these were in the same pack!

Autos
AD Jaimie Alexander/Kat Dennings
MA-ZL Zachary Levi auto/costume
ZL Zachary Levi
JA Jaimie Alexander
CA-JE Dan Jurgens/Richard Starkings

Inserts
Aether Variants - 4(x2),8,13,16,17,19,21,22,28,30,21,34(x2),39,44,50,52,55,57 & 60
Red Aether Variants - 18, 40, 42
Stickers - haven't sorted these out yet - I'm assuming 2 sets + a bunch of extras

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Not sure why I would get a Captain America sketch in a Thor box. Looks like other characters not in the film are there as well. It would have been nice to at least get a complete base set-I was 5 cards short. Considering how expensive these boxes are that would have been nice.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure why I would get a Captain America sketch in a Thor box. Looks like other characters not in the film are there as well. It would have been nice to at least get a complete base set-I was 5 cards short. Considering how expensive these boxes are that would have been nice.

Not sure if the number of cards and inserts in packs guarantees a full base set. If it does you could always try contacting UD.

As far as sketch characters goes, any Marvel character could be used for sketches in this product. It was the same thing in the first Thor movie set. I pulled one of Captain America, a Thor and some character with a crystal ball that I really didn't recognize.

Don't know why UD decided to include the whole Marvel Universe in the Thor sets, but when you buy Ironman the only subject you get in every sketch is a posed Ironman. Let me tell you its darn boring, even when the sketch is done well. So the greater variety of subjects in Thor is not a bad thing to me, unless of course you really only wanted a sketch of Thor or those related to Thor.

Also all sketches from Thor sets are based on drawings of the comic characters rather than anything in any of the Marvel films. Artists are not allowed to draw actor likenesses or scenes from the films. That is kind of a shame, but I guess its how the products are licensed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:

Captain America was in the film.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:

Since the artists cannot do movie likenesses on sketch cards, there has to be some variety. As Raven said all Thor would get boring fast.

They intentionally made sketch cards with different characters to make the artists draw those characters. Not sure how many there are but I know Hulk, Hercules, Captain America, Iron Man, Hela, Ares, Loki, and others. I think there were 10 different "base" sketches with character names.

Ed

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think there were 10 different "base" sketches with character names.

They are 15 Character Sketch Card Sequence:

CS1 Thor
CS2 Lady Sif
CS3 Warriors Three
CS4 Black Widow
CS5 Beta Ray Bill
CS6 Hercules
CS7 Iron Man
CS8 Captain America
CS9 Kurse
CS10 Hulk
CS11 Enchantress
CS12 Ares
CS13 Hela
CS14 Malekith the Accursed
CS15 Loki

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You are correct sir! Totally forgot.

quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
quote:

Captain America was in the film.

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am very pleased with my three boxes, the cards are great and the hits are worth the cost. I got

one autograph (tom hiddleston)
One printing plate
One red aether varient
Five aether cards
Three sketch cards and
Six costume cards

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 5 | Location: Michigan | Registered: August 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post