Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doom (Artbox)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
Artbox Entertainment, 2005. Got two boxes from two different places and cases. The set is very nicely produced and well written/imaged, even if it follows the generic design that I attribute to Gary Gerani, with a wide shot on the front with text in a band at the bottom, another picture on the back, and copious story text.

Sell sheets and promos advertised costume and prop cards, but the final boxes held only autos (1:box) and R1-R9 chase (5:box).

Base card collation was not stellar. First box was missing 1 card for a single set and second box was missing 5 cards from a first set. You would expect an average of 2.79 common sets in a box if collation were perfect, from 24 packs of 8 cards per pack. 1500 numbered boxes were produced, reportedly.

BOX 1:
0 base sets, 1 short of 1st, 17 short of 2nd
5 chase: 4 different, 1 dupe
Auto: Ben Daniels as Goat

BOX 2:
0 base sets, 5 short of 1st, 15 short of 2nd
5 chase: 5 different
Auto: Phil Adams as Axe Zombie

Other autos that I've seen from auctions:
- Richard Brake as Dean Portman
- Dexter Fletcher as Pinky
- Al Weaver as The Kid

One auction description identified these additional signers. But plans for the set obviously changed: deleting the costume and prop cards, and delaying release until the movie was out, hint that Artbox was not able to gather the special cards that it hoped to, and had to go ahead with the set before everybody forgot about the movie.
- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
- Rosamund Pike
- Karl Urban
- Deobia Oparei

Altogether, it's a nice set. But the final composition is going to disappoint people who preordered. Maybe that means the autos will command a premium, especially if the stars show up.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Well, the Rock auto for this set is on ebay. Cool thing is that he signed Dwayne Johnson.

Posts: 4851 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of rubadub001
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any other box breakdown info on this set?

Check out my Trade List Apr 16.09: http://nonsportupdate.infopop....&r=37010938#37010938

Posts: 654 | Location: Toronto, ON, Canada | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of comicbookfan
posted Hide Post
I opened a box for "Open that Box" day and was not overly impressed. In fact if I'd seen this breakdown I'd have never bought a box - hmm who am I kidding; I'd have still been caught up in the moment.
0 base sets 2 cards short
5 chase cards r1, r2, r4, r7, & r9
1 auto Deobia Oparei as Destroyer.
I like the auto card design and it will serve as a reminder of "Open that Box" day but the monster chase cards are up for trade.

Posts: 1089 | Location: florida | Registered: December 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought 4 boxes of Doom because the price was right and I was really hoping to pull a Rosamund Pike autograph and luck was not on my side. I only collated 1 base set and the rest will be designated for the trash bin. I didn't even finish the chase set. I got R1 x 2, R2 x 3, R3 x 3, R4 x 2, R5 x 1, R6 x 2, R7 x 3, & R8 x 3. My autograph pull were Deobia Oparei as Destroyer and Al Weaver as the Kid x 3 Mad
My hunt for the Pike autograph will continue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bacall1,

Posts: 249 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bacall1:
I bought 4 boxes of Doom because the price was right and I was really hoping to pull a Rosamund Pike autograph and luck was not on my side. I only collated 1 base set and the rest will be designated for the trash bin. I didn't even finish the chase set. I got R1 x 2, R2 x 3, R3 x 3, R4 x 2, R5 x 1, R6 x 2, R7 x 3, & R8 x 3. My autograph pull were Deobia Oparei as Destroyer and Al Weaver as the Kid x 3 Mad
My hunt for the Pike autograph will continue.

Just sent you an email. Wink

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post