Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Halo (Topps)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
Two Hobby boxes for me. Related to the whole suite of XBox games, but released to coincide with Halo 3. Boxes are 24 packs of 7 cards, expect 1.77 base sets per box, on average. Retail boxes will have foil and embossed-foil cards, and lenticular motion cards instead of sketches.

BOX 1

Base Cards: 1 complete set, many extras
Foil Cards (10, 1 in 6 packs): 1-4-7-9
Embossed Foil Cards (10, 1 in 6 packs): 1-3-4-7
Sketch Cards (12, 1 per box): Davidé Fabbri

BOX 2

Base Cards: 1 complete set, many extras
Foil Cards (10, 1 in 6 packs): 1-3-4-9
Embossed Foil Cards (10, 1 in 6 packs): only two, 4-10
Sketch Cards (12, 1 per box): Jason Hughes

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
can you post a picture of the sketches Jeff?

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter cloet:
can you post a picture of the sketches Jeff?

Aww, picky picky. First I needed to clear off all of the stuff that I had on top of the scanner, the only "available" space for sorting stuff. Then reattach the USB cord and restart the computer. The thing I have to do for art. Wink

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of riddickfan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing! Smile Thumb Up

Posts: 1491 | Location: Panama City Beach,FL | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Some deecent Sketches Smile
Thanks for shareing Smile

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Picked up a mini retail box...

6 packs per box
Basically, this is a Transformers Movie CLONE, and I mean CLONE. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

FrownCollectors be advised.

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xtime:
Picked up a mini retail box...

6 packs per box
Basically, this is a Transformers Movie CLONE, and I mean CLONE. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

FrownCollectors be advised.

Where did you find your mini-retail box? How is it a clone of Transformers??

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Fair questions...

Located them at Target.

As to the clone issue, the embossed foil, foil, and motion cards are basically the same design as Transformers, but different characters. The base cards are also of the same design, especially the backs and numbering, however Halo does have one advantage...their images are artwork, and most are pretty sharp looking.

Good hunting... Big Grin

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:
As to the clone issue, the embossed foil, foil, and motion cards are basically the same design as Transformers, but different characters. The base cards are also of the same design, especially the backs and numbering, however Halo does have one advantage...their images are artwork, and most are pretty sharp looking.

I don't want to jump off this topic but I notice from a design perspective the same thing with the back of the autograph card from Transformers Megan Fox vs. Star Wars 30th main autos, the same design. I wonder if they have cut in budget to be less original and creative or Mada Design who create all they products since the 90's don't work with Topps anymore...

Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xtime:
... The base cards are also of the same design, especially the backs and numbering, however Halo does have one advantage...their images are artwork, and most are pretty sharp looking...

Well, almost all of the Topps sets have had the same approximate base card design since the very first Lord of the Rings set. Back then the design was credited to Gary Gerani. I immediately started thinking "clone" when Artbox was bringing out their first Harry Potter set (and other properties since), and sure enough Gary was credited there too. I think it's understandable because how many mainstream options are there to display a widescreen image cleanly, with some slight variation with the titling to balance the proportions. It works, though sometimes I get confused when I sort cards from different series.

My only gripe with Halo is that some of the images are fairly dark, and it's tough to enjoy some of the details that are probably there in high-def. I was almost wondering whether some of the images were from screen shots and a higher exposure might have looked grainy. After all, video games and CGI have been known to rely on motion to trick the eye/brain interface. But it might have been a "set the mood" thing instead.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
The wife and I busted an 8 box case earlier today. The base cards remind me of the Final Fantasy movie cards. While the design for the base cards and the inserts isn't new, it does the trick. The foil inserts are exceptionally attractive and out of my 8 sketch cards, only one has me scratching my head as to what it's supposed to be.

We pulled the following from our case:
14 Base sets, with only 12 extra cards!!!
32 Foils, 3 complete sets with 2 extras.
32 Embossed, 3 complete sets with 2 extras.
8 sketch cards pictured below.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Arvin Sloane,

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
that's a nice collection of sketches. And indeed 2nd card, 2nd row ???????

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Neil
posted Hide Post
no idea on the artist but its an elite by the looks of it, then again who knows.

Posts: 1616 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
Bought some retail packs today. Got most of the 3D chase cards. (Missing #5.) They aren't that bad, ended up with quite a few extras.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post